• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Billy Graham dies at age 99

"Someday you will turn on the TV or radio and hear that Billy Graham has died.
Don't you believe it! I will be more alive than I have ever been."

- Billy Graham

Supposedly, he was still writing an advice column in the Charlotte Observer and the Asheville Citizen-Times. Those are the papers I actually know about. The Observer had a condensed version of his advice. However, until recently it was credited to "Billy Graham's staff". Some answers made it look like he had said what was said because they included recent events. Tomorrow's Charlotte Observer will surely have one of the biggest front page headlines in recent years, because that's how he is seen around here.

Around here he has a Parkway which is also the address of the Charlotte office of his organization.

I wish his radio station still sounded as good as it used to. Beautiful Christian music. There were two radio stations, but the FM had such good music 30 years ago.

Supposedly, he was still writing an advice column in the Charlotte Observer and the Asheville Citizen-Times. Those are the papers I actually know about. The Observer had a condensed version of his advice. However, until recently it was credited to "Billy Graham's staff". Some answers made it look like he had said what was said because they included recent events.

Graham had mellowed some in his later years, but those advice columns were often pure fire and brimstone. I figured his son Franklin might have been writing them, or at least pointing the "staff" to craft the message less subtly.

Billy Graham's "Here's My Answer" or "My Answer" ran in newspaper syndication going back to at least the 70s. They could probably be recycled today if you cut out any referfence to current events. Same subjects (No, you can't live with your boyfirnd without a marriage license, etc, etc)

He was definitely THE greatest preacher of the 20th and early 21st centuries. He's home now. Rest in peace.

Billy Graham's "Here's My Answer" or "My Answer" ran in newspaper syndication going back to at least the 70s. They could probably be recycled today if you cut out any referfence to current events. Same subjects (No, you can't live with your boyfirnd without a marriage license, etc, etc)

I'm still in the newspaper business (holds hat out for any small change you can spare) and we still run "My Answer." Some of the letter writers appear to be trying to goad Graham: "If God created everything, why did He create Satan?" and "How come people lived to 500-800 years old only in the Middle East and only in the years the Old Testament was written?" and "Surely you don't believe this stuff!" But no matter how hard they try, Graham won't be trapped and winds up placing the blame on the letter writer for even thinking the thoughts that led to the question. And each reply ends the same way: "Give your life to Christ."

By the way, the syndicate that distributes "My Answer" sent out his "final column" yesterday for use in today's papers. It came with an editor's note saying that Graham had approved the column for use on this occasion. It also said that Graham's column would continue "in some form." Since the syndicate moves "My Answer" in weekly batches, papers that run it still have at least two weeks worth of columns yet to run. I guess we'll see what happens after that.

He was drawing his advice from the Bible, which doesn't change.
Human beings have pretty much been having all of the same problems for 5000+ years.

I'm still in the newspaper business (holds hat out for any small change you can spare) and we still run "My Answer." Some of the letter writers appear to be trying to goad Graham: "If God created everything, why did He create Satan?" and "How come people lived to 500-800 years old only in the Middle East and only in the years the Old Testament was written?" and "Surely you don't believe this stuff!" But no matter how hard they try, Graham won't be trapped and winds up placing the blame on the letter writer for even thinking the thoughts that led to the question. And each reply ends the same way: "Give your life to Christ."

By the way, the syndicate that distributes "My Answer" sent out his "final column" yesterday for use in today's papers. It came with an editor's note saying that Graham had approved the column for use on this occasion. It also said that Graham's column would continue "in some form." Since the syndicate moves "My Answer" in weekly batches, papers that run it still have at least two weeks worth of columns yet to run. I guess we'll see what happens after that.
This doesn't add any additional information, but this was on the web site of the newspaper for the area where Graham lived.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...ote-billy-grahams-my-answer-column/363025002/

This doesn't add any additional information, but this was on the web site of the newspaper for the area where Graham lived.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...ote-billy-grahams-my-answer-column/363025002/

So it looks like that paper is running his farewell column and ending the feature for good, ignoring the future columns the syndicate has already sent out. Interesting, because that means management paid for two or three weeks' worth of columns that will never run, not something you expect in a struggling industry that's focused on making every dollar count. I wonder if the syndicate has offered papers pro-rated refunds if they don't feel comfortable with running a few weeks of posthumous Graham columns.

So it looks like that paper is running his farewell column and ending the feature for good, ignoring the future columns the syndicate has already sent out. Interesting, because that means management paid for two or three weeks' worth of columns that will never run, not something you expect in a struggling industry that's focused on making every dollar count. I wonder if the syndicate has offered papers pro-rated refunds if they don't feel comfortable with running a few weeks of posthumous Graham columns.
I don't know about that other paper, and I haven't looked, but my paper ran a column the next day and said it would continue to run. The columns will be written by staff from now on.

This is weird. Every day The Charlotte Observer has an explanation of what is being done with the column. The response to the question often gets edited so much, since it has been years since the paper had room to run the entire column, that the explanation sometimes ends up longer what response there is, depending on the length of the question.

This is weird. Every day The Charlotte Observer has an explanation of what is being done with the column. The response to the question often gets edited so much, since it has been years since the paper had room to run the entire column, that the explanation sometimes ends up longer what response there is, depending on the length of the question.
And the column has been cancelled and replaced with a word game.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom