• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTAN - Legal ID Not Legal?

wlsl

Regular Participant
Just heard at the top of the hour the ID for WTAN and then they identified as FM106 not W291CW. :confused:

I believe that it's perfectly legal. FM106 is a WTAN translator ... it is not a radio station.

Translators are not held to the same ID standard as a full fledged radio station. As I recall, a translator must do a legal ID 3 times a day and there is a provision where doing it in morse code is permitted.

You are correct b-turner.

https://jux.law/broadcaster-legal-id-laws/

Translators must be identified three times daily during their hours of operation. The three times daily it must be identified are: (1) between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m., again between 12:55 p.m. and 1:05 p.m., and finally between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Especially this one, since CW is the abreviation for Morse code.

I'd think that a Morse code ID on an FM transmitter would be an audio tone, not CW.

Especially this one, since CW is the abreviation for Morse code.

It's code, not CW. "CW" is "continuous wave" where code is transmitted by alternating the carrier on and off with tone modulation. AM stations do not cut carrier between dits and dots.

Translators can use Frequency Shift Keying (FSK) to identify the station in Morse Code. You would not hear this id on the air.

74.1283(c)(2) By transmitting the call sign in International Morse Code at least once each hour. Transmitters of FM broadcast translator stations of more than 1 watt transmitter output power must be equipped with an automatic keying device that will transmit the call sign at least once each hour, unless there is in effect a firm agreement with the translator's primary station as provided in §74.1283(c)(1) of this section. Transmission of the call sign can be accomplished by:

(i) Frequency shifting key; the carrier shift shall not be less than 5 kHz nor greater than 25 kHz.

(ii) Amplitude modulation of the FM carrier of at least 30 percent modulation. The audio frequency tone use shall not be within 200 hertz of the Emergency Broadcast System Attention signal alerting frequencies.

Either (i) or (ii) is legal. Most stations use FSK which shifts the frequency of the station to identify in Morse Code. This is inaudible on air, but can be detected by the FCC.

Last edited:
I'd think that a Morse code ID on an FM transmitter would be an audio tone, not CW.
What does one call an A2 emission;
AM tone modulated code?
It has always been used to ID beacons.

What does one call an A2 emission;
AM tone modulated code?
It has always been used to ID beacons.

Yes, but that's not CW, which is on/off keying of a carrier (or an audio tone modulating an SSB transmitter).

Yes, but that's not CW, which is on/off keying of a carrier (or an audio tone modulating an SSB transmitter).

That's why you need a receiver with a BFO (beat frequency oscillator) to receive CW clearly. Without the addition of a carrier, the dits and dashes sound like buzzing/humming.

That's why you need a receiver with a BFO (beat frequency oscillator) to receive CW clearly. Without the addition of a carrier, the dits and dashes sound like buzzing/humming.

But that's not what we're talking about here. An FM translator will not be ID'ing this way. But if it's using FSK, I would think that the minimum 5 kHz shift would be preferable, to minimize disruption of the FM sound.

Why is WTSP's ID legal?

WTSP id

Why is WTSP's ID legal?

Its not. It should be "WTSP St. Petersburg, Tampa" because the City of License is St. Petersburg. I'm told the News Director insists Tampa come first. WTSP has been violating the law for years.

Its not. It should be "WTSP St. Petersburg, Tampa" because the City of License is St. Petersburg. I'm told the News Director insists Tampa come first. WTSP has been violating the law for years.

KPNX Phoenix (COL Mesa) AZ IDed as Phoenix/Mesa for 50 years, not fixing it until the analog was shut off in 2009. Now it IDs correctly as Mesa/Phoenix.

Thanks Frank.

Every hour, on and throughout the hour, you can hear:
"WSLR-LP, 96.5, Sarasota and WBPV-LP, 100.1, Bradenton"
Maybe two of those previously unnamed islands
in the bay incorporated themselves as
"96.5 Sarasota" and "100.1 Bradenton".
Yeah, that would do it, why not?

The City of License does not have to be the same as the transmitter location, as long as the COL receives a certain signal level it's legal.

The City of License does not have to be the same as the transmitter location,
as long as the COL receives a certain signal level it's legal.
Correct, for full power stations.
WKIS barely places 70dbu across the farthest edge of their COL,
and only when considering ground anomalies; they miss the northeastern corner on normal maps.
LPFM's do not even have to do that.
WLJM-LP's 60 dbu does not quite touch their COL and WJEW-LP's comes nowhere near theirs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom