XLNC1 to close March 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XLNC1 to close March 1

Quote Originally Posted by Signal Geek View Post
    KUSC can be heard in other areas of San Diego besides North County. It comes in OK in the metro area and East County as well. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, KPBS-HD2/San Diego is full-time classical, with a full-service signal (albeit in HD). So, most of San Diego *does* have other places to hear classical music over-the-air.
    No doubt it is syndicated content from Minnesota or Chicago. XLNC was local...

XLNC was local but almost always automated. That's not a knock. I thought simply having a prerecorded voice announce each work was enough. One voice in English, one in Spanish, one before the piece begins, one as it ends.

Meanwhile, I believe KUSC is live from early morning to late night. I'm not sure if it voice tracks the overnight shift (as does WQXR NYC) or carries one of the public radio classical services mentioned above, one from Minnesota Public Radio, one from WFMT Chicago.

For some reason, XHLNC got a reprieve of a few more days. My guess is that whoever is gearing up to take this station on can't do it until after the weekend or further technical adjustments were needed.

Looking at some of the material, I need to ask a question. Did they ever run even the Mexican PSAs that they are required to? Especially the electoral ones? Even if only on the OTA signal? That's an important compliance burden, and I'd be surprised if they didn't air any at all at any time.
    "You're gorgeous, you're beautiful, you're on Stereo 99...Phoenix's B-B-C!"

The reprieve is over, and so is all the speculation:

https://twitter.com/LARSAVISIONTV/st...96533049688064

It's a noncommercial station being operated by a commercial station group — what I call a social wolf. A lot of this activity is from companies that just want to be in a given market, very much fitting Larsa (they've done a ton of expansion in the last year, with new stations from one end of the border to the other and even an HD3-translator in Tucson).

Splash page website (for now) which includes the Listen Live link: http://larsavision.tv/estaciones/tijuana/104.9/

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    Splash page website (for now) which includes the Listen Live link: http://larsavision.tv/estaciones/tijuana/104.9/
    The "Toņo" format is used by Larsa, albeit commercially, in quite a few of their markets. It's Adult Hits, which in Spanish means ballads, light pop, and softer regional / grupera music. It does not have the rock flavor many US Adult Hits stations have; it leans traditional regional Mexican.

Interestingly, this is a Spanish language format that was created in the US (at KRCD in LA in 2000) and initially rejected in Mexico. In Mexico, it was thought it would have mostly lower income appeal (groups D and E) and be of little impact in A, B and C. But when it was tried, it got considerable B and C+ listening, and has now been adopted in many markets.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The "Toņo" format is used by Larsa, albeit commercially, in quite a few of their markets. It's Adult Hits, which in Spanish means ballads, light pop, and softer regional / grupera music. It does not have the rock flavor many US Adult Hits stations have; it leans traditional regional Mexican.

Interestingly, this is a Spanish language format that was created in the US (at KRCD in LA in 2000) and initially rejected in Mexico. In Mexico, it was thought it would have mostly lower income appeal (groups D and E) and be of little impact in A, B and C. But when it was tried, it got considerable B and C+ listening, and has now been adopted in many markets.
    I've mentioned this, but I learned a few months ago how it got its name and I feel some here will like this story.

You see, Grupo Larsa is named for its owner, Luis Antonio Ramos Méndez.

What's his nickname? Of course, Toņo.

It can be reasonably said that Toņo is Larsa's flagship format, and it is the first thing they introduce when they expand to a new market.

In all actuality, XLNC was no ball hit out of the yard. Their pension to play a mishmash of classical and The Carpenters and Bryan Adams was downright weird. But the real killer was their terrible decision to move to 104.9 fm. This was supposed to be a signal improvement, but was not.

Their advertising and marketing was also a mess. They NEVER would have in their print ads XLNC 104.9 Classical Music. They avoided using the word "classical music." So if you would move to San Diego and would want to hear that kind of music, you would never know where to find it if you saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwulfdawg View Post
    In all actuality, XLNC was no ball hit out of the yard. Their pension to play a mishmash of classical and The Carpenters and Bryan Adams was downright weird. But the real killer was their terrible decision to move to 104.9 fm. This was supposed to be a signal improvement, but was not.

Their advertising and marketing was also a mess. They NEVER would have in their print ads XLNC 104.9 Classical Music. They avoided using the word "classical music." So if you would move to San Diego and would want to hear that kind of music, you would never know where to find it if you saw it.
    Sounds like their former "Galaxy" format mixed with classical music. There was no rhyme, reason, or research to Galaxy's "soft rock heaven," either. It was the Diaz family personal jukebox.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

The use of classical pop music, at least from what I remember, was incidental. Yes, you might hear a Boston Pops-style version of a Beatles or Carpenters tune. But hey, the Boston Pops was popular. And it only happened occasionally. Most hours were all-classical.

It was a greatest hits classical format. Many selections were Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, what the average person would know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12