• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

January Ratings

jabba17

Star Participant
OK, a lot of people were hooked on The Fish for Christmas. But it looks like they were still reelin' them in come January, #2 6+. Doesn't seem like a holiday hangover for them, unlike what usually happened at B98.5 in years past.

Kiss 104.1 now wins the worst-at-Digital-White-Columns booby prize for once, but this looks like its housemates doing better, not so much Kiss doing poorly.

And Kicks got their butt kicked. With a 2.9 6+ (same as Rock100.5), that's the worst I have ever seen them do. The Bull kept charging with its typical ratings in the low 4s, so not a format problem.

The one thing we know about Kiss 104 is the decline in 6+ share was caused by the move to a younger sound and dropping Tom Joyner. And without seeing the demo ratings, we have no way of knowing what really happened.

It's possible that Kiss shed its older demos, which it didn't want anyway, and maintained or increased the more saleable younger demos. But we would have to see the demo numbers to know that.

Kicks losing share was the biggest surprise to me.

Does anyone know any sub 55 demo WSB does well in after 10AM?

Looking at 10A-3P...WSB is tied with WSTR 94.1 and Hot 107.9 persons 18-34. WSB beats V103 and WWPW. They are over a full share ahead of Q100. So yes...WSB does quite well during this daypart with younger listeners. If you look at women only 18-34 WSB doesn't do well ANY time of the day. (I WAS surprised at how well WSB does women 18+...especially women 35-64.)

Looking at 10A-3P...WSB is tied with WSTR 94.1 and Hot 107.9 persons 18-34. WSB beats V103 and WWPW. They are over a full share ahead of Q100. So yes...WSB does quite well during this daypart with younger listeners. If you look at women only 18-34 WSB doesn't do well ANY time of the day. (I WAS surprised at how well WSB does women 18+...especially women 35-64.)

WSB is yuge. Bigger than any station in Jina.

WSB is yuge. Bigger than any station in Jina.

They could probably run a 1 Khz tone and get a 5 share...

Does Nielsen offer any kind of data regarding meter placement? Example - how many meters in each zip code? I would love to see how numbers correspond to changes in panel membership and geographical placement of meters.

They could probably run a 1 Khz tone and get a 5 share...

Does Nielsen offer any kind of data regarding meter placement? Example - how many meters in each zip code? I would love to see how numbers correspond to changes in panel membership and geographical placement of meters.

I've never seen the breakouts by zip code and panel membership, but I know that stations that subscribe can get them.

Stations can analyze their (or any competitor's) listening by ZIP code.

Must have been a sizable number in NW Atlanta. Otherwise, how could a station like WFOM, that doesn't even cover the market, EVEN show up.

Must have been a sizable number in NW Atlanta. Otherwise, how could a station like WFOM, that doesn't even cover the market, EVEN show up.

The Atlanta MSA is 17 counties, and Cobb is the 4th largest in population.Gwinnett and FUlton are 900 thousand and 1 million, and both Cobb and De Kalb are just over 700 thousand. So a station that gets something of a share in any of the big counties will also show up in the metro survey area book.

WFOM occasionally pops up with a 0.1, but can go years without showing. W292EV, their translator, has helped a little.

Stations can analyze their (or any competitor's) listening by ZIP code.

David: What information is available to stations about the panel makeup? Are stations aware of how many meters are in each zip and can they learn the panelists demographics?
Do stations have access to information about panel changes - i.e. which zips lost meters, which gained meters, demographic changes in panel makeup, etc.?

David: What information is available to stations about the panel makeup? Are stations aware of how many meters are in each zip and can they learn the panelists demographics?
Do stations have access to information about panel changes - i.e. which zips lost meters, which gained meters, demographic changes in panel makeup, etc.?

Nielsen issues reports of proportionality, showing how close to 100% proportional the sample is. They are confidential for subscribers.

Nielsen does not get overly granular in the available data to avoid identification of panelists. But we know the sample size for the market. But we can obtain data down to the ZIP Code level. And if there is something unusual, subscribers can request further data and escalate such a request to know the household composition... but not anything that would allow independent verification.

We get data on panel turnover. As the PPM uses a panel (which, by definition is always proportional), there should usually be no change in demographic distribution save for short intervals while lost panelists are being replaced.

Some of this comes under client/supplier privilege/confidentiality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom