• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cuts coming to CNN

The articles I've seen say the cuts are coming from the digital media side, not TV.

Exactly...here's a quote from the above linked article:

" I’ve learned that CNN, a key property in AT&T’s planned takeover of CNN’s parent company, Time Warner, is targeting big savings on the digital side, with as many as 50 jobs around the globe scheduled to be eliminated this week, according to people familiar with the matter, who noted the exact number could still be in flux."

They have to cut somewhere. Low ratings, falling ad revenue and falling revenue from cable operators has to be addressed somehow. Instead of improving their product, they are cutting. Not likely to improve things. More of the same from a failing enterprise.

They have to cut somewhere. Low ratings, falling ad revenue and falling revenue from cable operators has to be addressed somehow. Instead of improving their product, they are cutting. Not likely to improve things. More of the same from a failing enterprise.

That really isn't true. They have revenues coming from a myriad of businesses beyond one cable channel. They are a diversified business that is doing very well. They're doing so well that AT&T wants to buy them. The only reason for these cuts it they would duplicate services already being done by AT&T. Even under a oppressive and unjustified threat from the federal government, AT&T is proceeding with their merger.

Conglomerates are being forced to evaluate every aspect of their business. CNN is not providing anything resembling a decent return on investment. Gone are the days where a poorly performing division like CNN will be allowed to be carried by a competently run division. So, as I wrote, CNN has to make cuts, and likely will continue to need to as they aren't exhibiting any changes that will result in improved performance. No real loss as there are other available resources. Finally, AT&T cannot complete their merger until the lawsuit by DoJ, which was fully justified as allowing AT&T to acquire Time Warner does raise legitimate antitrust issues, for which they have no response other than a false argument that they are being harassed, is adjudicated. This isn't likely to happen anytime soon, so I predict AT&T will walk away. They'd be wise to do so, unless they decide to divest the CNN assets which are a drag on the company.

Conglomerates are being forced to evaluate every aspect of their business. CNN is not providing anything resembling a decent return on investment. Gone are the days where a poorly performing division like CNN will be allowed to be carried by a competently run division. So, as I wrote, CNN has to make cuts, and likely will continue to need to as they aren't exhibiting any changes that will result in improved performance.

The facts are the cuts are strictly 50 people in the digital division. You've invented some fiction about this being a "poorly performing division" and don't have any facts to substantiate that.

No facts to support CNN's poor performance?!? Are you serious?!? Have you been living under a rock?!?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/10/cnn-advertising-drop-stunning_n_3051421.html

http://thefederalist.com/2017/07/06...-now-losing-nick-nite-prime-time-ratings-war/

http://www.*************/big-journalism/2017/12/13/ratings-rout-last-place-cnn-terrible-2017/

https://www.dailywire.com/news/18181/just-how-badly-cnn-collapsing-look-these-numbers-james-barrett

"Facts" from the brownshirts at Breitbart, lol.

No facts to support CNN's poor performance?!? Are you serious?!? Have you been living under a rock?!?

Great job...all of the most biased far right sources you can find. I was asking you to post REPUTABLE sources about their financial results.

Great job...all of the most biased far right sources you can find. I was asking you to post REPUTABLE sources about their financial results.

HuffPost isn't far right, but he's linked to an article from 2013. Oops. And the Washington Post story that the HuffPost leeched onto back then was about advertisers' lukewarm backing for the CNN that was trying to play all the news straight down the middle, not the CNN that is currently in full-blown get-Trump mode.

HuffPost isn't far right, but he's linked to an article from 2013. Oops.

And article that mentions the strong results from CNN International. That's my point. CNN isn't just one channel in the US. It's many channels around the world. It has a very diversified revenue base.

And once again, the OP only says 50 cuts, all in the digital division.

HuffPost isn't far right, but he's linked to an article from 2013. Oops. And the Washington Post story that the HuffPost leeched onto back then was about advertisers' lukewarm backing for the CNN that was trying to play all the news straight down the middle, not the CNN that is currently in full-blown get-Trump mode.

No oops, I included that specifically to show that CNN has been having issues for some time.

CNN is a mess. It's apparent to nearly everyone.

It is quite possible you are BOTH right.

The cuts are coming only from the digital side of the company,
AND the TV side is underperforming.

Except AT&T who wants to buy it.

Of course, they're buying a conglomerate which happens to have this one awful asset.

After they lose their court case, I predict they'll try again after agreeing to dump CNN, but they'll be forced to make even more concessions at that point.

Of course, they're buying a conglomerate which happens to have this one awful asset.

They don't see it that way.

If they agree to drop CNN, that'll just make AT&T's case that this is selective enforcement.

If the division is so bad and so unimportant, then it shouldn't be the sticking point in the deal.

But it is because this is personal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom