• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Auction 100 applications for Alabama

There are far too many translator applications filed with the FCC (873 and counting) to really go in depth with each one here, but I wanted to start a catch-all thread for the ones in Alabama that might fall outside of any of the sub-groups for major cities.

Radio Insight has the full list with some details.

A couple of these applications stand out for their bold stance in the face of reality. Namely the ones for WKDG in Sumiton and for WCOX in Camden.

As many of your know, neither of these stations has been on the air in a long time. WKDG was allegedly on as recently as early 2017 according to FCC records, relaying a Birmingham web streamed gospel format called "Kingdom Radio Network". But that is almost certainly fake news, as the station's tower is no longer standing, and appears to have been removed as far back as late 2015.

Not to be outdone, Dr. Craig of "I'll put my antenna where I want and run as much power as I want" WYVC fame has applied for one for WCOX. It was dismissed on a technicality, which kind of glosses over the fact that WCOX has not had a tower or a signal or a station for probably... 10 years now?

If not for the oopsie with the forms filed, I have no doubt the idjits at the FCC would have granted a translator to WCOX just as they renewed its license without bothering to check that there was, you know, a transmitter or tower or power or anything. I'm 99% sure the idjits at the FCC WILL grant WKDG a translator because reasons.

IMHO, Cumulus would be better saving the money they are about to spend on translators, to pay down their debts. Though it's finally great to see them putting their Montgomery Am's on a translator, Sportsradio 740 on an FM translator will be a huge bonus for the montgomery biscuits baseball.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom