• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jan 6+ YIKES!

DrAkbar

Star Participant
https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057

The $1+m CCF and Hubbard paid for their translators is paying off. Don't know if this is a record high for KNAI, but they did it with a 250 watt translator. And beloved Lumberyard 14~Forty cracks a one share. Combine the two translators and that's a 5.7 share of listening..which would rank at #3 in the market. YIKES!

Other interesting stories in these numbers, but perhaps second to the translators mentioned above, is the total share of Spanish language listening - 18.4. And even though we don't see anything but 6+ numbers, Los Buckeye Boyz don't think there's a lot of 55+ listening in that 18.4 share.

Other interesting stories in these numbers, but perhaps second to the translators mentioned above, is the total share of Spanish language listening - 18.4. And even though we don't see anything but 6+ numbers, Los Buckeye Boyz don't think there's a lot of 55+ listening in that 18.4 share.

In 18-49, the key demo for Hispanic listening, the total share of the Spanish language stations is 19.4. In 25-54, it is 17.1 and in 55+ it is 10.3. So the ratings analysts at the Media Hut are totally woke on the subject. Awesome!

Interesting is the comparison of the two Spanish language translators, KOY and KNAI. KNAI has a 6.4, while KOY has the same number, but with a 0 instead of the 6. Why would that be?

In 18-49, the key demo for Hispanic listening, the total share of the Spanish language stations is 19.4. In 25-54, it is 17.1 and in 55+ it is 10.3. So the ratings analysts at the Media Hut are totally woke on the subject. Awesome!

Interesting is the comparison of the two Spanish language translators, KOY and KNAI. KNAI has a 6.4, while KOY has the same number, but with a 0 instead of the 6. Why would that be?

1. High listener loyalty to La Campesina and 2. The directional signal of the 93.7 translator (null to the northwest).

1. High listener loyalty to La Campesina and 2. The directional signal of the 93.7 translator (null to the northwest).

3. KNAI has been using 88~Three for months to promote 101~Nine. Of the three reasons, number one is by far the biggest. La Campesina is a very strong brand and has been in the Valley for decades.

3. KNAI has been using 88~Three for months to promote 101~Nine. Of the three reasons, number one is by far the biggest. La Campesina is a very strong brand and has been in the Valley for decades.

Wasn't it the case (I know it was mentioned here) that KNAI's ratings were deflated by not being a full-time station? Now they're a full rating point clear of KHOT. Wow.

Also, that's a huge improvement for KNIX.

Wasn't it the case (I know it was mentioned here) that KNAI's ratings were deflated by not being a full-time station? Now they're a full rating point clear of KHOT. Wow.

Yes, the ratings consider the day, for most tables, 6 AM to 12 Midnight. A station that is not on the air the full 18 hours, like KNAI or a daytimer, has hours with no audience averaged in.

CCF has more than 50% of the shared hours of 88~Three (5a-7:30p). So how much listenership they lost after 7:30p is probably negligible. Now KNAI is on 8~Sixty and 101~Nine 24 hours a day with 88~Three telling listeners the new location of KNAI for 14 1/2 hours a day. Nice arrangement!

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057

The $1+m CCF and Hubbard paid for their translators is paying off. Don't know if this is a record high for KNAI, but they did it with a 250 watt translator.

4.7 is the largest for KNAI in the PPM era, but 88.3 did have a 5.2 in 2006 before PPM came along. (non-comm numbers were never published in the diary era.)

Side note: even though the bulk of that 4.7 is likely coming from the FM translator, it is the largest share credited to the 860 facility since Spring 1978 (as KIFN)

Side note: even though the bulk of that 4.7 is likely coming from the FM translator, it is the largest share credited to the 860 facility since Spring 1978 (as KIFN)

Does anyone remember when KIFN went fulltime? It must have been in that era (I suppose I could look it up somewhere).

I do remember going to the inauguration of their lovely new building sometime around 1973, and meeting the PD and air personality "Tío José" in a lovely Sonoran hacienda style building that Mac Tichenor built for them.

Interesting that the old format is now the new format.

Does anyone remember when KIFN went fulltime? It must have been in that era (I suppose I could look it up somewhere).

I do remember going to the inauguration of their lovely new building sometime around 1973, and meeting the PD and air personality "Tío José" in a lovely Sonoran hacienda style building that Mac Tichenor built for them.

Interesting that the old format is now the new format.

Had Nurse Jeff search thru the FCC History Cards and learned the station went full-time in June 1980. KIFN started in 1949 with 250 watts, became KVVA (Radio VIVA) in 1982, then was purchased by Pulitzer in 1996 to become Sports Parking Lot KMVP. And after 21 years, it returned to Spanish language with the sale to CCF in 2017. A tip of the fez to the Nurse for rummaging through the files...now I'll have to take him out back and hose the dust off!

Is 101.9 far and away the best translator in the market?

92.7 (Lumberyard) has some problems in the 'Tuke--but that may be when you're too close to S Mtn and the terrain kind of "hides" the sticks. It also starts to "flake out" around the Chandler Mall area.

Someone else may be able to describe the coverage on 101.9, as I am not a listener.

101.9 is a great translator - right now. I wonder how or if the impending south-bound move of KAHM 102.1 will change that.

Someone else may be able to describe the coverage on 101.9, as I am not a listener.

The 60 dbu gets almost to Peoria, bisects Scottsdale and includes Chandler. It has a 65 dbu over the market's HDHA areas.

101.9 is a great translator - right now. I wonder how or if the impending south-bound move of KAHM 102.1 will change that.

Think CCF will mind? There is some overlap to the north and west between 101~Nine and 102~One. But look what CCF is doing to cover the Buckeye Media Hut: https://fccdata.org/?facid=202759 And on the same frequency as the Mothership!

Last edited:
Think CCF will mind? There is some overlap to the north and west between 101~Nine and 102~One. But look what CCF is doing to cover the Buckeye Media Hut: https://fccdata.org/?facid=202759 And on the same frequency as the Mothership!

Wowzers! I always thought that KAHM should have put an on-channel booster in Sun City to help shovel Percy Faith, Montavani, and the 101 Strings to the old farts. This is interesting since it is 1. a translator and 2. primary station is 860. Which also raises more questions: Does CCF want or need the 101.7 in Prescott anymore? Will it still lie within the allowable contours once the transmitter moves? Is Prescott needed or wanted once the station switches to Spanish? Maybe sell it or lease it and an HD2 channel so the sleepy music continues at least for the two retirees that own HD radios and the others in greater Prescott?

Last edited:
Wowzers!...this is interesting since it is 1. a translator and 2. primary station is 860.

It couldn't have been planned any better. KNAI on 101~Nine, and right next door on 102~One (Spring Valley & Buckeye). This is going to be bigger than denim seats in a Gremlin!

Why did KKFR give that translator up? Seemed like it was better than 96.1, at least where I’m at.

Riviera was aiming the main lobe of the 101.9 signal toward the East Valley - Tempe and Mesa, to be exact. Rollye James at KQSS in Miami started getting interference claims to her station and Riviera agreed to shut it down.

Riviera then sold the translator’s license to CCF. They devised a new pattern that does not send most of its RF toward Miami, and it happened to be a blessing in disguise for CCF.

Speaking of translators...

-KCKY has applied for a 250-watt facility on 105.1 in Coolidge
-KFLT AM Tucson has applied for 104.3, 250 watts from the mountain site between Coolidge and CG
-KIHP proposed a new 100.3 at Peoria but got dismissed
-KPHX has applied for 92.9 from Paradise Valley (Shaw Butte) with 3 watts aimed south. This is gonna be interesting with KDWR so close
-KSUN was granted its 106.5 (K293CO) on February 9
-There's some change to K257CD, but never mind that the app states it will translate KQEN (in Roseburg, Oregon) instead of KQFN

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom