• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Attack of the translators in Mobile.

G

Groove1670

Too many on the way to mention. Many new listener choices on the way.

But... but... everyone says translators won't work in Mobile!

I'm expecting WZEW's two translators to show up sooner or later (92.5 and 96.5), but who knows about what else is out there. Eternity Media filed for translators for both 1220 and 1480, but the one for 1480 was dismissed because they did not file properly. (I don't know the full story here, but I get the impression that the previous engineer didn't really know what he was doing, and the newer guy is trying to clean up the mess.)

iHeart, Cumulus and Buddy Tucker have all filed for 95.7 but only one will be able to win the auction if they don't come up with a solution. So either WMOB, WGOK or WNTM might wind up here. Cumulus and the people who run the Catholic station on 1410 are applying for 94.5 for WXQW and WNGL, respectively. These are going to be tied up for a while, I bet.

Eternity Media's application for 101.9 for WABF was accepted and is a singleton, so it has a leg up on everyone else. And of course WJNZ has applied for 107.7 from one of the tall towers in Baldwin County, although it won't have a huge coverage area as it stands.

Although I'm way too far out, I'm excited to see if ZEW does something unique with their translators, or just puts their two online-only formats on air as permanent programs. It'd be cool to have a full time blues station on FM in Mobile, but all local music? Might be a difficult sell.

And of course an FM signal in Fairhope for WABF can't come soon enough. Hell, the AM has spent more time off air than on air from what I've observed. They need it.

Meanwhile, across the state line in Florida, only Cumulus' WCOA applied for a translator. That implies 1490 WTKE in Milton is DOA.
I believe all other AM stations in Central Time Zone Florida have companion translators or applications now.

I'm expecting WZEW's two translators to show up sooner or later (92.5 and 96.5), but who knows about what else is out there. Eternity Media filed for translators for both 1220 and 1480, but the one for 1480 was dismissed because they did not file properly. (I don't know the full story here, but I get the impression that the previous engineer didn't really know what he was doing, and the newer guy is trying to clean up the mess.)

iHeart, Cumulus and Buddy Tucker have all filed for 95.7 but only one will be able to win the auction if they don't come up with a solution. So either WMOB, WGOK or WNTM might wind up here. Cumulus and the people who run the Catholic station on 1410 are applying for 94.5 for WXQW and WNGL, respectively. These are going to be tied up for a while, I bet.

Eternity Media's application for 101.9 for WABF was accepted and is a singleton, so it has a leg up on everyone else. And of course WJNZ has applied for 107.7 from one of the tall towers in Baldwin County, although it won't have a huge coverage area as it stands.

Although I'm way too far out, I'm excited to see if ZEW does something unique with their translators, or just puts their two online-only formats on air as permanent programs. It'd be cool to have a full time blues station on FM in Mobile, but all local music? Might be a difficult sell.

And of course an FM signal in Fairhope for WABF can't come soon enough. Hell, the AM has spent more time off air than on air from what I've observed. They need it.

It depends of the frequency of the translator. For example 103.3 and 97.9 have good coverage. 100.3 not so much. Some will serve the Eastern Shore others the Mobile Metro. Going to be interesting.

Buddy Tucker also has an app for an FM translator at 96.7 in Bay Minette, to rebroadcast WTOF. If WMOB doesn't get 95.7 but is issued a CP for the Bay Minette translator. WMOB's programming would be heard on 96.7 since WMOB and WTOF currently simulcast.

https://fccdata.org/?facid=200985

With WHEX-LP's CP for 104.7 expiring I assume that opens a good frequency for one of the duplicate channel apps to move?

It depends of the frequency of the translator. For example 103.3 and 97.9 have good coverage. 100.3 not so much. Some will serve the Eastern Shore others the Mobile Metro. Going to be interesting.

Aren't WASG 540/W291CY 106.1 and WIJD 1270/W250CB 97.9 still officially/unofficially for sale by Wilkins Radio?

As I understand, not only are WASG and WIJD in Mobile for sale but WNVY and WVTJ Pensacola are also for sale. Now that all 4 stations have translators... maybe a buyer will appear. Buying one Mobile and one Pensacola station seems like it would be an attractive purchase for a network like WAY-FM.

Could WAY-FM make inroads here with all the competition for Christian ears? Goforth and K-Love are in Mobile, along with Buddy Tucker. In Pensacola WOW 90.9 has the AM/translator thing going, and of course K-Love has their Gulf Breeze signal, not to mention WPCS, although I don't know if it would really be competition or not.

I know up in Birmingham, the airwaves are positively saturated with Christian programming, from Briarwood Christian's station to Crawford's many offerings, to Family Radio, and now K-Love and WAY-FM are heard there. Oh and Revocation Radio on the east and west side of town. Then there's a handful of LPFMs, and I am sure I'm still forgetting someone else. So maybe that is a market that's ripe for growth here, too.

Then again, if the price that Wilkins is asking for WASG applies to WIJD, WNVY and WVTJ, too, they will won't be moved any time soon. It was kind of outrageous, even with a good translator.

Eternity Media's app for 101.9 was dismissed. Something I didn't notice early on is the initial application had coordinates of 30 43' 11.0" N 30 43' 11.7" W which put it smack el dab-o in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Oops.

That dovetails nicely with the app for WQNO in New Orleans that was 40 miles off the coast of Louisiana that I saw the other day.

I figured stuff like this would be an automatic kick-out by the FCC, but it was explained to me that these are basically placeholders staking a claim in the auction, and can be easily amended to a proper location if they're not MX'd. But still, the thought of someone building a translator on an oil rig in the Gulf had me giggling a bit.

Do any of the Mobile AMs have signals that would benefit from using the "25 mile rule" and use their new translator to expand coverage?
Could WJNZ put their translator in Mobile? Or possibly Gulf Shores or Pensacola?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom