• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What, no January ratings discussion?

The Wolf is flat after absorbing KMPS listeners.

That and:

* Usually KCMS gets a decent Christmas bounce putting it at least top ten 6+. Wonder what happened this year?
* Looks like Hubbard's country station bottomed out, and is starting to slowly get it's footing. That said; not sure whether there will be enough Country listeners to evenly split the pie.

The Wolf is flat after absorbing KMPS listeners. No real improvement for KVRQ.

Wow. And they say country music fans are the most radio-loyal. What happened? Where did they go?

Did every KMPS listener take Ichabod seriously back in the day when he told them to glue their radio knobs to 94.1? That's the only way I can explain how KSWD is still beating KKWF and KNUC. Logically, KKWF should be in the top 5 with KNUC creeping up to at least a 3 share by now.

On the other hand, maybe 94.1 didn't lose that many listeners to begin with. Normally, a flip this radical would make every country fan run screaming to Oklahoma. For some reason, this didn't. Guess the research dept. has a new project....

* Looks like Hubbard's country station bottomed out, and is starting to slowly get it's footing. That said; not sure whether there will be enough Country listeners to evenly split the pie.

We'll see what happens after their new morning show has a month. They will do a lot of personal appearances, they will shake a lot of hands, and they have the potential to be popular with people regardless of the format.

Maybe the country listeners in Seattle are abandoning the format for other formats.

Maybe a lot of KMPS listeners were female and decided they liked the new format, after all.

Seattle isn't really much of a Cowtown. And less so now than it probably was 30 years ago. I can't see how country can support more than one major station here.

I really don't know why some months people are quick to jump on ratings discussions, and other months the book jusp passes by with no discussion at all from this board. Re: KCMS, it seems as if they haven't gotten a significant bump the last few years, for sure since KLSW signed on, but I doubt that has much to do with anything. What could have hurt them this year was the fact that, it seemed outside of evenings, they didn't go all Christmas around the clock, rather played one Christmas song then two regular songs most of the time when I tuned in.

Some other observations after looking at the numbers:
1. Is it the recent political climate that is causing the huge bump for KUOW? They've been way up at the top since last January. Sure they've been strong for years, but never consistently #1 until this last year.
2. What's up with Power and Movin'? When Power launched two years ago, I thought they were on relatively equal footing, and maybe the quality of their product has dropped slightly, but I don't understand why there's such a huge difference in those numbers.
3. Interesting that KSWD had a drop in the last two books but is now back to the numbers they were under KMPS.
4. Interesting that the rock stations are back up when they were down for several books.

I can't see how country can support more than one major station here.

And yet for over 25 years, Seattle has always had two very successful country stations. Remember there was a second country station before the Wolf. I seem to recall it was KRPM 106.

And yet for over 25 years, Seattle has always had two very successful country stations. Remember there was a second country station before the Wolf.

Yeah, I remember when there were KMPS and KRPM, and then the Wolf came on when (or during) KRPM disappeared -- but that was years ago.

The city has changed, even since the 1990's. It's more urban in nature, and it's not just the money, the population, or the overall culture that is changing -- the demographic makeup is changing. Young people are more into hip-hop than country. Even in the 'burbs.

Some other observations after looking at the numbers:
1. Is it the recent political climate that is causing the huge bump for KUOW? They've been way up at the top since last January. Sure they've been strong for years, but never consistently #1 until this last year.
2. What's up with Power and Movin'? When Power launched two years ago, I thought they were on relatively equal footing, and maybe the quality of their product has dropped slightly, but I don't understand why there's such a huge difference in those numbers.
3. Interesting that KSWD had a drop in the last two books but is now back to the numbers they were under KMPS.
4. Interesting that the rock stations are back up when they were down for several books.

1. Probably, still it's hard to ignore the huge difference in journalism between KUOW and the likes of KIRO and KOMO.
2. Movin has the better morning show.
3. Christmas listening correction, plus TV ad campaign.
4. Likely change in PPM panel participants.

Yeah, I remember when there were KMPS and KRPM, and then the Wolf came on when (or during) KRPM disappeared -- but that was years ago.

KRPM (actually KCIN...the AM side was still KRPM) signed off in March of '96. KKWF launched in December of '05, so KMPS had all of the country audience for about a decade.

The Wolf is flat after absorbing KMPS listeners. No real improvement for KVRQ.

Its now KNUC.

I have at times listened to KNUC, and find their content to be completely bland. The station has done nothing to set themselves apart. Their moniker is dull...anyone can call themselves "Country...". Maybe things will improve with a new morning drive team...from Georgia.

Last edited:
I think they wanted to sound like they were broadcasting from a barn.

That is funny.

But the reverb thing is actually quite interesting, and this is probably not the thread for it. But I grew up living and visiting both in the midwest and east, while spending most of my early years in
the PNW. The one huge difference in radio between west and east was the "sound" of stations...with reverb being used mostly east of the Mississippi, and for some reason, never really gained any traction in the west. I don't know why this occurred, but to this day I associate "reverb" with eastern radio stations, and at an advanced level, the crackling of thunderstorms added in for texture.
It definitely is an under-rated difference between regions of the US back in the AM, and expanding into the FM days.

KJR experimented with reverb atleast a couple of times in the late 60's and early 70's, but it never lasted. That is why I called out "Young Country" 96.5 in the 90's. Perhaps the PD was like-minded as trying to re-create that magical sound. Don't really know. OK, back to the main topic...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom