• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

wlbe?

Gunsmoke

Banned
when did they flip from classic, "oh wow" oldies to real country. I used to enjoy them on the net as late as December, I tried them today and now they are country, what prompted this change, you could call the live on-air jocks anytime and get your request played. It was a nice old time AM station.

when did they flip from classic, "oh wow" oldies to real country. I used to enjoy them on the net as late as December, I tried them today and now they are country, what prompted this change, you could call the live on-air jocks anytime and get your request played. It was a nice old time AM station.

If memory serves, they flipped around the week of 12/15/17. Certainly a new direction for the station.

I had actually suggested Classic Country back a few years ago when someone asked what format the station should switch to; can't recall the thread but something like that. (At the time, seemed it would have made sense, no one else in the area had an outlet for same, and WVLG has/is still doing fine with their format.) 1170 WKFL I read, has gone silent, and that would have been the "other" signal that would have same format closeby.

As for what really prompted the change, not sure. For the area though, AM country format on decent 5Kw signal...I guess it's not really a bad choice. When I used to live up there, it was always good to turn on 790 for a little bit. Hard to tell down here from Tampa though.

Byron

Both 640 WVLG and 790 WLBE have filed for FM translators. Be a great addition to their service area and give them options in sales/programming here before might yield far less results being AM only. My experience with good signal AM stations which add a FM signal is you still have about 20% of the total audience left on AM and in the case of translators, even in sandy soiled central Florida, the AM signals below 1000 on the AM dial will carry further when locals drive out of town and want to check in on the local station. The exception to this example is if the translator was able to get up to around 1000 ft at 250 watts (almost equivalent to a full facility Class A FM (6KW at 330 feet)
but those days are long over in central Florida.

The exception to this example is if the translator was able to get up to around 1000 ft at 250 watts (almost equivalent to a full facility Class A FM (6KW at 330 feet)
but those days are long over in central Florida.[/QUOTE]

Why are those days over?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom