• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What, no January ratings discussion?

Here's the demo breakdown from Research Director, Inc.

Interesting...reading between the lines, one could assume a big part part of The Sound's demo is above 25-54.

Because even though it had a 1 point increase 6+, it didn't score any mention in either of the target demos.

Interesting...reading between the lines, one could assume a big part part of The Sound's demo is above 25-54.

Because even though it had a 1 point increase 6+, it didn't score any mention in either of the target demos.

The first sample is usually discarded. When they win in the 2nd and 3rd sample, then it can be called a success. I have no dog in this fight, but I will give credit to a format that has no real competition and continues to win. So let's play it out...

1. Probably, still it's hard to ignore the huge difference in journalism between KUOW and the likes of KIRO and KOMO.
2. Movin has the better morning show.
3. Christmas listening correction, plus TV ad campaign.
4. Likely change in PPM panel participants.

I agree with the morning show observation, but that can't be all of it. Excluding morning drive, does anyone have any data on where the two stations stand? I'm hearing Power in many more places than I ever heard KUBE.

I agree with the morning show observation, but that can't be all of it. Excluding morning drive, does anyone have any data on where the two stations stand? I'm hearing Power in many more places than I ever heard KUBE.

Anecdotal. Let's spell that out. A-N-E-C-D-O-T-A-L.

You're right, but I still don't understand how two stations that are so similar have such different ratings. Then again, look at Syracuse, which has two CHRs that are as different as night and day, and they're both close to the top of the market. Getting back to Seattle though, I'm still not convinced it's all morning related.

You're right, but I still don't understand how two stations that are so similar have such different ratings. Then again, look at Syracuse, which has two CHRs that are as different as night and day, and they're both close to the top of the market. Getting back to Seattle though, I'm still not convinced it's all morning related.

I recall someone quoting the real numbers here a few months ago, and I think KQMV's morning show had a massive share of the Seattle metro prime demo audience. Like a 20 share or something huge like that. If the KQMV morning show indeed draws in such huge numbers, I can see how that would make a difference in the overall rating.

I think they wanted to sound like they were broadcasting from a barn.

I remember them now. Hated the sound of the reverb. It sounded like a cheap echo box. Someone at the time told me they were trying to sound like a woodsy, rural country station, broadcasting from a barn.... It didn't sound that way to me. :)

I remember them now. Hated the sound of the reverb. It sounded like a cheap echo box. Someone at the time told me they were trying to sound like a woodsy, rural country station, broadcasting from a barn.... It didn't sound that way to me. :)

I remember hearing the Young Country echo after their stunting transition from KXRX (with a comedy loop that sounded like it came from a worn out cassette) was done and thinking 'This sounds like an elephant farting in a wind tunnel' Listeners complained about it. We're just not used to that kind of thing here. If they never had the echo, they would have probably done better than they did. It made the station really hard to listen to (if the Shania Twain/Def Leppard remixes didn't already do that.) I remember just before they changed to KYPT, they finally got rid of the echo.

I remember hearing the Young Country echo after their stunting transition from KXRX (with a comedy loop that sounded like it came from a worn out cassette) was done and thinking 'This sounds like an elephant farting in a wind tunnel' Listeners complained about it. We're just not used to that kind of thing here. If they never had the echo, they would have probably done better than they did. It made the station really hard to listen to (if the Shania Twain/Def Leppard remixes didn't already do that.) I remember just before they changed to KYPT, they finally got rid of the echo.

Didn't mean to open up a can of reverb here, but most in the west didn't hear this very often. The East was completely different, with most AM stations using it, and as I earlier recalled, it moved to FM. Today, you can still here a reverb in the audio chain on stations, mostly in the East and South. A true regional difference. I am certainly fascinated why this was so regional, but that era seems to be ending slowly but surely.

Didn't mean to open up a can of reverb here, but most in the west didn't hear this very often. The East was completely different, with most AM stations using it, and as I earlier recalled, it moved to FM. Today, you can still here a reverb in the audio chain on stations, mostly in the East and South. A true regional difference. I am certainly fascinated why this was so regional, but that era seems to be ending slowly but surely.

That's interesting, in that I've never heard electronic reverb on a station like that in my life. The closest thing I can think of hearing that was close to this was the hard wooded walls behind Radio Moscow's announcers' voices.

That's interesting, in that I've never heard electronic reverb on a station like that in my life. The closest thing I can think of hearing that was close to this was the hard wooded walls behind Radio Moscow's announcers' voices.

WABC and many of the big East Coast AM Top 40s of the '60s used reverb/echo. I guess it was a Phil Spector "Wall Of Sound" thing of that time that seems to work far better around his music in mono AM than '90s country music in FM Stereo.

WABC and many of the big East Coast AM Top 40s of the '60s used reverb/echo. I guess it was a Phil Spector "Wall Of Sound" thing of that time that seems to work far better around his music in mono AM than '90s country music in FM Stereo.

You'll probably remember this one Larry: I believe KRPM-FM used reverb on their mics for a couple years. Personally, I was never a fan of reverb on the mic, let alone on an FM station.

Heavily processed AM stations during the 60's, and to an extent, the 70's used reverb to keep their modulation monitors pinned at 124% positive.

In 2011, KMPS used reverb for a brief time. Personally I've never understood why any station would. I think some stations like Star, Power, The Jet, and The Sound might use a small amount, but it's not overpowering, and it might be something entirely different that they're using. I've never noticed it during the music, but I noticed a couple years ago that KUPL used it on the commercials. The absolute worst offender is WWFA in Florance, AL. Way overboard on the reverb.

Personally I've never understood why any station would.

For AM stations, the mic with reverb just sounded more like the voice of God sound, BIG-g-g-g. The aggressive audio processing used in those days made it even bigger sounding, with little or any dynamic range.

The interest for some FM Program Directors was similar: Have the mics of your station sound 'bigger' than the competition. Ultimately in research for FM stations running reverb on the mics, most listeners that picked up on it just thought it was weird.

The interest for some FM Program Directors was similar: Have the mics of your station sound 'bigger' than the competition.

Depends on the effect. Some had sub-harmonics that sounded great on FM. But the trend in the last 20 years was to humanize the talent, rather than build Darth Vader.

Some other observations after looking at the numbers:
1. Is it the recent political climate that is causing the huge bump for KUOW? They've been way up at the top since last January. Sure they've been strong for years, but never consistently #1 until this last year.
NPR stations just about everywhere have had increased shares over the past year- from Seattle to Atlanta to Cleveland. I’ve seen it called the “Trump Bump”.

NPR stations just about everywhere have had increased shares over the past year- from Seattle to Atlanta to Cleveland. I’ve seen it called the “Trump Bump”.

Some may call it that, but the bump has also been seen at all-news stations like WTOP and KCBS, where the news is presented without comment or emotion. KUOW is the closest thing to that in Seattle.

Some may call it that, but the bump has also been seen at all-news stations like WTOP and KCBS, where the news is presented without comment or emotion. KUOW is the closest thing to that in Seattle.

And you're exactly right. In this age of "fake news" from dubious social media sources, people want hard, verifiable information today, not pundits, excuses and spin in any direction. NPR and longtime news outlets such as WTOP, WINS and KCBS has long delivered that. That's why people listen.

Slight correction, KOMO is all news, but they don't seem to have seen much of a bump.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom