• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Houston Radio Ratings

Latest numbers, released 2/20: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

Usual situation at the top; KMJQ, KKHH, KKBQ, KSBJ and KTBZ all with a nice bump upwards.

Note that KUHF is ahead of KTRH.

None of the SportsTalkers cracked a 1.0.

The CHR format on KROI has been in the zeroes for two books now. Curious how they do in the target demos, but they are light years behind CHR KRBE and virtual CHR KHMX. The previous failed formats that Radio One had on 92.1 all did better. Format wheel getting ready to spin, yet again?

NGEN Radio on KXNG seems to have stabilized in the mid-zeroes.

KQBU has goose eggs. Don't think this simulcast is adding anything to the overall 104.9 ratings.

Classical on KUHF HD2 now back to zero. Change in PPM panelists?

Looking at these ratings makes me realize that the guy who told me the rumor that’s IHeartRadio is looking for 2 more stations in houston might not be all accurate. He told me 93.7 THE BEAT was Number 5 in ratings.

Mrtejano it is pretty clear that you cant actually see the whole book so what you see in the 12+ means nothing.

Looking at these ratings makes me realize that the guy who told me the rumor that’s IHeartRadio is looking for 2 more stations in houston might not be all accurate. He told me 93.7 THE BEAT was Number 5 in ratings.

What is wrong with #5? That's deep inside the winner's circle. In 18-34 they are a very strong and also 5th in 18-49.

The first 15 to 20 stations in 25-54 or 18-49 are generally profitable, with the highest rated ones billing more and making more. If a station has a story to tell... an exclusive format, high efficiency in a particular demo, it can bill a lot of money.

14 or 15 stations bill over $10 million (the average US station bills $600,000) and the next few are in the $6 to $8 million range.

Ad buyers don't even look at 12+. There are no ad buys against 12+.

KBXX at 10 that is not looking so good I see a format change in the near future playing the worst of the worst rap that is now running more people away than bring more listeners in is bad. If they do not hit top 5 or 6 spot in the next 4 to 6 month then a format change is very likely to happen.

KBXX at 10 that is not looking so good I see a format change in the near future playing the worst of the worst rap that is now running more people away than bring more listeners in is bad. If they do not hit top 5 or 6 spot in the next 4 to 6 month then a format change is very likely to happen.

The #4 biller in the market is not going to change format.

KBXX is #3 in 18-49 and #1 in 18-34 in the market. That's a license to make money.

This is a perfect example of how looking at the 6+ or 12+ numbers gives a totally distorted vision of the winners... and losers.

Then again, they're either all on AM or they're an FM in Beaumont.

KFNC 97.5 is no longer a “Beaumont” station. It is licensed to Mont Belvieu, which is Houston metro. Compare its numbers to the other eastern rimshots, some of which do much better (KTJM, KQQK, KHJK.)

SportsMap 94.1 (K231CN) has a decent signal over much of metro Houston.

The AM SportsTalkers have done much better in the past.

Big problem with the Gow Media stations is the poor quality of most of the local hosts. Charlie Pallilo is the only one worth listening to. The rest are awful...every time I give them a try, I quickly tune elsewhere. The moronic “guy talk” doesn’t help, either.

KBXX is #3 in 18-49 and #1 in 18-34 in the market. That's a license to make money.

This is a perfect example of how looking at the 6+ or 12+ numbers gives a totally distorted vision of the winners... and losers.

That’s why I am curious about KBXX sibling KROI. Its Rhyhmic CHR format is aimed directly at 18-34, but the overall numbers are terrible. Are they doing much better in the target demo, enough to justify keeping the current format?

As I said, KMBE did much better during baseball season. But I agree with your comment about Gow.

I don't know about you, but I don't care about the NBA until the playoffs. Even though the Rockets are doing well, it's just too early to care.

Since the ratings link that lead this thread was 12+, maybe someone can post the ratings that actually matter like 18-34. And if 12+ is largely irrelevant, why does Nielsen persist in measuring/publishing it; for instance, the category seems like a way for competitors of KQBT to claim it's #14, when it's really #5 - and so on.

Since the ratings link that lead this thread was 12+, maybe someone can post the ratings that actually matter like 18-34. And if 12+ is largely irrelevant, why does Nielsen persist in measuring/publishing it; for instance, the category seems like a way for competitors of KQBT to claim it's #14, when it's really #5 - and so on.
Those cost money. They aren't free.

Nielsen makes the 6+ and 12+ ratings available to the public without cost because these ratings are essentially meaningless.
All other ratings are sold to stations, advertising agencies, etc. Those ratings are not available to the general public.

Users of ratings are generally ad agencies and more sophisticated large advertisers. They understand that, in the process of getting the data that is needed, Nielsen has to measure the whole market, from the youngest to the oldest, and then allow users to extract the subsets they need. So they measure a proportional sample of 6 and above, and let the clients decide what part of it they wish to use.

And because, as a nation, we enjoy lists and rankings, they publicly release the "broad stroke" data, knowing that it has curiosity value, but does not represent the information advertisers need.

The software that subscribers get allows virtually any combination of "stratification variables" (the conditions such as age, ethnicity, gender, geography, income, education, etc. that are measured) they want: "Harris and Galveston Counties, African American females 18 to 44 in middle income households").

As Frank says, for that radio stations pay. And radio stations that don't pay don't get listed in the public release data. The cost can be well into the 6 figures for a Houston cluster operation.

There are some trade sites that quote the demographic information in their analysis, but you need a free subscription. One is AllAccess.com

It's not the complete book with all the breakouts, but it does cover the trends, such as who's up and down in the key demos.

That’s why I am curious about KBXX sibling KROI. Its Rhyhmic CHR format is aimed directly at 18-34, but the overall numbers are terrible. Are they doing much better in the target demo, enough to justify keeping the current format?

IMHO there format is stale as hell might be time to change it up

It doesn't sound stale to me. It's just a rimshot with lots of coverage issues.

I, for one, mis the old KRTS. Seems like they had better ratings then than they do today.

Ratings

KFNC 97.5 is no longer a “Beaumont” station. It is licensed to Mont Belvieu, which is Houston metro. Compare its numbers to the other eastern rimshots, some of which do much better (KTJM, KQQK, KHJK.)

SportsMap 94.1 (K231CN) has a decent signal over much of metro Houston.

Big problem with the Gow Media stations is the poor quality of most of the local hosts. Charlie Pallilo is the only one worth listening to. The rest are awful...every time I give them a try, I quickly tune elsewhere. The moronic “guy talk” doesn’t help, either.

If Charlie is the only listenable sports talk guy in Houston, why are his numbers so low? What do you believe is good sports talk? You can only talk about the game last night for so long these shows are 2 ,3 or 4 hours long what else are you supposed to talk about?

If Charlie is the only listenable sports talk guy in Houston, why are his numbers so low?

Probably because he has been put in a station not many people know about with a signal that doesn't do very good on most radios. Sportsmap hasn't been properly advertised to the general public IMO.

Also, assuming you truly are the engineer for 97.5, where does 94.1 programming originate from?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom