• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSTE at 107.9

Haw! News to me.. thanks. Considering that I will be the one building it....

dave

It's only a temporary translator at 250 watts on the KSEG tower. How temporary will depend on how long it takes for the FCC to auction the 50,000 watt license. I hope it does get approved even if I don't much care for most of the syndicated talk on the station.

At least something will be on the frequency eliminating the painful reminder of Sue Wilson's misguided approach to making Entercom pay for the 2007 tragedy. People supporting the Media Action Center need to understand the following:

1. The KDND format still exists.
2. The monitory penalty in surrendering the license is greater than paying a huge fine. In fact, with the merger Entercom's merger went thorugh CBS awith less competitor in the market.
3. Entercom probably wouldn't have kept KSFM or would have dumped another station to the trust, like 106.5.
4. Sacramento listeners are now without a 50,000 watt signal and who knows how long it will take for the FCC to take action on the vacant channel. Hardly a public interest win.

Correction

At least something will be on the frequency eliminating the painful reminder of Sue Wilson's misguided approach to making Entercom pay for the 2007 tragedy. People supporting the Media Action Center need to understand the following:

1. The KDND format still exists.
2. The monitory penalty in surrendering the license is LESS than paying a huge fine. In fact, with the merger Entercom's merger with CBS went through with less one less competitor in the market.
3. Entercom probably wouldn't have kept KSFM or would have dumped another station to the trust, like 106.5.
4. Sacramento listeners are now without a 50,000 watt signal and who knows how long it will take for the FCC to take action on the vacant channel. Hardly a public interest win.

Would iHeartMedia want 107.9 as a full Power station?

But I don't know if iHeartMedia will get it

I'm willing to bet there will be a lot of interest for the a 50kW signal on 107.9. I'm expecting a lot of interest from iHeart AND EMF.

So Sacramento gets a piddly translator in trade of a full class-B signal. That’s progress! 🙄

Yes and no. You're correct, it's progress but as I'm sure you know (from reading your other posts) only temporary.

I'm more curious if iHeart makes a play at trying to get that license and then sell off 93.1 which I know it's bad but not great for BK. As a listener, I would love BK on 107.9 (class B) and KSTE on 93.1. Could it happen JammerDave?

Sacto radio is boring so we might as well spice up this thread a bit. :)

Yes and no. You're correct, it's progress but as I'm sure you know (from reading your other posts) only temporary.

I'm more curious if iHeart makes a play at trying to get that license and then sell off 93.1 which I know it's bad but not great for BK. As a listener, I would love BK on 107.9 (class B) and KSTE on 93.1. Could it happen JammerDave?

Sacto radio is boring so we might as well spice up this thread a bit. :)

Putting KSTE (a second tier Talk station) on a full market FM signal like 93.1 would be a waste of a signal in my opinion.
Sacramento needs another AC station and certainly can lose a Country station. Having both 101.9 and 92.5 compete with 105.1 with those low ratings makes no sense.

Name one large market where that happens. Saying that Iheart needs Country in Sacramento is silly. It's a local decision pure and simple.

Who knows.. Sounds reasonable to me... I don't make those sort of decisions though. 93.1 is a PITA for me, just too far out in the sticks. Nice site and area though.. (Grizzly Flats/Sommerset)

Thanks for the reply, Stewie! Nothing would be more pleasing then to see 107.9 back on as a full class-B commercial operation ASAP in the iHeart Stable.
I’ve been up by the 93.1/92.1 site. It appears to be on the back of a residential property. Guess it’s good they know they are being paid a visit at some late hour - I understand snake shot can be painful. 😉.
Jammer Dave, I feel for you trekking up there in the midst of a winter storm on California’s famously untreated roads to untrip a breaker or more involving matter.
That site has certainly been better for 92.1 than 93.1 with that downtown Sacramento 93.3 LPFM signal.

I think 93.1 is actually a good stick for KFBK. It's a rimshot FM but in mono and at that height it probably has a larger overall coverage area for in-car listening than 107.9 would.

Totally agree on another AC for this market. Look at what iHeart is doing in ratings with 93.7 - chipping away at 98.5 and 96.9. They could flip 92.5 to a soft AC (think KISQ) and get a piece of KYMX's share. The country format is overdone in this market and I believe 92.5 could do much better as a soft AC.

I've stopped holding my breath for Sacramento to ever get another Triple A.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom