• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KCYB Cypress Radio 103.5 fielding complaints from listeners

KCYB has been hearing from listeners who are receiving the recently licensed translator at 103.5. Upon hearing silence of the open translator carrier, they're suspecting KCYB might be off the air. They have heard from people as close as 2 miles from the tower.

KCYB has posted on Facebook and the station's website asking for listeners no longer able to receive KCYB to file a detailed complaint via an online form.

The station has quite a following in Houston's suburbs that can hear the station as well as online listeners. Among their offerings is Colonel St. James, a Texas Hall of Fame broadcaster who previously was the Program Director for KRRW, The Arrow, now known as The Beat. St. James is a well known Houston air talent. The station offer club mixes on weekend nights including occasional live broadcasts from a popular club known to the core target audience.

The station, in addition to music, has offered airtime to various local non-profit organizations to educate and inform.

The complaint form is found here: http://cypressradio.org/complaint-form.html

Actually it works much better when the station submits the complaints from listeners. A single complaint can get lost in the shuffle much easier but grouped together by the station it makes the FCC's job a bit easier in figuring it all out.

The complaints will get ignored regardless, it's a Centro Cristiano translator...

Why so much hate against Centro Cristiano? If the complaint gets ignored it gets ignored without having it belonged to anyone. It could get ignored regardless of who owns the translator.

Why so much hate against Centro Cristiano? If the complaint gets ignored it gets ignored without having it belonged to anyone. It could get ignored regardless of who owns the translator.

The reports, here and in other sources, seem to indicate a less than perfect regard for FCC rules by that licensee. While there is a greater burden of proof than conjecture, we seem to have a "where there's smoke, there's fire" reason to suspect that interference in this case may be potentially due to a non-compliance situation.

In any case, a new translator that interferes... even outside the protected contour... with a "full" station must shut down, reduce power, change frequency or directionalize according the the case and possibilities. The FCC will, in such cases, look at the complaints, and possibly order the station to shut down; failure to comply could result in loss of license.

If you look at the antenna pattern on fccdata.org, it's a tight western facing pattern for the translator...but it's heard all over including Conroe, Rosenberg, Pasadena and Baytown...nope, it's illegal...I'm trying to stop at the bldg it's on to look at TX and antenna...pics will be posted

If you look at the antenna pattern on fccdata.org, it's a tight western facing pattern for the translator...but it's heard all over including Conroe, Rosenberg, Pasadena and Baytown...nope, it's illegal...I'm trying to stop at the bldg it's on to look at TX and antenna...pics will be posted
I'd be interested to see what they have too. EMF can't be too thrilled at all the interference being caused to their station.

It's bad.

The reports, here and in other sources, seem to indicate a less than perfect regard for FCC rules by that licensee. While there is a greater burden of proof than conjecture, we seem to have a "where there's smoke, there's fire" reason to suspect that interference in this case may be potentially due to a non-compliance situation.

In any case, a new translator that interferes... even outside the protected contour... with a "full" station must shut down, reduce power, change frequency or directionalize according the the case and possibilities. The FCC will, in such cases, look at the complaints, and possibly order the station to shut down; failure to comply could result in loss of license.

I wish I could say I expect the Commission to do something, but the head of the enforcement division for this area has been well aware of the situation with Centro for quite a while now, and their actions so far have been minimal.

There have been rumblings in the market that the enforcement division has been ordered to turn a blind eye to Centro. Given just how long episodes like this one have gone on completely unchecked, you have to wonder.

Unlike matters involving some speculation, like the potentially omnidirectional or over-power operation of 103.5, it's a fact that K231CN is not rebroadcasting KODA. It's now "rebroadcasting" KFNC-HD2, which is non-existent, and has been since the current format launched on 94.1 last year. Centro was required to inform the FCC of the change in a timely fashion and has failed to do so, likely because the new parent station can't legally be the new parent station - the translator is located outside the parent station's 60 dBu contour and substantially extends its coverage to the west.

The issues surrounding K231CN aren't speculation - they're cold, hard, easily provable fact.

And nobody cares.

I wish I could say I expect the Commission to do something, but the head of the enforcement division for this area has been well aware of the situation with Centro for quite a while now, and their actions so far have been minimal.

Try a Google search on "WSGS Interference FCC" and look at the documents.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...us-ordered-by-fcc-to-pull-lexington-ky-transl is an interesting summary.

There have been rumblings in the market that the enforcement division has been ordered to turn a blind eye to Centro. Given just how long episodes like this one have gone on completely unchecked, you have to wonder.

There is no reason why Centro would not get the same degree of scrutiny as any other licensee.

And nobody cares.

Enforcement is almost always the result of a complaint. The first thing to question is whether anyone has filed a complaint yet.

Last edited:

There is no reason why Centro would not get the same degree of scrutiny as any other licensee.

There might be one.

The word on the street here is that Centro has escaped any serious scrutiny and/or enforcement action due to the actions of some friends in Congress.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a congressman got involved on a broadcaster's behalf and helped them get things done.

Who's Roberto?

As for the government doing things wrong, well, let's just say I know many people with disabilities. The ADA, or Americans with Disabilities act, helps disabled people out by requiring businesses to make themselves accessible or possibly face a lawsuit. It was introduced in 1990. However a new bill created and recently passed by the house aims to roll back the ADA. Read this for details.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...n-house-gop-attack-americans-disabilities-act
Basically every disabled person I know hates the bill. One congressman who promised some friends of mine he would vote against the bill ended up voting for it and changing his mind. People I know didn't like that at all.
Therefore the Government is disappointing me right now. And all this stuff with the FCC ignoring people who blatantly violate the rules just ads to the fire.
See here for more details on Cesar Guel. https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?609406-Radio-Ola/page2

And I was told by another engineer that Roberto is buddies with our xxxFM too....hmmmm

Is the "Roberto" you speak of actually "Antonio?"

The "engineering" for the Centro translators was being handled by Antonio Cesar Guel. I know of one episode where he contacted the owners of a tower, proposing to place a single, non-directional antenna on their tower with a combiner for two translators. One translator was non-directional. The other was highly directional.

I was unable to discern if he knew any better and just didn't care, or if he was truly unaware that was a no-go scenario from a legal standpoint.

He was also planning to install transmitters capable of 2kW TPO, which would have been extreme overkill, even factoring in transmission line and combiner losses.

Our buddy XXX might be friends with Centro but he doesn't really like the new owner of 91.1.

FM STATION APPLICATIONS FOR ASSIGNMENT OF LICENSE INFORMAL OBJECTION
--------------------------------------------------------------------

TX BALED-20170717AAA KNLY 173796 NORTHWOOD HISPANIC COMMUNICATION CENTER Voluntary Assignment of License
E 91.1 MHZ NEW WAVERLY, TX From: CENTRO CRISTIANO DE VIDA ETERNA
To: NORTHWOOD HISPANIC COMMUNICATION
CENTER
Form 314

Informal Objection filed
02/14/2018 by JXX XXXXXXXN

"I AM FILING THIS TO RAISE AN OBJECTION TO THE CURRENT OWNER OF KNLY. FOR YEARS, THIS STATION HAS RELIABLY SERVED ITS COMMUNITY. NOW, WITH A TRANSFER TO A NEW OWNER, ITS OPERATION HAS BECOME SPORADIC. IT HAS BEEN SILENT FOR SEVERAL WEEKS NOT WITHOUT ANY STA FILINGS EXPLAINING THIS STATUS. "

ITS OPERATION HAS BECOME SPORADIC

This is a lie. They were consistently causing interference to KTSU all of last year. It's only been as of late that they've been off the air.

The real complain should have been last year when they were operating a non-commercial station as a commercial station.

There might be one.

The word on the street here is that Centro has escaped any serious scrutiny and/or enforcement action due to the actions of some friends in Congress.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time a congressman got involved on a broadcaster's behalf and helped them get things done.

I've heard a rumor that Cesar Guel is working with the police. If that's true we're pretty much screwed unless someone does something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom