• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KJOJ-FM

They have gotten a new construction permit,

Question is!! Why? They had that permit before and didn’t do anything. Why would they apply again? Are they really going to do it this time?

They have gotten a new construction permit,

Question is!! Why? They had that permit before and didn’t do anything. Why would they apply again? Are they really going to do it this time?

They probably will. LBI is in better financial shape now, having gotten some benefits from the spectrum auction and with the expansion of Estrella TV.

Previously they were very cash strapped and likely did not have the cash for the upgrade.

Big question is is it worth it?? I am a former asst CE for KJOJ and the site is horrible...when Bill Cordell built it, it was a tight squeeze with 102.9..the site is 1 mile from the Gulf of Mexico..has to be elevated 20ft! Going from 1000 to 2000ft won't gain much into Houston..and the cost will be more than 5MIL...LBI sold all their tall towers a while back and lease them back...so why build this? No decent ROI..

Is the new CP site the same as the old one? Radio-Locator had it further inland.

Perhaps they would move La Ranchera to 103.3 and sell off 101.7 to help pay for the upgrade.

Wonder if this could force a frequency change for the KNTH translator on 103.3? Perhaps not, given the FCC's tolerance for signal overlap these days.

Wonder if this could force a frequency change for the KNTH translator on 103.3? Perhaps not, given the FCC's tolerance for signal overlap these days.
Probably will since interference will be too much. I can't imagine a conservative talk listener putting up with something called "La Raza" during their commute.

Wonder if this could force a frequency change for the KNTH translator on 103.3?
I wondered why KNTH placed the 103.3 FM translator in Spring, seems like it should have been north in The Woodlands to help support the weak AM night signal, but maybe there were other considerations. As is, the FM translator is only a few miles from the AM tower, so the FM is covering area already fully supported by the AM. I'll bet our friend Chuck Tiller has the scoop . . .

An upgraded KJOJ would also be bad news for KZCV-LP in Baytown, which moved to 103.3 after The La Calle translator ran them off of 92.5.

I wondered why KNTH placed the 103.3 FM translator in Spring, seems like it should have been north in The Woodlands to help support the weak AM night signal, but maybe there were other considerations. As is, the FM translator is only a few miles from the AM tower, so the FM is covering area already fully supported by the AM. I'll bet our friend Chuck Tiller has the scoop . . .

It is my understanding that we could not go further north than our AM transmitter location. Of course, one has to consider that the translator doesn't have to pay any rent as the bays hang off of tower #5. It does cover some areas we cannot get into at night but very few. What we should have done is to buy KJOJ and make it KNTH-FM and simulcast. That would take care of that serious signal deficit we have on the west side. AM1070 cannot expand west for all the same reasons I've mentioned many times before in this forum. KTEK, unlike KNTH, needs a translator because it's a daytimer. However, it too, cannot cover very much. It's good in Alvin, Pearland and Santa Fe, though.

A translator cannot have it's 60dbu contour extend beyond the daytime contour of the AM parent...KNTH daytime pattern would be the deciding factor in placement and coverage..

A translator cannot have it's 60dbu contour extend beyond the daytime contour of the AM parent...KNTH daytime pattern would be the deciding factor in placement and coverage..

The rules were revised last year: the translator's 60 dBu cannot extend past the primary AM station's 2 mV/m signal or a 25 mile radius from the AM site, whichever is greater.

By that rationale, KNTH could have a translator in College Station, or Livingston.

Thanks for clearing that up, CW.

Conceivably, the KNTH translator could be in the northern Woodlands to Conroe area (https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KNTH-AM&h=D) which would be a much more valuable night-time asset compared to the current FM 1960 location. Then, the "only problem" would be money to pay for the mounting location expenses. Perhaps adding night-time listeners, even Woodlands high-rent types, isn't worth the effort.

By that rationale, KNTH could have a translator in College Station, or Livingston.

Thanks for clearing that up, CW.

But the restriction is good only up to the 2 mV/m contour of the AM.

http://recnet.com/translator

"Under the old rules, the translator service contour was required to remain within the 2 mV/m daytime contour of the AM station and in no case shall extend more than 25 miles from the AM station. Under the newly approved rules, the service contour of the FM station may now extend to any place that is within the 2 mV/m contour of the AM station or 25 miles out in a particular direction, whichever is more.

This is fantastic news for Class C AM stations which have very limited 2 mV/m contours. Even if the station's 2 mV/m contour only extends about 12 miles out, you will be able to locate a translator at any point as long as the edge of the service contour remains within 25 miles of the AM station. "

I said daytime and meant it's 2mV daytime contour..most of us in bdcst usually assume the 2mv in day time, not how far it covers period..sorry for any confusion..and yes the 25 mile rule is also there..whichever is greater

I said daytime and meant it's 2mV daytime contour..most of us in bdcst usually assume the 2mv in day time, not how far it covers period..sorry for any confusion..and yes the 25 mile rule is also there..whichever is greater

But here in the real world (with due credit to Alan Jackson), 2 mV/m is a useless contour. Even the ITU, a number of years ago, declared in a 2011 "Recommendation" that 10 mV/m was the minimum signal required to serve an urban population in towns of 20,000 persons or more. Of course, today even that field strength is questionable given the constant increase in man-made noise from Wally Wart and his friends.

I'm hearing KJOJ here in Port Lavaca a lot better than in years prior.

I would put it right up there with KXBJ and KNTE.
Probably due to the summer weather. Two weeks ago, Corpus Christi stations were coming in loud and clear in Spring for three nights in a row.

It's coming into Port Lavaca with consistency, just like KXBJ and KNTE.

I bet one of those Corpus Christi stations you picked up was Big 93-9.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom