• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTDY and WBEN and WISX

CassChopper96

Star Participant
I think that these stations are safe as of right now. As long as their ratings stay the same. These 3 stations get around the same ratings with Ben usually being slightly higher. As long as they don’t do as bad as 103.9 I think there in no risk of a format change. Both of the station recently had a change in ownership as well I heard. I think some people or overezgerating

Last edited:
Overezgerating and covfefe are the same thing, right? ;)

I'm not totally sure where this topic came from but I think of the three, WTDY would be the first to go...if there were a more profitable format to put on the frequency (and I'm not sure that there is). BEN keeps cheaply chugging along (although I did have a dream last night, ironically enough, that the station changed their name to "95-7 Now FM"). I think iHeart's gonna give WISX at least a year or two, although I'm sure they'll tweak it along the way.

PS: I haven't had a dream involving a radio station since probably the late '90s. haha

I’m not sure I even follow the original premise of the thread. Why those three out of all stations? And where does using 103.9 as a benchmark come from?

I’m not sure I even follow the original premise of the thread. Why those three out of all stations? And where does using 103.9 as a benchmark come from?

I'll take a guess: the three lowest 6+ numbers among Class B music FMs, and the (slim) chance that one might fall behind a Class A station.

WBEN does fine as it is. WISX seems to be finding its way and its a nice buy with its sister stations. WTDY is low but the numbers are there for the format. The demographics for an ac are awfully good so you don't need to get killer ratings to make some nice coin. The question is always what else would you do with it? Philly doesn't seem to have a history of supporting two top 40s and that is why it ended up being switched in the first place. WTDY right now would be wise to tweak their current format and try to make some inroads against 101.1. It's tuff, 101.1 doesn't really offer them the opportunity to be a younger version of the ac format as WBEB is pretty aggressive for an adult contemporary station as it is right now. Philly listeners are very stuck in their ways. They go to WIP for sports, WBEB for adult women, and WMMR has a loyal following with its morning show. Like I said, WTDY just needs to tweak here and there and get the numbers up a little bit. They don't need to set the world on fire to make money. What other format could they do? They all to seem to be covered so you are going to be the 2nd of any format you choose. Being the second adult contemporary seems to be most ideal, a better option than being the second classic rock, country, top 40 or urban station.

And expanding on the point about WISX and its cluster-mates, the same holds true for the other two. They both add value to their respective portfolios.

They all to seem to be covered so you are going to be the 2nd of any format you choose. Being the second adult contemporary seems to be most ideal, a better option than being the second classic rock, country, top 40 or urban station.

Surely being 2nd in AC is what CBS envisioned when they decide on the format. No one in their right mind would think "We're totally gonna dethrone WBEB!" And I couldn't agree more about being profitable: Especially with such a lucrative demo, a station can make money even if the audience isn't so big. There really isn't any format I can think of that would do better for them right now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom