• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question about the FCC website

When I am doing searches on fcc.gov my McAfee antivirus software will often pop-up a notice that says "Only secure content is displayed".

What sort of unsecure content could possibly be residing on fcc.gov?

McAfee is probably talking about HTTPS. This is what is known as "mixed content" in the web development business, and is considered bad form. For example, on this query page for WFAN-FM, the FCC logo is being retrieved over a non-secured connection: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/corrp_list.pl?Facility_id=67846

What that effectively means is that your office IT guy could look at the logs from the servers he maintains and see that you viewed the FCC logo. He could theoretically replace the FCC logo with the Discovery Channel logo if he was wanting to prank you. But it's a little more complicated when dealing with scripting, where the IT guy could theoretically replace a script served from FCC.gov with one masquerading. Probably not a concern that your office IT would mess with FCC.gov, but it could be a concern with actual sensitive web sites like TurboTax, which could theoretically be used to steal your tax info if it was being served in an unsecure fashion.

Gotcha. I get it all the time on commercial websites, where I presumed it was related to the ad feeds.
FCC.gov is a pretty bare-bones site and I could not see anything there which was an obvious suspect. Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom