• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kudlow

Westwood One is offering affiliates a 2-hour "Best of Kudlow" show each week. If Kudlow did timeless interviews I could see that possibly working, but the last time I checked Kudlow did financial commentary.

I'm sure that Cumulus/WWO is aware of the fact that the stock market is open every day, so I can only assume they are completely out of weekend talk programming ideas.

Today Michelle Caruso Cabrera "filled in" for Larry. They might be smart to keep the show alive with rotating hosts for awhile. While Larry's tenure will likely outlast that of "The Mooch," there is a well oiled revolving door at the White House.

Quick update: Kudlow's show is losing affiliates hand-over-fist. After their initial offer of a scaled-down "best of Kudlow" show (rightfully) was rejected by affiliates, the folks at Westwood One quickly pivoted and offered Clark Howard's weekend show. Some Kudlow affiliates have bailed on WWO altogether for the Kudlow slot, but those that haven't are hitching their wagons to Clark.

Wonder why they wouldn't offer the Batchelor/Kudlow Tuesday show as the weekend 2-hour show. Other than they'd also have to pay Batchelor.

Wonder why they wouldn't offer the Batchelor/Kudlow Tuesday show as the weekend 2-hour show. Other than they'd also have to pay Batchelor.

You answered your own question. WWO is owned by Cumulus, which is bankrupt. Besides, Kudlow's show was nominally about finance. For PDs with that mindset, Clark Howard checks that box (and has a bigger national profile) much moreso than John Batchelor.

And again, Clark Howard's helping WWO keep some of the Kudlow affiliates but not all of them. The WWO/Cumulus revenue stream is getting ever-so-slightly smaller.

I realize that, wadio. My response wasn't as pointed at you as it probably came off. (Apologies for that. Tone is easy to mis-read in forums like this.)

I am genuinely curious, though, about what behind-closed-door discussions happened between Kudlow and Cumulus/WWO. He's been with them for years, so maybe he actually did ask them to keep his seat warm because you never know how long someone will last in the Trump administration. I'm also surprised Cumulus/WWO didn't game-plan for this months ago. I mean, it's not like Kudlow's name wasn't thrown around for this type of job before.

@mrkadison, thanks for explaining ... no offense taken!

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend. With the roster of regular guests already in place it shouldn't be too hard to find a semi-permanent host or perhaps audition possible permanent hosts for awhile.

Well, will Kudlow concede that his time in the Trump Administration is limited? That he'll be back in private business and back on the radio next year? Otherwise, you wouldn't keep a three-hour weekly radio show going with fill-ins, hoping the host returns. Guest hosts probably won't wow the affiliates or the advertisers. The reason the Kudlow show even existed was that he was well-known from his CNBC appearances, on the McLaughlin Group and other TV outlets, as well as his political connections.

As said above, Westwood One is offering affiliates a weekend Clark Howard Show, although they really are different animals, other than both have some relationship to money. Clark Howard is about helping consumers deal with companies and financial institutions that are giving them problems. I'm sure for his weekend show, he'll just take a few more calls already waiting at the end of his weekday shows, and put another three hours together, prerecorded.

Meanwhile Kudlow was more about the big picture on the nation's economy. His main philosophy is, if you cut taxes way back for business and the wealthy, they'll reward the country with economic growth that will lead to more jobs for all. I really think that makes no sense. Businesses will give the money back to shareholders or use it to acquire other companies. The wealthy will just pocket the extra money. If you want to boost the economy, give a one-time check to working class families for $1000 or something similar. They'll SPEND it. They'll buy washing machines or build an extra bedroom. That will spur the economy much better. But this is not a forum on economic theory.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom