• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

More format changes, this time at 1090 AM Seattle and 850 AM Tacoma

XEPRS is always pegging the S-meter at night. KFNQ is usually under them, with KBOZ MT and KMXA CO making appearances at times. Haven't heard KAAY Little Rock yet, even though it's mostly religious brokered stuff I'd like to confirm them one of these days.
Back to our topic...

I'm glad KJR is keeping their calls -- according to the posts here they are advertising as 1090 KJR.

Unless it's just a logo.

KFNQ is just using the KJR 'branding', like KTCT uses the KNBR branding down in San Francisco.

I'm glad KJR is keeping their calls -- according to the posts here they are advertising as 1090 KJR.

Unless it's just a logo.

It's just a logo. KJR is on 950. There are several places in this country where a popular local brand is extended to another station. In the PPM world, it doesn't really matter that much. edit: Sorry for the overkill; I forgot to read the last page before posting.

It's just a logo. KJR is on 950. There are several places in this country where a popular local brand is extended to another station. In the PPM world, it doesn't really matter that much. edit: Sorry for the overkill; I forgot to read the last page before posting.

Of course the irony is KJR-AM and KING-AM competed fiercely in the 70's as competing top40's. But few remember that in today's media world. I do, and I find it ironic that 1090 is now branded as "KJR". But times change for sure.

50,000 watts at 1090. That is all I have to say.

It's a rather lousy signal for a 50kW. It's also a class B. When I was growing up in the '80s, KVI's 5kW, came in clearer that KING @1090...dial position has something to do with it also.

Of course the irony is KJR-AM and KING-AM competed fiercely in the 70's as competing top40's. But few remember that in today's media world. I do, and I find it ironic that 1090 is now branded as "KJR". But times change for sure.

That is an irony, but we all know that AM is in rapid decline, and if branding a frequency of a sister station with a successful in house brand makes the station successful too, so be it. (Some promotion for 1090 "KJR" would be helpful too, but knowing iHM, highly doubtful.)

There are ironies all over this industry. For instance, the first part of CBS pulling out of Portland was selling KXJM and KLTH to iHeart Media, well back then it was Clear Chanel. Now ironically, with the exception of 94.1, those two Portland stations are sisters with the former CBS Seattle stations. Ironically as well, the rest of the Portland CBS stations now owned by Alpha, are sisters to those in San Antonio and West Palm Beach, after being apart for a few years. Also, when Clear Channel sold all of its Pacific Northwest stations outside of Seattle, Portland and Spokane, they sold most of them to Gap, which was eventually murged into Townsquare, with the exception of Boise, which was sold to Peak. Peak would be murged into Townsquare in 2013. Peak in itself is an irony, as the other cluster they had in Frezno came from CBS. From what I heard, those stations were originally going to be sold to Citadel, but Citadel backed out. Citadel was eventually bought by Cumulus in 2011, and the Peak Frezno stations were sold to Cumulus in 2013. I find it kind of ironic that Cumulus would have ended up with those stations regardless of what happened.

I like the changes iHeart made to the 1090 line up. I liked Jim Rome's bumber music, but his bits were becoming too much, bumber and bits. Would rather listen to Doug Gottlieb any time. The Herd I like what I herd. Glad they are keeping Ferrell at night, got to love that voice. Like the national sports view. When I want a local view I know where to go.

As far as the signal, yes it has a null towards a big retirement home in Des moines and federal way. But it gets out very well to north Seattle and other areas. True higher band signals don't travel as far as lower band signals. Yes Vashon has a Clay streak in it, but its still the prefered location for 50KW stations. 1090 has a better signal than 850, even with a null towards Des Moines it still covers more that 850.

As far as the KJR branding, I'm really not hearing it on the air yet. Maybe it's more of a sales move in marketing to advertisers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom