• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tejano coming back?

Was hearing Tejano music on 1540 at a 6:45pm check near downtown. Skywave was starting to come in, so choppy reception; thought I heard a liner for “Tejano Mix.”

That could have also been KEDA 1540, one of the Tejano stations in San Antonio. I don't think they call it Tejano Mix though.

It is my understanding KGBC in Galveston is leased and debuting a Tejano format. I understand it began testing yesterday

i wonder if 101.7 from liberman being a bay city station and not a Houston station can fight it.
They definitely can put up a fight and probably win to get 101.7 to either move, power down, or shut down.

But then again, they have allowed the translators at 98.7, 98.3, 103.5, and 103.3 jam the hell out of their stations so I doubt they take any action against K269GS.

They definitely can put up a fight and probably win to get 101.7 to either move, power down, or shut down.

But then again, they have allowed the translators at 98.7, 98.3, 103.5, and 103.3 jam the hell out of their stations so I doubt they take any action against K269GS.

And they just might with the new Contract with the Astros. They should fight to have a better sounding FM in houston. From what I have seen 107.9 is playing more Tejano right now . They might be doing it to kill the new Tejano station.

I was hearing the 101.7 translator with Tejano music at a 8:45pm check near downtown. Heard an ID for KGBC and K269GS which was followed by further liners that got buried by KNTE in a dead spot. Audio quality is good, with none of the echo problems that plagued the 1480 simulcast on 101.7.

You can forget about KNTE upgrading their signal, as co-channels in B/PA and Huntsville are in the way. And the KNTE signal is extremely marginal at best in Houston metro—you have to get well into Fort Bend County before the signal is really listenable.

If Liberman ever actually builds the CP for the KJOJ upgrade they should probably swap the formats on 101.7 and 103.3.

And they just might with the new Contract with the Astros. They should fight to have a better sounding FM in houston. From what I have seen 107.9 is playing more Tejano right now . They might be doing it to kill the new Tejano station.

Doubtful they do anything to fight off the translator. LBI hasn't taken any action against the ones that currently plague KTJM and KJOJ. With 101.7 being so far away and being very spotty throughout Houston proper, I doubt they petition the FCC and collect listener complaints. I also doubt this AM rimshot station is much of a threat to Liberman.

From what I have seen 107.9 is playing more Tejano right now . They might be doing it to kill the new Tejano station.

Playing "more Tejano" on a non-Tejano format is generally a recipe for ratings loss, as the appeal of Tejano is now pretty much limited to the much older demos.

Playing "more Tejano" on a non-Tejano format is generally a recipe for ratings loss, as the appeal of Tejano is now pretty much limited to the much older demos.

Why did the Tejano demo age, but the Regional Mexican demo didn't? I know we've had an explosion of immigration from the south. Was that the reason Regional Mexican has stayed young while Tejano dried up?

Why did the Tejano demo age, but the Regional Mexican demo didn't? I know we've had an explosion of immigration from the south. Was that the reason Regional Mexican has stayed young while Tejano dried up?

In the mid-90's, Tejano was hot. KXTN in San Antonio was getting double digit shares, and the multi-national record labels bought up most of the little Tejano labels and thought they were on to the next big thing.

Tejano never exploded onto the national and international scene. A few groups had crossovers, like La Mafia and Mazz, and Selena had hits after her death. But those were exceptions.

The big labels ceased to put money into Tejano. There was no money for new artists or promotion, as Tejano just refused to work outside of parts of Texas. The established artists got older, and there were few new ones with hits.

While the Tejano audience was mostly later-generation Tejanos, not first generation immigrants, the population growth among Hispanics in the Southwest was mostly, as you said, from immigration... first generation Mexicans who had, mostly, grown up on norteñas and rancheras. Not Tejano, which is really not a factor in Mexico itself.

Regional is fueled by the entire nation of Mexico. Tejano was fueled by a few stations in the Valley, SA, Corpus and smaller markets. Even Dallas and Houston lost the format, as it was no longer viable. New Regional Mexican artists by the dozens... even by the hundreds... came out of Mexico and even the Southwestern US. Several hundred US radio stations were in the format by the year 2000, and most did very well. There was a demand for shows, concerts, jaripeos and the like. Even the national Univision shows began including Regional Mexican artists about two decades ago. But they seldom, if ever, included a Tejano artist unless there was some crossover potential.

To a considerable extent, the major labels killed Tejano.

Lacking growth and expansion, Tejano became like 60's oldies. Many good songs, but nearly all of them 4 or 5 decades old. The audience became older. Sales declined, both for the songs and for the radio stations.

Last edited:
Awesome explanation. Thanks for the history lesson. Sort of sad an entire culture is dying at the expense of the growth of another. Assimilation for immigrants must have been hard in the late 90s.

Having said that, I checked the station while I was around downtown today. Seems like they are ignoring the rules and their translator has original programming. They definitely aren't rebroadcasting KGBC. Checked around the AM dial and FM HD subchannels and there is nothing that resembles what 101.7 is playing.

not sure what you were listening to but 1540 and 101.7 were playing the same thing when I checked 2 hours ago.

Awesome explanation. Thanks for the history lesson. Sort of sad an entire culture is dying at the expense of the growth of another. Assimilation for immigrants must have been hard in the late 90s.

Interestingly, assimilation for the vast majority of immigrants does not include a change in musical taste if they arrive as late adolescents or young adults. For the most part, they will retain their preference for the music they grew up on always, even if they acquire somewhat of a taste for some forms of the music of the "new" country.

Anecdotally, the music I preferred as an early to mid teen is still my favorite, although I have had my taste broadened by programming many formats I had previously had no exposure to.

not sure what you were listening to but 1540 and 101.7 were playing the same thing when I checked 2 hours ago.

Both where playing tejano yes, but both where playing different songs. Like running 2 different tejano stations. And no it was not a delay of any sort cause I was constantly flipping from AM to FM.

Both where playing tejano yes, but both where playing different songs. Like running 2 different tejano stations. And no it was not a delay of any sort cause I was constantly flipping from AM to FM.

That’s what I was hearing early this evening. Doesn’t sound like they’ve begun regular programming yet, so each may be on a different playlist. Might be able to get away with it as the 101.7 signal could still be considered in testing mode.

Listened to 1540 for a little while today. They are using the “Puro Tejano” branding and giving both the AM an FM IDs. Appears to be a prerecorded playlist of music without commercials, but running separately and non-synched on both frequencies. No commercials or other announcements while I listened.

“Puro Tejano” was the branding used on the old KRTX 100.7, IIRC. It was the first format on that station after the big signal upgrade.

I think they will be bilingual first then eventually flip to Spanish . Until they stop leasing.

Their Facebook page says they are trying to get a 3rd channel that would cost 30K I think they said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom