• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

List of FM frequencies and channel numbers

FMDXONLY

Hello all, done with scanning and want to enjoy FM radio DXing and live streaming. I wore Google and the FCC FM radio webpage out. I am just looking for a frequency by frequency with corresponding channel number chart from 87.9 (200) to 107.9 (300)? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any small or medium size portable FM only receivers on the market? Can't find one that doesn't have AM, SW or weather in it, again thanks for your time. Great site. I could learn a lot here.

Channel numbers have been irrelevant on FM since the 1960s at the latest, other than as part of FM translator callsigns and in the FCC Table of Allocations for some ungodly reason. The last time I heard a full-powered FM station mention its channel number on-air was over 50 years ago.

Thanks for your timely replies gents. Once again Wikipedia saves the day, lol. Enjoy your weekend. Yes football and real beer: Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz. I guess I'm revealing my age.

@ FmDxOnly : I was just in chat (oldies internet station chat) explaining how I enjoy all those great American beers, such as Lowenbrau, Heineken, Grolsch and LaBatt Blue.

Some friends up this way desired an LPFM, during the original window. They applied for 107.9 -- and got the CP. IIrc, they were the only group in the whole of Schuylkill County to've APPLIED, let alone approved. The ID on the CP / license went something like 'W300HQDXSX'. They fired up their transmitter and began testing. Ol' One Ear here volunteered to motor around in his little red Topaz and see where the signal went.
Well, it turns out that there were E-skip conditions that day. Around one critical mountain, their station got devoured by an 'Oldies 108' station for a good half an hour.
'Oldies 108' was WSRZ from Sarasota.
That wasn't a really promising inaugural for their station. But I'll never forget their frequency and their corresponding channel number .... 107.9 = channel 300.

@ FmDxOnly : I was just in chat (oldies internet station chat) explaining how I enjoy all those great American beers, such as Lowenbrau, Heineken, Grolsch and LaBatt Blue.

Don't forget Stella Artois. That American (Miller) version of Lowenbrau was absolutely putrid.

Some friends up this way desired an LPFM, during the original window. They applied for 107.9 -- and got the CP. IIrc, they were the only group in the whole of Schuylkill County to've APPLIED, let alone approved. The ID on the CP / license went something like 'W300HQDXSX'. They fired up their transmitter and began testing. Ol' One Ear here volunteered to motor around in his little red Topaz and see where the signal went.

Well, it turns out that there were E-skip conditions that day. Around one critical mountain, their station got devoured by an 'Oldies 108' station for a good half an hour.
'Oldies 108' was WSRZ from Sarasota.

That wasn't a really promising inaugural for their station. But I'll never forget their frequency and their corresponding channel number .... 107.9 = channel 300.

E-skip going all the way to the top of the FM band is rather unusual, although I have worked stations via E-skip on 2 meter FM. That is extremely rare.

And what the heck kind of callsign is W300HQDXSX? Sounds like the computer that issues translator calls had a meltdown. But shouldn't it have been issued a Wxxx-LP callsign anyway?

@ Keith E 4 :

'Oldies 108' was playing some great songs -- 'Too Late To Turn Back Now' was one -- and had ads for things on 'Highway 41'. I don't know of a Highway 41 in Pennsylvania. And when one ad read 'Bradenton', it all hit me.

When THEY faded away, I got some audio remnants of a Spanish language station on 107.9. Now, I have only meagre FM log sources here, but the most likely station I could find was in Cuba. If so, that day's reception must've gone really into the 3:30 PM blue.

Fwiw, here's their now-defunct LPFM. They'd changed it from 107.9 to 93.5 and ALSO got approved. If I have my facts straight, 93.5 is on 'channel 228'.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WQDD&service=FL&status=L&hours=U

You folks who are much more into FM DX here would know why/if/when such E-Skip conditions went up that far.

Last edited:
The prewar FM band was channelized interestingly:
The megahertz and hundred kilohertz matched the channel numbers.
The band went from 42.1 = ch.21 to 49.9 = ch.99
Coincidentally, European UHF TV channels all start with ch. 21.

For many years, stations on the following twenty channels were only allowed 3KW@300':
221, 224, 228, 232, 237, 240, 244, 249, 252, 257, 261, 265, 269, 272, 276, 280, 285, 288, 292, 296
Then it went to 6KW@300', and then it all changed:

Thanks for your timely replies gents. Once again Wikipedia saves the day, lol. Enjoy your weekend. Yes football and real beer: Ballantine, Rheingold and Schlitz. I guess I'm revealing my age.

Blatz for me please. Milwaukee's #1 seller for the better part of a century. Presumably a sponsor on Milwaukee's first top-40 music FM....Channel 275. Smoother, fresher, less filling, that's clear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom