• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tejano coming back?

KCOH 1230 would be the a likely candidate as its signal is good in Houston’s heavily Hispanic East End. Having said that, however, I doubt it will happen.
Houston's heavily Hispanic East End...that's probably one of the last time you'll hear this. Gentrification is a terrible thing.

But back to the subject at hand. It's very likely that KLVL is the station he is eyeing. It's owned by Siga as well, so negotiating should be easier. If the leaser wanted to save money, he would just dump the FM translator. It has terrible coverage and I'm sure they are charging him a premium for it.

i have a hunch that 101.7 out of Bay city is pushing more than 35KW. They seem to be reaching Houston way better than before. Guess they want to keep the Astros happy.

i have a hunch that 101.7 out of Bay city is pushing more than 35KW. They seem to be reaching Houston way better than before. Guess they want to keep the Astros happy.
Honestly, it sounds just as spotty as before. Only difference now is that you can hear the Pasadena translator between those spots.

On an unrelated note, I checked out the Tejano radio Facebook and they're asking for donations (which is a very risky move) for an FM signal that covers Katy and The Woodlands. Sounds like KTWL, as no other FM station fits the profile. Get your popcorn ready folks. If Roy leases to the Tejano group, then you can bet Roy will address the interference issues with Centro by going on the offensive against SportsMap 94.1 and Radio Dabang 105.3. He would basically put his current clients (Dabang) off the air or on a heavily marginalized signal. Interesting times ahead. Radio is a cutthroat business.

Honestly, it sounds just as spotty as before. Only difference now is that you can hear the Pasadena translator between those spots.

On an unrelated note, I checked out the Tejano radio Facebook and they're asking for donations (which is a very risky move) for an FM signal that covers Katy and The Woodlands. Sounds like KTWL, as no other FM station fits the profile. Get your popcorn ready folks. If Roy leases to the Tejano group, then you can bet Roy will address the interference issues with Centro by going on the offensive against SportsMap 94.1 and Radio Dabang 105.3. He would basically put his current clients (Dabang) off the air or on a heavily marginalized signal. Interesting times ahead. Radio is a cutthroat business.

Why would he stop leasing to Dabang just to go lease to this Tejano station?

Why would he stop leasing to Dabang just to go lease to this Tejano station?
More $$$ from the lease + he gets to protect his coverage area from the pesky translators without pissing off his client. KTWL lost most of it's meaningful listening area to Centro. I'm sure Roy Henderson wants it back (I know I would if I were in his shoes).

More $$$ from the lease + he gets to protect his coverage area from the pesky translators without pissing off his client. KTWL lost most of it's meaningful listening area to Centro. I'm sure Roy Henderson wants it back (I know I would if I were in his shoes).

Ok? But Puro Tejano wants a FM in the Houston area that would cover Northside

Ok? But Puro Tejano wants a FM in the Houston area that would cover Northside
I highly doubt any of the big broadcasters are leasing their FM stations, so that leaves KTWL as the only station that can reach Katy and the North part of town.

Before the translator invasion, KTWL could be heard clearly all the way down to the North Beltway. A little work of collecting signatures is all Roy Henderson needs in order to regain his lost coverage area taken away by Centro.

Aleluya could lease that one to them, the guys from puro tejano said they could get a 3rd station for 30K. I doubt ROY would lease KTWL for just 30K
The Aleluya translators fall outside of KGBC's 2.0 mV/m contour. They can't be used.

Also, K252FR doesn't fit the profile as it's not supposed to cover The Woodlands. K248DB and it's pending CP for the profile, but it also can't rebroadcast KGBC per FCC rules.

Does anyone know how to reach Daniel Melendez aka DANNY BOY, via PM, please? Thx.
If anyone actually reaches him, let him know about this board. The dude is going up against some crazy odds. It'd be interesting to get his take.

If anyone actually reaches him, let him know about this board. The dude is going up against some crazy odds. It'd be interesting to get his take.
The “Dude” is a business man and I’m pretty sure he has a backup plan.

The 3rd Tejano signal is expected to launch in 2 weeks according to their Facebook Live stream. The station will cover The Northside of Houston

I hope he is being financially careful. If the money is there and solid, then great. It is real easy for a good businessman to be swept up in his business. When you're hearing all the positive chatter from listeners and clients looking to buy but are waiting our a prior contract, it is easy to get excited and start counting your chickens before they hatch. Having sold time to many broadcasters over the years I found many didn't keep enough cash set aside to deal with the unexpected. Once they got a little behind almost every one continued to get more and more behind. I have full faith that Murphy's Law is alive and well. With that said, I have a great respect for Daniel and his knowledge.

it is easy to get excited and start counting your chickens before they hatch. Having sold time to many broadcasters over the years I found many didn't keep enough cash set aside to deal with the unexpected. Once they got a little behind almost every one continued to get more and more behind.

You're describing the small market station I was once asked to invest in, and why I passed on the deal.
Doing the due diligence, I found a station with an old transmitter that would be expensive to replace (and I couldn't rule out having to clean up PCBs) plus the current owner was behind on the tower site mortgage. Assuming that we could keep all of the existing business on the air, I couldn't make the numbers work after factoring in a new transmitter and bringing the note up to date because that would have eaten up all of our reserves. The transmitter failed shortly after the sale to the next owner closed.

I kept thinking about another friend who bought a station near a lake. All of the businesses in town made their money in the summer months. He closed the sale in the winter and spent wisely to get to when cashflow should pick up. Problem was the state closed the lake for bacteria that summer and the whole town went under.

Sometimes even when you plan for bad things to happen, they're worse than you planned for.

It's not as easy as "we'll sell some ads."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom