• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How strong was Dan Armstrong at KOY

H

Hot Hits

Dan passed in 2010 from arm cancer (kind of ironic) and I had the chance to work with him in Hollywood at a Radio Network. Dan was OK, always sounded really stiff and announcer like. He told me of his absolute hatred of Charlie Van Dyke who replaced him a couple times at KOY. I've never heard anyone say anything negative of Charlie, sure he might not have been the best D.J. but he is among the most talented people in the business. Was Armstrong a great programmer and jock in Phoenix?

Dan passed in 2010 from arm cancer (kind of ironic) and I had the chance to work with him in Hollywood at a Radio Network. Dan was OK, always sounded really stiff and announcer like. He told me of his absolute hatred of Charlie Van Dyke who replaced him a couple times at KOY. I've never heard anyone say anything negative of Charlie, sure he might not have been the best D.J. but he is among the most talented people in the business. Was Armstrong a great programmer and jock in Phoenix?

Dan was okay on air. I'd agree with your assessment---stiff and announcer-like. The only person I know who had a bad thing to say about Charlie Van Dyke was a close friend of Armstrong's. She's been dead about 25 years.

Was this the same Dan Armstrong who was with AM Only back in the 1990s, along with Chick Watkins, Ed Brand and Jeff Rollins?

From 1988 to 1992, I was PD of a Music of Your Life affiliate here in Erie, PA. In 1992, after local management changes, a station manager, who lasted for less than a year, decided to make the MOYL affiliate an AM Only affiliate instead. I remember sending localized liners to all of the on air personalities.

Chick Watkins was a hoot to work with. Funny guy, great sound, retired and still around today. One of his greatest off air bits, he would ask selected people, "do you like Coffee", and then say "look what it did to me" and rip his Hair Piece off. I had him play Tom Clay's version of 'What the World Needs Now' on AM Only and the complaints came in for days

Chick was the former PD of Cleveland powerhouse 1220 WGAR until the early 1980s I believe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom