• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WAXY-AM Sign a deal with University of Miami ink Multi-Year Deal

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35195

Its the broadcast rights to air University of Miami baseball games that Entercom has signed for 790 AM.

Entercom and the University of Miami ink a multi-year agreement that includes broadcasting rights of Miami Hurricanes baseball and ancillary baseball programming on WAXY-AM (AM 790 The Ticket)/Miami beginning with the 2018 season. As part of the partnership, The Ticket will broadcast at least 15 regular season games, all postseason baseball and various Canes baseball-focused programs throughout the season.
"We're excited to begin a new partnership with Miami Athletics and are ready to air Canes baseball game broadcasts and various shows for fans this spring," said Entercom South Florida Senior VP/Market Manager Keriann Worley. "There's not a better time than right now to be associated with the University of Miami and as part of our commitment to our listeners, we are always looking to bring them the excitement of the games they love."

Oh, if only WVUM had upped their signal before other stations such as WAFG (now WYBP) and WLFE came on line.

Oh, if only WVUM had upped their signal before other stations such as WAFG (now WYBP) and WLFE came on line.

They upgraded from I believe 1500 watts to 5900 after channel 6 went digital. If a further upgrade were possible they could have filed at least a CP and sat on it until funding became available.

Are you saying they will no longer broadcast UM sports? Because it's not unusual for a college team to be broadcast on both a college and a commercial station.

They will continue as always, but if the station had upgraded,
the games would be heard throughout the market without non-program material
such as what to buy from whom,
when the listeners are not interested in being told what to do.

They will continue as always, but if the station had upgraded,
the games would be heard throughout the market without non-program material
such as what to buy from whom,
when the listeners are not interested in being told what to do.

I'm not sure about that. I believe UM had been on WQAM for many years before this. I don't know of any competitive college team, especially in the ACC, that doesn't have a commercial radio partner in addition to the student station. Part of it is to be able to provide the team's commercial sponsors an outlet. Part of it is to have professional commentators and announcers who aren't students. So when you're talking about big time athletics, it's hard to avoid sponsorships.

I'm not sure about that. I believe UM had been on WQAM for many years before this. I don't know of any competitive college team, especially in the ACC, that doesn't have a commercial radio partner in addition to the student station. Part of it is to be able to provide the team's commercial sponsors an outlet. Part of it is to have professional commentators and announcers who aren't students. So when you're talking about big time athletics, it's hard to avoid sponsorships.

And WIOD prior to that, if I'm not mistaken. Being on a commercial station also allows the team to air 'call to action' ads as opposed to underwriting announcements on a non-com. I don't know if UM is in the position to command a broadcast rights fee from the flagship station but if they are I know I'd take the money from any station willing to pay it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom