• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

La Mega 97.9 vs. X96.3

The two stations run similar Latin music formats, and equivalent signals. Does anyone have an idea why La Mega garners much stronger ratings than X96.3?

The two stations run similar Latin music formats, and equivalent signals. Does anyone have an idea why La Mega garners much stronger ratings than X96.3?

One reason: Alex Sensation.

One reason: Alex Sensation.

I recall that when Luis Jimenez ran the morning show years ago on LaMega 97.9, he had ratings that rivaled those of Howard Stern at the time. Then he came over to WXNY (which was not called X96.3 back then), and they were not nearly as good, even after they moved from 105.9 to the much stronger 96.3 signal.
That leads me to believe that LaMega would continue to have stronger ratings, even if one of their currently popular DJ's were to make the switch to X96.3

I recall that when Luis Jimenez ran the morning show years ago on LaMega 97.9, he had ratings that rivaled those of Howard Stern at the time. Then he came over to WXNY (which was not called X96.3 back then), and they were not nearly as good, even after they moved from 105.9 to the much stronger 96.3 signal.
That leads me to believe that LaMega would continue to have stronger ratings, even if one of their currently popular DJ's were to make the switch to X96.3

Wrong conclusion. The change in the Luis Jiménez listening was the direct effect of the implementation of the PPM measurement system in New York. Stations or shows with low cume but high TSL (think "smooth jazz" as the best example) were decimated by the PPM.

I did an analysis based on actual changes between the diary and the PPM of what, theoretically, would have happened to Howard Stern's numbers in NYC. The conclusion is that the AQH share would have dropped from 1st to around 8th to 10th were Stern still on terrestrial radio and doing performing, in the diary, as well as he always had.

So it's your opinion that if Univision could persuade Sensation to work for X96.3 instead of LaMega, their ratings would rival those of La Mega?
As I recall, there was quite a bit of hoopla when Luis Jimenez moved from that station to WXNY, but their ratings did not improve that much. It seems irrelevant whether Stern's were inflated under the diary system, or whether Luis lost out due to the switch to PPM. I believe that LaMega always had better ratings, even with the two stations on a level playing field in terms of signal coverage.

So it's your opinion that if Univision could persuade Sensation to work for X96.3 instead of LaMega, their ratings would rival those of La Mega?

No, I am saying that Alex is the driver for WSKQ's success. He is core to the WSKQ Dominican focus and the overall heritage of the station, and since about half of all Hispanic AQH listening to Spanish language comes from Dominicans, he's doubly important to that station.

Another factor, and one we see in Miami as well, is that the same sons are popular with 25-year-olds as with 50-year-olds. There is practically no music format differentiation among the top 5 Spanish language FMs, as the same music appeals to nearly everyone and other music varieties have limited or no appeal any longer.

..."the same music appeals to nearly everyone and other music varieties have limited or no appeal any longer.
Of course La Mega's sister station Amor 93.1 sounds very different, with their 50/50 mix of Latin pop, and bachata. Apparently the focus on bachata music is also intended to appeal to the area's large Dominican population. In any case, even this unusual format is getting higher overall ratings than X96.3, though my guess is that the demos are somewhat older.
Univision Radio just seems to be having a tough time in the New York area. Their other FM, Que Buena 92.7, has tiny overall ratings. Even though their signal is considerably more limited, it still seems to be underperforming. The Regional Mexican format returned after they tried several others in recent years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom