• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Boston Radio Ratings January 2018.

Classical WCRB plunging of late. How committed is WGBH to maintaining the format on 99.5? Is there a Plan B? Maybe not a new format but a tweak to the ultra-tight-playlist, familiar-favorites-only "classical's greatest hits" format that 'CRB aired in its final years under previous ownership on 102.5?

The old Charles River Broadcasting "classical in perpetuity" clause? I thought that was found not to be as ironclad as once thought, but I could be wrong.

It was 99 years, but you're right. There probably is a loophole.

Still, WGBH isn't going to flip it to some kind of rock station.

The old Charles River Broadcasting "classical in perpetuity" clause? I thought that was found not to be as ironclad as once thought, but I could be wrong.

It may have bound the old Charles River B'casting people...but to new owners?

We had that predicament up here in Gloucester...where the owner sold to someone who would keep the format...but, if that claus is indeed in the P&S agreement...all the new owner/licensee has to show is that it is not financially viable in that format. (I can't think of a judge who would require them to continue something that they cannot sustain.) Also, the question is, who would challenge it?

With a non-comm though...their other options are limited.

Lastly, ratings don't matter...as long as they are getting donations and grants from people who want the format to continue.

Classical WCRB plunging of late. How committed is WGBH to maintaining the format on 99.5? Is there a Plan B? Maybe not a new format but a tweak to the ultra-tight-playlist, familiar-favorites-only "classical's greatest hits" format that 'CRB aired in its final years under previous ownership on 102.5?

Now that WCRB is non-comm, listener donations are a big factor in addition to ratings. They’re related, but as the only full-time classical station in greater Boston, the listeners they have may donate very well even if their numbers don’t compare to the successful major commercial stations. They could also be billing well for underwriting.

Some odd things in the format listings this month:

WBZ-FM is listed as "Sports", but WEEI is listed as "All Sports". What's the difference?

WZLX is no longer listed as "Classic Rock", just "Rock".

WBZ (AM) is listed as "News/Talk", but WRKO is listed as "News" when it's mostly just talk?

There appears to be no more "Triple-A" or "AAA" format description as of this month. WXRV and WUMB that were listed before as "Triple-A" are now just listed as "Alternative" along with WBOS.

Some odd things in the format listings this month:

It's up to each website that posts ratings results to put a format name there for each station. Nielsen does not provide anything except call letters and the 12+ data. That's why each website generally has many cases of slightly different names for the same stations.

WODS is not being programmed correctly. Entercom shouldn't be forcing their stations off in hopes of a format flips

Radio and Records is playing dumb....WZLX is Classic Rock, WEEI is the same as WBZ FM...Both are sports. WBZ and WRKO are both News/Talk.
Radio and Records needs to make an adjustment.

Radio and Records is playing dumb....WZLX is Classic Rock, WEEI is the same as WBZ FM...Both are sports. WBZ and WRKO are both News/Talk.
Radio and Records needs to make an adjustment.

R&R has changed its labels in other markets' ratings, too. I noticed the new tags in the Philadelphia ratings, and now we see them in Boston. Something of a headscratcher, but I'm sure some editor over at R&R has his/her reasons for the tweak. Just don't expect any explanation of it for the radio geeks who get off on 6+ numbers. As David said, it's really of no consequence.

Seems like a good book for almost everyone except Magic, Amp, and CRB

Many stations saw their Jingle Bells-loving listeners come back after spending a month with Magic. I think this happens pretty much every January book, especially in a market where the Christmas station does a huge number every time,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom