• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tejano coming back?

From a good friend that shared a link saying HOUSTON NÚMERO 1 TEJANO HITS COULD BE COMING BACK TO FM AND AM.

If this happens would it be a AM station that simulacast on an FM translator?

Wow 20 KW is a lot of power for a translator.

The post was made, quite obviously, with a dose of sarcasm given the licensee's noted ability to follow its own rules.

Translators are legally limited to 250 watts, always. Not everyone knows how to read metering, obviously.

Just thought I let you know, they’re selling shirts to support the station that they’re trying to launch.

Some guy named Daniel Melendez aka DANNY BOY?

Daniel used to be on the air at KAMA back around 2008.

Of recent, he has been with some little Spanish language stations in Ohio and, I think, Indiana. I believe he got into radio out in Odessa or Midland or somewhere int he Permian Basin region.

From what I heard THE STATION IS ON AIR TESTING.

They’re testing with hip hop, only station I hear testing is 101.7 FM and 1480 AM

They aren't testing Hip-Hop. That's just brokered programming that has been sold by the owners. All these shows can be heard on 1480, 1540, and 101.7 trimulcast (with 1540 being the parent station of 101.7).

Are you suggesting that Siga is leasing the station to "Daniel"? I don't know the guy, but if I were a friend I'd try to talk him out of it. If Tejano was a viable option, then a company like Univision would have gone after it already. They have the space to do so, but I guess their research told them that a simulcast, that makes no sense, was more viable than Tejano.

They aren't testing Hip-Hop. That's just brokered programming that has been sold by the owners. All these shows can be heard on 1480, 1540, and 101.7 trimulcast (with 1540 being the parent station of 101.7).

Are you suggesting that Siga is leasing the station to "Daniel"? I don't know the guy, but if I were a friend I'd try to talk him out of it. If Tejano was a viable option, then a company like Univision would have gone after it already. They have the space to do so, but I guess their research told them that a simulcast, that makes no sense, was more viable than Tejano.

Well he said it was testing, and yes I think that’s the station he is going to lease. The guy is working hard to bring Tejano back. The station supposedly is going to cover Pasadena and around there. Not so much houston, Houston will basically have the AM signal. So yes I think he will lease from Siga.

And I thought it was Synergy not Siga.

Synergy is the name of the station. Siga is the owner of the station.

Hope he has a fallback plan. When you started this thread, I thought you were talking about a Centro station being leased. We all know those stations have Godly reach.

But a commercial attempt at music with a small translator and a format no other broadcaster will touch just seems like an uphill battle. Best of luck to the guy. I hope this is a business decision and not an emotional one.

So I was somewhat right, it’s on 1540 and 101.7. Not on 1480 like I had thought.

Nothing on 101.7.

An AM rimshot with virtually no nighttime signal anywhere outside of Galveston. Hate to say this, but I give this 6 months. 1540 has a terrible coverage footprint.

Was hearing Tejano music on 1540 at a 6:45pm check near downtown. Skywave was starting to come in, so choppy reception; thought I heard a liner for “Tejano Mix.”

Programming completely separate from 1480. However no sign of the 101.7 translator, just hearing marginal KNTE.

Was hearing Tejano music on 1540 at a 6:45pm check near downtown. Skywave was starting to come in, so choppy reception; thought I heard a liner for “Tejano Mix.”

Programming completely separate from 1480. However no sign of the 101.7 translator, just hearing marginal KNTE.

According to their Facebook page the FM station is being worked on. Should be be ready by April 15.

I'm pretty excited about this.. Tejano has been gone for a long time and i'm sure it wont be a big money maker it does make tons of people very happy.

i wonder if 101.7 from liberman being a bay city station and not a Houston station can fight it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom