WKDN 950 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WKDN 950

>>>The station has not showed up in PPM since a couple of 0.1 months in 2014, and has gotten 0.0 since then.<<<

Well, a non-commercial religious radio station can often be profitable without much ratings to speak of. Maybe its small but devoted number of listeners are generous in their contributions. When Family Radio had to sell off its NYC, Washington and Philly full-power FM stations, it found a struggling AM station in the market to move to. In NYC, Family Radio got the old 1560 WQXR, running 50,000 watts. And 950 WPEN also had a good signal for being on a regional frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    Well, a non-commercial religious radio station can often be profitable without much ratings to speak of.
    Maybe profitable isn't the best or intended word, but this station is fulfilling its mission, even if its with limited power at night.

Betw Hazleton and Pottsville PA ; Allentown closest market
    I'm pretty certain I'm not the most devout person posting, but I came to enjoy Family Radio on 1560 from NYC back when the frequency was vacant for a week or so and I got to DX a few stations in their absence from here in NE PA. I liked the music.
    Sorry, but I don't accept the secular stuff nowadays that passes for 'Contemporary Christian' fare on the radio. That sounds like modern Conutry ... which sounds like modern A/C ...... (yawn)
    Of course, I'm no fan of things like 'Rock of Ages' or 'He's Got The Whole World In His Hands', or 'Bringing In The Sheaves', but there is a musical middle ground that WFME seems to find.
    For me, anyway. When I'm in the mood.

Last I saw of a WPEN 950 tower array, the sticks seemed to be distributed amid the parking lot of an apartment complex. Was that their original site?

The Rapture might arrive in a month or so. Easter Sunday coincides with April 1st. You are advised to get your shopping done soon.
    Last edited by Steve Green NEPA; 02-17-2018 at 09:51 AM. Reason: didn't go to confession

Is Philly now the biggest city with the most AM stations that have high-power daytime signals but weak nighttime signals (and no FM simulcast)?

640 WWJZ - 50 kW day, 950 watts night
    950 WKDN - 43 kW day, 650 watts night
    1540 WNWR - 50 kW day, 250 watts night

WKDN might only be 650 at night, but that 650 gets out very well. It covers the whole city and most of the south jersey with a very clear signal.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post
    WKDN might only be 650 at night, but that 650 gets out very well. It covers the whole city and most of the south jersey with a very clear signal.
    Can anyone confirm that they've actually switched to the 650-watt nighttime signal yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kevtronics View Post
    Can anyone confirm that they've actually switched to the 650-watt nighttime signal yet?
    Actually, as of this past weekend, they were still operating at night from the WWDB towers in East Norriton.

What I always wondered is why WPEN did not keep the old night array intact as an auxiliary backup at the Overbrook site when they moved to WWDB's towers. Now they would have been able to just go back to the old site at 5KW at night, rather than 650W NDA at night. That way they would still have seen a dramatic costs savings by not having the rent expenses to WWDB or operation of a high powered transmitter at night (they currently run at 21KW at night).
    Rene Tetro
    Director of Engineering
    WNTP 990AM -WFIL 560AM
    Philadelphia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12