• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will happen to WGN

Rex Radio

Regular Participant
In a rather lengthy filing with the FCC, Sinclair has offered to spin WGN-TV and WPIX-TV (NYC) in order to gain FCC approval for them to complete the balance of their acquisition of Tribune Media.

The significant wild card in this is what will happen with WGN-AM should the FCC buy into this offer.

And once again, with the market's stick values as soft as can be these days, who might step up to buy what will be an orphan signal?

RR

Presumably whomever buys the two Merlin stations would be a contender if WGN-AM were put on the market.

AFAIK the radio station is not related to the FCC offer.

I just read a summary of their filing. Sinclair is offering a number of stations be placed for divestiture across the country, including WPIX. However WGN-TV is NOT on the list as I was first informed yesterday.

Sinclair has other radio properties which they picked up in prior deals. Some they have sold, others they have kept. So I think they might keep WGN-AM so long as there is the sibling property in the market.

RR

Are you sure? Variety and Broadcasting & Cable says WGN-TV is part of their divestiture plan:

Inside Radio's list excludes WGN-TV.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/sin...cle_2bc5ba28-179e-11e8-95df-7baf012b3216.html

Frankly, it doesn't matter to me all that much as I have no involvement in either property. That said, should Sinclair decide to keep WGN-TV, I fear they'll suffer the same fate as CBS did when they tried to run Howard Stern here....twice. Chicago viewers and listeners don't take kindly to "imported" media philosophy shoved down their collective throat.

RR

Huh? Stern generally earned pretty good ratings for WCKG, especially from ~2000 onward.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sinclair-sale-wgn-tv-tribune-20180226-story.html

Update on the Sinclair/Tribune deal and WGN

inclair Broadcast Group is selling WGN-TV to a Maryland auto dealer but would remain in control of the station in what critics say is a bid to skirt ownership limits and win federal regulatory approval for its proposed $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media.

That means “Terrorism Alert Desk” and other programming staples of politically conservative Sinclair may yet be headed to Chicago’s airwaves.

Under the terms of the $60 million station sale, filed Wednesday with the Federal Communications Commission, Sinclair would provide everything from programming to advertising sales to the buyer, essentially running WGN-Ch. 9 through a services agreement.

The licensee of WGN would be a newly formed company headed by Steven Fader, a longtime business associate of Sinclair Executive Chairman David Smith. Sinclair will have an option to buy back the station for the same price, subject to adjustments, within eight years.

The services agreement puts Sinclair in charge of advertising sales and gives it the right to provide local news and other programming to WGN. Sinclair would keep 30 percent of all ad sales and receive a $5.4 million monthly service fee for operating the station during the first year, with annual increases and performance bonuses.

Fader is CEO of Atlantic Automotive Corp., a Towson, Md.-based auto dealership group in which Smith holds a controlling interest, according to Sinclair financial statements. Fader also is chairman and co-founder of private equity firm Atlantic Capital Group.

He could not be reached Thursday for comment.

Hunt Valley, Md.-based Sinclair agreed to buy Chicago-based Tribune Media in May, creating what would be the largest ownership group in the U.S., with 233 TV stations, before any required divestitures. The deal has been facilitated by the FCC’s easing of ownership restrictions last year, but the combined company would still exceed a 39 percent cap in national audience reach.

Sinclair announced last week that it would sell Tribune stations WGN and WPIX-TV in New York, as well as stations in nine other markets, to get under the ownership cap.

On Wednesday, Sinclair filed a similar application to sell WPIX to Cunningham Broadcasting Corp. for $15 million, with an option to buy it back, and an agreement to provide advertising sales and programming to the station.

Cunningham Broadcasting is owned by the estate of Carolyn Smith, the mother of the Sinclair chairman.

It remains to be seen whether such an ownership workaround passes muster with federal regulators, including the FCC and the Department of Justice.

So Sinclair is selling stations to companies in which the CEO has controlling interests. How is that not illegal?

It seems to me that ownership is ownership. He has to sell his interest in those companies (including his mother's estate) in order for this to pass.

Otherwise it just makes mockery of these ownership laws. Entercom's David Field could just create some outside company and sell all his extra stations there instead of being forced to set up a trust.

Huh? Stern generally earned pretty good ratings for WCKG, especially from ~2000 onward.

While Stern got decent ratings, he did not do anywhere as well as in, for example, Philly or LA.

Of course, analyzing Stern ratings, which were in the diary survey era, in today's PPM environment is futile; high TSL and lower cume stations ended up pretty much tanking in the PPM. My analysis is that Stern might have been at the very bottom of the Top 10 in NYC were the PPM to have been introduced sooner.

Chicago viewers and listeners don't take kindly to "imported" media philosophy shoved down their collective throat.

RR

The very largest markets all tend to be able to pay for and attract good talent. When you have great local offerings, syndicated shows don't do quite as well because the competition is good and better able to fragment the audience.

The Stern performance in Chicago may just as well have been due to the lesser promotion the local station did and other non-market-related factors. There are too many variables to make a blanket conclusion.

My analysis is that Stern might have been at the very bottom of the Top 10 in NYC were the PPM to have been introduced sooner.

I think he would've been no worse than #5 or #6 in the ratings. Z100, WINS, WSKQ, WCBS-A and Lite-FM are the only stations that would've been capable of stronger numbers, in my opinion.

Men's Room and B.J. Shea in Seattle, Dave & Chuck in Detroit, Preston & Steve in Philly, Bob & Brian in Milwaukee, Billy Madison in San Antonio, and several FM sports stations' morning shows have performed very well in the PPM era. I have no reason to believe Stern would be incapable of attaining similar success in a PPM environment.

I think he would've been no worse than #5 or #6 in the ratings. Z100, WINS, WSKQ, WCBS-A and Lite-FM are the only stations that would've been capable of stronger numbers, in my opinion.

Men's Room and B.J. Shea in Seattle, Dave & Chuck in Detroit, Preston & Steve in Philly, Bob & Brian in Milwaukee, Billy Madison in San Antonio, and several FM sports stations' morning shows have performed very well in the PPM era. I have no reason to believe Stern would be incapable of attaining similar success in a PPM environment.

My belief is based on actual data on the relationship of cume to AQH, and the fact that Stern had "loyalists" who put down, routinely, almost the entire show from start to finish in their diary. When I worked on that was in the 2006 to 2008 period prior to the roll out of PPM nationally, using Philadelphia and Houston pre-currency data to look at the stations and markets I had some responsibility for.

And, of course, the PPM reduced PUR by about 35%... much of it being due to much shorter usage per "incident" than was reported in the diary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom