• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local LPFM got their license to cover approved...

A

AnyHuman

Last edited by a moderator:
The really sad part about this is that someone filed a petition to deny a day before the application for KHDJ's license to cover went through. The FCC granted the license and ignored the petition. Further proof there's corruption in the FCC.

Quote from petition to deny:
"WE FOUND, HOWEVER, THERE IS NO BROADCAST SIGNAL ORIGINATING FROM THE KHDJ-LP PROPOSED SITE NOR IS THERE ANY ANTENNA NOR SIGN OF ANY BROADCAST FM ON THIS SAN ANTONIO CITY OWNED TOWER. I SPOKE WITH THE CITY OF SAN ANTONIO COMMUNICATIONS DEPT REPRESENTATIVE ELI GRACIA AND HE INDICATED THERE HAS BEEN NO ACTIVITY OF NEW CONSTRUCTION ON THIS TOWER FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. ATTACHED ARE PICTURES CONFIRMING THERE IS NO NICOM BKG77 OR ANY OTHER FM CIRCULAR BROADCAST TYPE ANTENNA ON THIS TOWER ASN 1276544 AS INDICATED ON THE KHDJ-LP CONSTRUCTION PERMIT THAT EXPIRES FEBRUARY 20,2018. I ALSO VERIFIED THAT THERE IS NO SIGNAL OR CARRIER AT 96.5 MHZ TO BE HEARD ON THE RADIO."

I guess I'll start up a 20 KW pirate and play explicit rap music and the FCC's not going to do anything. Hey the corruption probably likes the rap music.

What happens is when a station applies, they sign saying their statements are truthful. The FCC presumes the licensee will be honest as they have the most to lose. A complaint is not ignored and must be verified. Generally speaking a complaint is filed by a person with nothing at stake. If the two were weighed together, the applicant would be given the benefit of the doubt, yet the complaint would be 'proven' and if it was, the FCC would act.

It appears this station is not on the air. A station must only adhere to a minimal schedule. Typically it is 36 hours a week. It's not terribly unusual for a LPFM to be on a couple of hours, off a few hours, then on for another show for a couple of hours as they hope to fill in the hours with more shows. The lack of anything on the tower, per the complaint, says something, however.

Sometimes there is some confusion. Sometimes the engineer that files everything is off in another state filling in the blanks the licensee tells them. For example, that engineer might ask the antenna and get an "I'm not sure". Then after some questioning might ask 'does X brand sound right' and the person says yes, they are positive that's it. One guy had received a CP for one spot but had the engineer research another spot a few hundred feet away finding it will work at that spot but didn't have the money to pay the engineer at that moment. In time it was forgotten they didn't file for a change and the distant engineer files for the original spot. Sure, that's irresponsible. They corrected it.

It is way too common for LPFMs to fudge on the facts just to get the license hoping nobody will take a close look.

The FCC jumps once they have you where they want you. However long it takes to nail you to the wall is how long it takes. It's kind of like the police. They don't bring you in until they have the evidence to charge you. A witness can say something but they verify the witness statement first.

Sometimes there is some confusion. Sometimes the engineer that files everything is off in another state filling in the blanks the licensee tells them. For example, that engineer might ask the antenna and get an "I'm not sure".

If your engineer is asking questions of the antenna, it might be time to re-consider the arrangement.

Sorry b-turner, couldn't help it.

agreed! Lots of these people are trying to find somebody local to put everything in place, then they file for a license through the firm that they used to find the frequency. Many LPFM groups are navigating radio for their first time and are usually pretty broke and pretty green when it comes to FCC rules.

Looks like the FCC is now saying "APPLICATION GRANT RESCINDED" on 96.5. I guess they canceled it.

Supposedly from what someone told me KHDJ has 30 days to reply to the FCC or their station is deleted. Good for the person who filed against the station, he's from another LPFM in town.

Nothing else happened on 96.5, Luis didn't reply to the FCC's inquiry. I think KHDJ is pretty much dead. It's sad to see so many LPFMs fall through...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom