• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM stations

Jakob9999

Regular Participant
What kind of AM stations have you received in NWA? Just got an AM/FM combo radio this AM from Amazon. My current radio was FM only and wanted to jump in on the AM long distance fun. Anyways, here is what I got; WBBM 730 Chicago all the way down in Arkansas. Is spotty unless I tilt the antenna into the couch. WHB, Kansas City, and WWL, New Orleans. There is something trying to come in on 920 but static is gonna make hearing the station ID hard even though I can hear somewhat audible audio. I have a 1030 AM, which I believe is our local 1030 from Fayetteville, Arkansas though no local commercials were aired. I also have WHO, though it is getting better as I type this. I also have a 1200 WOAI from San Antonio, Texas. I also have a 1250, but somehow, it's simulcasting the programing of 104.9 the x, yet I search for that AM channel for Fayetteville, Arkansas, and nothing. Post your results here. If you don't hear a station ID, or don't want to wait that long, listen for a local commercial and look up where they're at, and that will allow you to identify where the AM is coming from.

I left Fayetteville 21 years ago, but here’s what I remember getting on AM when I lived there. First, the locals (and semi locals):

790 KURM Rogers: Farm, Country, Talk
990 KRMO Cassville, MO (Pretty sure it moved from Monett during my time there): Country
1030 KFAY Fayetteville: News/Talk
1140 KLTK South West City, MO: Country/Dial-A-Trade (simulcast with an FM from the same city)
1190 KESE Bentonville: Had several formats, including easy listening
1250 KOFC Fayetteville: Religious (studios were in a small strip mall where Walgreens is at College and Township)
1290 KUOA Siloam Springs: Country/Talk
1390 KAMO Rogers: Simulcast of Country KAMO-FM occasionally broken for local sports
1590 KQXK/KZRA: Simulcast of Country KBEV 104.9 and later Z-Spanish Radio

The more distant AM's that usually came in were:

610 WDAF Kansas City
630 KJSL St. Louis
710 WHB Kansas City
740 KRMG Tulsa
820 WBAP Ft. Worth/Dallas
840 WHAS Louisville
860 KKOW Pittsburg, KS
890 WLS Chicago
920 KARN Little Rock
1080 KRLD Dallas/Ft. Worth
1090 KAAY Little Rock
1100 WTAM Cleveland
1110 KFAB Omaha
1120 KMOX St. Louis
1160 KSL Salt Lake City
1200 KYOO Bolivar, MO by day/WOAI San Antonio by night

Very little north of 1200 came in regularly. Got KSTP 1500 and KAPE 1550 fairly regularly. I seem to remember getting KXEL 1540 from time-to-time, too.

The former KOFC 1250 was recently sold to the owners of 104.9 The X. An FM translator will be moved in to simulcast it soon, and it will probably take on a new format afterward.

I left Fayetteville 21 years ago, but here’s what I remember getting on AM when I lived there. First, the locals (and semi locals):

790 KURM Rogers: Farm, Country, Talk
990 KRMO Cassville, MO (Pretty sure it moved from Monett during my time there): Country
1030 KFAY Fayetteville: News/Talk
1140 KLTK South West City, MO: Country/Dial-A-Trade (simulcast with an FM from the same city)
1190 KESE Bentonville: Had several formats, including easy listening
1250 KOFC Fayetteville: Religious (studios were in a small strip mall where Walgreens is at College and Township)
1290 KUOA Siloam Springs: Country/Talk
1390 KAMO Rogers: Simulcast of Country KAMO-FM occasionally broken for local sports
1590 KQXK/KZRA: Simulcast of Country KBEV 104.9 and later Z-Spanish Radio

610 WDAF Kansas City
630 KJSL St. Louis
710 WHB Kansas City
740 KRMG Tulsa
840 WHAS Louisville
860 KKOW Pittsburg, KS
890 WLS Chicago
920 KARN Little Rock
1090 KAAY Little Rock
1100 WTAM Cleveland
1110 KFAB Omaha
1120 KMOX St. Louis
1160 KSL Salt Lake City

Very little north of 1200 came in regularly. Got KSTP 1500 and KAPE 1550 fairly regularly. I seem to remember getting KXEL 1540 from time-to-time, too.

The former KOFC 1250 was recently sold to the owners of 104.9 The X. An FM translator will be moved in to simulcast it soon, and it will probably take on a new format afterward.

Nice hauls. That makes sense now. So I suspect the 104.9 simulcast will end once the new format arrives.

What kind of AM stations have you received in NWA? There is something trying to come in on 920 but static is gonna make hearing the station ID hard even though I can hear somewhat audible audio. .

920 is most likely sports talk KARN out of Little Rock.

610 WDAF Kansas City
630 KJSL St. Louis
710 WHB Kansas City
740 KRMG Tulsa
840 WHAS Louisville
860 KKOW Pittsburg, KS
890 WLS Chicago
920 KARN Little Rock
1090 KAAY Little Rock
1100 WTAM Cleveland
1110 KFAB Omaha
1120 KMOX St. Louis
1160 KSL Salt Lake City

Pretty similar to what I remember to scanning the AM dial a lot back in the 90s, though I never did hear KSL out of Salt Lake. Further west I could regularly pickup was 850 KOA Denver which would often come in clear at night, furthest north would be 830 WCCO and occasionally 1500 KSTP out of Minneapolis. Furthest east would be 750 WSB Atlanta and 1020 KDKA Pittsburgh.

Some more of what I also recall often hearing at night:
610 WDAF Kansas City (with a good radio you can faintly hear this and WHB on a winter day)
650 WSM Nashville
700 WLW Cincinnati
720 WGN Chicago
740 KRMG Tulsa (a semi-local that comes in pretty clear at day)
780 WBBM Chicago
790 KURM Rogers was the only local that came in clear in much of NWA both day and night
820 WBAP Dallas
840 WHAS Louisville
860 KKOW Pittsburg, KS
870 WWL New Orleans
890 WLS Chicago
1040 WHO Des Moines
1080 KRLD Dallas
1090 KAAY Little Rock (was easier back then as their transmitter has deteriorated)
1120 KMOX St. Louis
1170 KVOO Tulsa (also heard at day; now KFAQ)
1200 WOAI San Antonio

Yes, most anything above 1200 was pretty much unidentifiable, but 1520 KOMA Oklahoma City was the best bet. I could also occasionally get 1510 WLAC Nashville and 1210 KGYN Guymon

Here is what I have so far tonight.

1080 KRLD Dallas
730 AM
820 AM WBAP Dallas
1120 AM KMOX St. Louis
1380 AM

If you can help me identify the ones with no town or calls, that would be great. Location I'm in is Farmington, Arkansas.

What does 730 air? I used to get the former KKDA 730 out of Dallas once-in-awhile when I was in Fayetteville. For a 250 watt signal, it could really get out. Pretty sure it runs a Korean format now.

1380 was usually nothing when I was there. I got the 1380 from St. Louis a time or two when it was a simulcast of WKBQ. It was, however, a very rare catch. If it’s airing Spanish-language programming, it’s probably the Tulsa signal.

I do not remember what both aired. I think 1380 had a St Louis Cardinals game on it I believe. 730, I don't know.

What I have tonight on the AM radio.

580 AM
630 AM KIDD Monterey, California. Breaks my record for furthest AM station ever pulled. Very certain it was them, unless I was pulling in KTRW, Opportunity, Washington, which is unlikely since KIDD is classical and is what I heard (pretty certain the first song I heard was based off the classical piece Cannon, the same piece that Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Cannon is based off of) as adult standards songs contain vocals (unless I got the few adult standards songs without vocals) Either way, whichever it is I am pulling in still breaks the record. I should update that I heard vocals. Sounded gospel/quoir-esk.
670 AM WSCR Chicago, Illinois
690 AM. Very Faint
700 AM WLW Cinncinati, Ohio (you might have heard legends of their massive 500,000 watt tower)
740 AM KRMG Tulsa, Oklahoma
750 AM WSB Atlanta, Georgia (the AM's in the states surrounding Arkansas have to shut down at night because of WSB's 50,000 watt power day/night, making this extremely likely that I got WSB)
780 AM WBBM Chicago, Illinois
810 AM WHB Kansas City, Missouri
820 AM WBAP, Dallas/Fort Woth, Texas
840 AM WHAS Louisville, Kentucky (audio got a bit better to the point I could hear iheart radio followed by the callsign)
930 AM WTAD Quincy, Illinois. Impressive for a 5,000 watts Day, 1,000 watts night station
1040 AM WHO Des Moines, Iowa
1050 AM
1090 AM KAAY Little Rock, Arkansas
1120 AM KMOX St. Louis, Missouri
1130 AM most likely KAAB out of Batesville, Arkansas
1140 AM KLTK South West City, Missouri, Most likely this station. Unsure though since it had what sounded like Spanish talk on it.
1190 AM KDMR Kansas City, Missouri
1200 AM WOAI San Antonio, Texas
1260 AM KSGF Springfield, Missouri
1330 AM KGLD Tyler, Texas
1380 AM KMUS Sperry/Tulsa, Oklahoma
1400 AM KAOK Lake Charles, Louisiana
1420 AM No idea. Appeared to be airing either Mexican/Spanish music
1440 AM Toss up between KMAJ, Topkea, Kansas, KEYS, Corpus Christie, Texas, KETX, Livingston, Texas, or any other station from Texas, Missouri, etc.\
1510 AM WLAC Nashville, Tennessee. Also fairly certain I heard the Weather Channel's Local on the 8's is starting music as well. Not sure where that could have come from
1520 AM KOKC Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1590 AM Possibly KPRT Kansas City, Missouri. What faint audio I do have sounds like Urban Gospel, but I also get a Mexican/Spanish vibe (it sounds like I hear accordions), but that could be the static making my brain deceitful and making the Urban Gospel sound like another format.
1600 AM. I need help here. I heard a commercial for Jim Butler Jeep, however, cannot find anything for the 1600 AM slot in Linn, Missouri, where the aforementioned dealership is at, so I am assuming this is KATZ, based out of St. Louis, Missouri, as they are the only ones on the 1600 frequency airing the type of music I heard, which is gospel I believe. The only other 1600 AM licensed in Missouri does adult contemporary, counting them out.
1630 AM KCJJ Iowa City, Iowa. Very faint, but could just "barely" make out their top 40 portion of their broadcast (If you are listening at night and hear top 40/Adult Contemporary music coming from 1630, then it's most likely KCJJ from Iowa City, Iowa)
1700 AM WJCC? Miami Springs, Florida. Fairly certain this is them. Never head world ethnic music, but it could be what's playing. It sounds Mexican/Spanish-esk with accordions but cannot find any stations with that format, and there's not a lot. List here.

This makes it 32 stations I pulled in tonight. That's a pretty bug haul.

What I have tonight on the AM radio.
630 AM KIDD Monterey, California. Breaks my record for furthest AM station ever pulled. Very certain it was them, unless I was pulling in KTRW, Opportunity, Washington, which is unlikely since KIDD is classical and is what I heard (pretty certain the first song I heard was based off the classical piece Cannon, the same piece that Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Cannon is based off of) as adult standards songs contain vocals (unless I got the few adult standards songs without vocals) Either way, whichever it is I am pulling in still breaks the record. I should update that I heard vocals. Sounded gospel/quoir-esk.

1700 AM WJCC? Miami Springs, Florida. Fairly certain this is them. Never head world ethnic music, but it could be what's playing. It sounds Mexican/Spanish-esk with accordions but cannot find any stations with that format, and there's not a lot.

The "Spanish-esque" music is likely Haitian merengue, in Kreyol, a very distinct dialect of French. WJCC indeed broadcasts in Kreyol for the huge Haitian community in the Miami metro, and is heard widely... including Scandinavia, South America and even New Zealand and Australia.

As to the 630, you are likely referring to Pachelbel's "Canon in D".

But during evening reception on 630 from Arkansas, KIDD is very unlikely on a very crowded channel. KIDD is classical, as in Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, etc. Sol Levine's format does not include vocals or "standards" during weekday hours (unless something has changed very recently). Essentially the only vocal classical music is opera, and classical stations tend to reserve opera only for specialty shows, such as weekends.

KIDD rebroadcasts K-Mozart from Levine's Los Angeles operations on the HD4 of KKGO.

There are a number of religious stations on 630, the most obvious one being St Louis, that might have had the kind of music you describe as part of a show. Similarly, the San Antonio station which is also religious could have had such content. And those are not the only nearby and more likely catches...

KIDD is highly directional. Nearly no power goes east-southeast towards your location. Further, if you heard the station just before you posted, it would have still been daylight over most of the path from CA to AR.

For reference, here is what KIDD played from 5 PM to 7 PM local time on Wednesday:

5/1/19 7:22PM London Chamber/Christopher Warren-Green Vivaldi:Concerto For 4 Violins B Minor
5/1/19 7:12PM Budapest Symphony Liszt: Polonaise Brillante
5/1/19 7:01PM Orchestra Of The Age Of Enlightenment Cpe Bach: Symphony In D Major
5/1/19 6:54PM New Princess Theatre Orch/John Mcglinn Gershwin:Oh
5/1/19 6:05PM Berlin Philharmonic Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2
5/1/19 6:01PM Berlin Philharmonic/Herbert Von Karajan Offenbach: Bacarolle
5/1/19 5:03PM Dallas Symphony Orch/Eduardo Mata Respighi:pines Of Rome
5/1/19 4:44PM Wiener Philharmoniker Mozart:piano Sonata No. 8 In A Minor
5/1/19 4:17PM Jean-Yves Thibaudet Tchaikovsky: Polonaise From Eugen Onegin
5/1/19 4:00PM English Symphony/William Boughton Britten: Young Person's Guide To Orchest
5/1/19 3:13PM Franz Schubert String Quintet Schubert: String Quintet In C Major
5/1/19 3:09PM Scottish Chamber Orch/Alexander Faris Sullivan: Hms Pinafore Overture
5/1/19 2:04PM National Philharmonic Orchestra Respighi: La Botique Fantasque

They did not play the Canon in D today at any time.

Last edited:

The "Spanish-esque" music is likely Haitian merengue, in Kreyol, a very distinct dialect of French. WJCC indeed broadcasts in Kreyol for the huge Haitian community in the Miami metro, and is heard widely... including Scandinavia, South America and even New Zealand and Australia.

As to the 630, you are likely referring to Pachelbel's "Canon in D".

But during evening reception on 630 from Arkansas, KIDD is very unlikely on a very crowded channel. KIDD is classical, as in Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, etc. Sol Levine's format does not include vocals or "standards" during weekday hours (unless something has changed very recently). Essentially the only vocal classical music is opera, and classical stations tend to reserve opera only for specialty shows, such as weekends.

KIDD rebroadcasts K-Mozart from Levine's Los Angeles operations on the HD4 of KKGO.

There are a number of religious stations on 630, the most obvious one being St Louis, that might have had the kind of music you describe as part of a show. Similarly, the San Antonio station which is also religious could have had such content. And those are not the only nearby and more likely catches...

KIDD is highly directional. Nearly no power goes east-southeast towards your location. Further, if you heard the station just before you posted, it would have still been daylight over most of the path from CA to AR.

For reference, here is what KIDD played from 5 PM to 7 PM local time on Wednesday:

5/1/19 7:22PM London Chamber/Christopher Warren-Green Vivaldi:Concerto For 4 Violins B Minor
5/1/19 7:12PM Budapest Symphony Liszt: Polonaise Brillante
5/1/19 7:01PM Orchestra Of The Age Of Enlightenment Cpe Bach: Symphony In D Major
5/1/19 6:54PM New Princess Theatre Orch/John Mcglinn Gershwin:Oh
5/1/19 6:05PM Berlin Philharmonic Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2
5/1/19 6:01PM Berlin Philharmonic/Herbert Von Karajan Offenbach: Bacarolle
5/1/19 5:03PM Dallas Symphony Orch/Eduardo Mata Respighi:pines Of Rome
5/1/19 4:44PM Wiener Philharmoniker Mozart:piano Sonata No. 8 In A Minor
5/1/19 4:17PM Jean-Yves Thibaudet Tchaikovsky: Polonaise From Eugen Onegin
5/1/19 4:00PM English Symphony/William Boughton Britten: Young Person's Guide To Orchest
5/1/19 3:13PM Franz Schubert String Quintet Schubert: String Quintet In C Major
5/1/19 3:09PM Scottish Chamber Orch/Alexander Faris Sullivan: Hms Pinafore Overture
5/1/19 2:04PM National Philharmonic Orchestra Respighi: La Botique Fantasque

They did not play the Canon in D today at any time.

That would make sense for the 1700 for what I heard. If the KIDD report is false, then that would be the farthest AM station I have gotten (beating the two Chicago stations I picked up

Ah. The time this station came in was between 10:30 PM and 11:00 PM, making it 8:30-9:00 Pacific time, about the time California would experience its AM hops. It could've been when I tuned in, but I swear what I heard sounded like Cannon D (or one of its many derivatives, but not TSO's), bu then vocals sounding gospel/quoir/opera came in, so that just adds to the mystery.

When I lived in Fayetteville, KJSL 630 was like a local at night. As it now runs BBN programming, which includes a lot of traditional hymns, my guess is that was what you were getting.

1600 was almost certainly KATZ. I currently live about an hour from Linn, and I can confirm that KATZ is the only 1600 nearby.

690 was probably KGGF from Coffeyville, KS. That was my usual there.

Surprised you got KAOK out of Lake Charles. 1400 was always a mishmash of various signal 20+ years ago. On a personal note, the worst excuse for a boss, and for a human being, I've ever met works down-the-hall from KAOK.

Again, surprised you could get KGLD on 1330. That frequency was clear when I lived there, and I still never got much. I'd think KQIS, which wasn’t on-air yet, would stomp all over it today.

1420 was always KBTN when I was there. If you heard another language, it probably wasn’t KBTN, though. I hear KBTN is running a classic rock format today.

KLTK runs a Spanish-language format, though I'm not sure if it airs much talk programming. It also has a translator at 99.9, but you probably won’t get it in Fayetteville.

Still not sure what you heard on 730 and 1380. My guess is that you heard the former KKDA on 730, but I can’t tell without knowing exactly what was airing. As for 1380, neither the Cardinals nor the Royals show any affiliates on 1380.

There is a 1600 AM in northern Missouri that airs adult contemporary music. I just can't remember where that one was at. With the type of music heard, KATZ is 100% likely. I am surprised at some of the stations I pulled in myself. I think I partially figured out the 730 and 1380 AM. I heard a cardinals game on 730, though am still unsure of 1380.

The 1600 from northern Missouri is KTTN-Trenton. They are 500 watts ND day and 33 watts ND at night.

Last edited:
Correct. No chance he was getting that station. I live about 100 miles as the crow flies from Trenton, and I've never logged it here. He was definitely getting KATZ. I had no trouble getting KATZ at night when I lived in Tulsa, but I can’t remember if I ever got it in Fayetteville.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom