• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSBB 95.5 can now locate transmitter in midtown

Yesterday, the FCC newspaper/tv/radio crossownership rule went away so Cox's application to move 95.5 transmitter to midtown can be granted by the FCC. The rule has grandfathered WSB, WSB-FM and WSB-TV joint ownership with the AJC newspaper but the additional stations Cox added in Atlanta, WSBB 95.5, WALR 104.1 and WSRV 97.1 could not place a primary signal (60 dBu) over the entire corporate limits of the city of Atlanta where the AJC is published. Now they can. Of the three most recently acquired FMs, only 95.5 can move deep within the city and that change required a FM near Anniston AL to change its signal and a FM at Greenville, GA to move much closer to Columbus, GA. Those changes were made years ago when Cox filed the application to move 95.5 but it sat on hold due to the cross ownership rule. Now the application can be granted and it will give 95.5 100,000 watts from the center of the market with slight signal null toward a FM near Rome, Georgia but for all practical purposes will match the signal of WSB-FM 98.5. This signal improvement will probably finish off what audience is left on 750 AM which filled in the west side of the Atlanta market where 95.5 present transmitter site near Chateau Elan doesn't reach very well. I've been told that's about 20% of the total WSB News Talk audience remains on AM-750.

WALR is stuck where it is due to other spacing factors..in fact it is moving to a shorter tower west of Dallas/east of Carrollton but will remain at 100,000 watts after it lost its present site 100KW due to a overlap with an upgraded 93.3 WVFJ. It does appear WSRV could now move as close as the Jimmy Carter Blvd/I-85 tower site if it reduced power to 50,000 watts. No word on whether Cox plans to make that move which would sctually add population covered by the primary signal in the radio market boundaries. One would surmise that Cox would have already filed for that change as it did with 95.5 and wait for the FCC to change the rule.

The change does sound reasonable, considering that 95.5 WSBB-FM is 600 kHz away from WUBL 94.9 and WWPW 96.1.

In many parts of the world, transmitters in the same vicinity are allowed to transmit 400 kHz (0.4 MHz) apart from each other. For example, in London, the transmitters for 105.8 Absolute Radio and Magic 105.4 are 2-3 km apart from each other while transmitting on FM 0.4 MHz apart from each other. But it's kind of weird that for the longest time, transmitters in the same vicinity are allowed to transmit 800 kHz (0.8 MHz) apart from each other in the US, although low-power, Class D translators can transmit 400 kHz (0.4 MHz) apart from a frequency occupied by a full-power station within the vicinity of the Class D translator.

The change does sound reasonable, considering that 95.5 WSBB-FM is 600 kHz away from WUBL 94.9 and WWPW 96.1.

In many parts of the world, transmitters in the same vicinity are allowed to transmit 400 kHz (0.4 MHz) apart from each other. For example, in London, the transmitters for 105.8 Absolute Radio and Magic 105.4 are 2-3 km apart from each other while transmitting on FM 0.4 MHz apart from each other. But it's kind of weird that for the longest time, transmitters in the same vicinity are allowed to transmit 800 kHz (0.8 MHz) apart from each other in the US, although low-power, Class D translators can transmit 400 kHz (0.4 MHz) apart from a frequency occupied by a full-power station within the vicinity of the Class D translator.

Since 94.9, 96.1 and 95.5 were all licensed prior to FM mileage spacing rules took effect in 1964, those stations can ignore each other's facilities with technical changes. These are known as pre-64 FMs and frankly any FM which went on the air prior to 1964 is an "old" FM station unlike AM which isn't considered an "old" station unless it went on in the 1940s and prior.

106.7 at Gainesville (originally WDUN-FM) and 106.1 at Toccoa (originally WLET-FM) were also grandfathered thus how WNGC on 106.1(WLET-FM) was able to move their transmitter site to Lula, northeast of Gainesville....it also explains how the 96.7 which began as WCOH-FM in Newnan is grandfathered to 96.1 in Atlanta and explains how 96.7 was able to move northward from Newnan. WALR and WSRV do not have grandfathered spacing status so they are confined by present day FM spacing rules.

Since 94.9, 96.1 and 95.5 were all licensed prior to FM mileage spacing rules took effect in 1964, those stations can ignore each other's facilities with technical changes. These are known as pre-64 FMs and frankly any FM which went on the air prior to 1964 is an "old" FM station unlike AM which isn't considered an "old" station unless it went on in the 1940s and prior.

106.7 at Gainesville (originally WDUN-FM) and 106.1 at Toccoa (originally WLET-FM) were also grandfathered thus how WNGC on 106.1(WLET-FM) was able to move their transmitter site to Lula, northeast of Gainesville....it also explains how the 96.7 which began as WCOH-FM in Newnan is grandfathered to 96.1 in Atlanta and explains how 96.7 was able to move northward from Newnan. WALR and WSRV do not have grandfathered spacing status so they are confined by present day FM spacing rules.

Rules aside, do you feel 94.9, 95.5 and 96.1 all broadcasting from in town will be free of interference from each other?

Rules aside, do you feel 94.9, 95.5 and 96.1 all broadcasting from in town will be free of interference from each other?

I thought the FCC was thinking about doing away with the third-adjacent rule altogether.

I thought the FCC was thinking about doing away with the third-adjacent rule altogether.

I know WSBB and WSRV get eaten up in town the closer you get to the WWPW and WUBL towers on Briarcliff. Will the power increase help this? I too am curious if the 3 will interfere with each other.

I know WSBB and WSRV get eaten up in town the closer you get to the WWPW and WUBL towers on Briarcliff. Will the power increase help this? I too am curious if the 3 will interfere with each other.

IMHO it depends on the age and quality of the receiver. With a lot of “old” radios out there could be an issue. The “average” car radio is 11.5 years old.* If you are within a couple of Kilometers of any tower, your radio’s tuning stage “front in” could overpowered with too much RF if you are tuned another station on a close frequency or a distant signal. One would think beam tilt, dual or circular polarization could come into play. It has been my experience that the higher the antenna the less issues there are. I have worked a couple of class A’s with onsite towers less than 200 feet that really raised “H E double hockey sticks” with the car radio when you drove up. My personal experiences is most stations on 700 ft.+ rural towers seem to “overshoot” most of the RF for a couple of miles, and the atmosphere dissipation stops really bad interference. These stations were on "narrow" tuned antenna. The broad band "community" antenna are different. I forget the old rule of thumb for power dissipation. Was 50% per meter? Here is a US Government’s old paper on the subject. (read section 3)**

Back in the pre HD days when several Atlanta FM’s were on the old “Candelabra” my radio “had no issues” parking at the TV studios at the base. I wonder if HD radios being designed to ignoring a strong RF signal were close might do better in a bad RF area?

* https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/28/car...es-for-longer-which-is-both-good-and-bad.html
** http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/63D/jresv63Dn1p53_A1b.pdf

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom