• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Houston Radio Ratings

KROI sounds perfect to me, didn’t it just get a construction permit on October? Sure sounds better than Kqqk or than 93.3 FM.

KROI is a better rimshot than those out of the market Beaumont area ultra-rimshots... much of the signal is in the metro, but its transmitter site is off to one side of the market, meaning some areas just don't get a really usable signal. KROI's 65 dbu barely hits the north side of the city of Houston, and misses whole counties in the NE, N and NW segments of the market. It also pretty much misses Chambers COunty to the East.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always suspected purpledevil and mrtejano are the same poster. Any confirmation on that?
What?? Lol ok!! I’m am a 35 year old auto parts employee that loves Tejano.

Purple devil is some old white guy that I have no idea where he works. Any questions about my person you are welcomed to email me.

Don’t know if I’m allowed to post my email here. I have been a member of this board since 2007 my first nickname here was mrtexmex2007 then I changed it to mrtejano.

For a misunderstanding with mr Frank I had to make a new one Mrtejano.

KROI sounds perfect to me, didn’t it just get a construction permit on October? Sure sounds better than Kqqk or than 93.3 FM.

KROI has an application to move a few miles to the northwest, dropping HAAT but doubling power. Satellite view of the proposed site linked by Radio-Locator just shows farmland, no tower. No CP has been granted yet according The the FCC database.

Will cost way too much to build new tower and xmtr plant to be worth it..won't improve the signal on the north side at all..

The move might not be entirely signal related.

I have no idea what they're paying American Tower for rent at the current site, but for a stick that tall it can't be cheap. They may be trying to negotiate a better deal for a less substantial tower elsewhere, capable of supporting a maxed out HAAT for a 100kW C1, instead of derating ERP for more height like they are now.

I agree that the move wouldn't yield an improvement up north. In a sprawling metro like Houston, I'd gladly trade ERP for HAAT on a rimshot.

The one caveat would be if they're experiencing significant tropo ducting issues. They might have found out their signal is getting sucked out of town regularly during tropo season at the current HAAT.

April ratings are out: https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb033

Usual gang at the top of the numbers.

KBXX and KQBT splitting the audience straight down the middle.

KSBJ seems to be slipping a bit. Long time since we've seen it in the threes. No indication where that audience is going; no real change in Air1 and NGEN numbers.

KQQK, KTJM and KTHT show that rimshots can get modestly respectable numbers. Wonder, though, how Country Legends does demographically. Suspect the audience is getting old.

KBME 790 with a nice bump, certainly due to the Astros. Somewhat surprised KILT 610 isn't doing better than it is.

KROI right at a 1.0, below the level that got several previous formats killed. They are even trailing KTSU.

Kiss 104.5 making a slight dent in the ratings. Wonder why those listeners prefer it over KMJQ?

Why aren't the numbers for KAMA and KQBU now combined? Isn't this a 100% simulcast?

KSEV with nada. Guess the Lt. Governor needs his soapbox, though.

An aside to the KSBJ numbers: I notice that KAWA (WAY-FM) in DFW has a 1.3, slightly beating Air1. Wonder if WAY-FM might make it to Houston one of these days.

Why aren't the numbers for KAMA and KQBU now combined? Isn't this a 100% simulcast?

They are combined since the Holiday 2017 book. It is listed as a total line simulcast by Nielsen since that book.

Remember, a station has to request total line reporting; it's not automatic. Radio Online likely still lists them because they had separate numbers in the past; they should eliminate it though..

They are combined since the Holiday 2017 book. It is listed as a total line simulcast by Nielsen since that book.

Is it safe to assume the simulcast is not getting the results Univision hoped for? Because it still makes no sense to me. It adds very little to KAMA's coverage. I can't imagine KAMA seeing a bump in numbers.

Univision should use the station to experiment with new formats or even try English language music again. Their former Classic Rock station in Albuquerque and Active Rock station in San Antonio were pretty good.

Is it safe to assume the simulcast is not getting the results Univision hoped for? Because it still makes no sense to me. It adds very little to KAMA's coverage. I can't imagine KAMA seeing a bump in numbers.

The KAMA combo has averaged around a full share point higher in its target demo since the simulcast began.

Univision should use the station to experiment with new formats or even try English language music again. Their former Classic Rock station in Albuquerque and Active Rock station in San Antonio were pretty good.

There is no way to experiment economically with new formats on a rimshot. And there is a reason why Univision no longer has KIOT in ABQ.

Their active rock station 97.7 Rock all it did was copy 99.5 KISS songs you would hear the song first on KISS and then 1 or 2 songs later you would hear the same song on 97.7 Rock. KZAR was nothing but a filler before they sold it to EMF.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom