• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alt 104.3???

A poster board on the RI boards claimed that this station was bringing in 3% of market revenue. If that’s true, then this station while not a huge success is definitely doing better than expected. David, how is their billing?

A poster board on the RI boards claimed that this station was bringing in 3% of market revenue. If that’s true, then this station while not a huge success is definitely doing better than expected. David, how is their billing?

If the station had 3% of market revenue, it would be up there with WFLC and WMIB, both of which have 25-54 share between a 4 and a 5. WSFS has a 3 share in 25-54, and rock is not as easy a sell in Miami as it might be in other markets. I only have the 2016 numbers that I can discuss as the MK data is confidential.

I'm guessing that Entercom likes the exclusive format and believes they can grow it to perhaps a 4 share in 25-54, which could take it to around 10th in billing without a lot of high cost talent and promotions. But that is just my speculation with zero knowledge of what Entercom sees as a market strategy.

There is a large unserved audience out there. Those who have seen my posts in the past know what I'm talking about. It's not a pretty demographic and it would be a tough sell but so was selling a country format to banks, even for a number 1 rated country station in a southern market, but they did it because the station had people who sold and not agency order takers. It's time for radio to break out of the box it has put itself in and do something unique.

The numbers seem to be picking up. You would think that every major market would be able to support 1 modern rock choice. The problem is that even when Alternative stations do well, collectivists who push the money with these buys don't like the format(the listeners?). It is amazing that in Philly a modern rock station was top 5 in all the adult demos and still was the lowest billing full market signal.
I like the shark name for Miami, heck for a gold based soft ac and the dinosaur talk stations on am, you could even use the name "The Shart". "The station you can depend on when you have your depends on".

The numbers seem to be picking up.

Huh? Looking at 18-49, in May, June and July of last year, the station was 13th or 14th for each month, while now it just rang up a 15th place showing.

If anything, it looks like the numbers are coming in with a range of 13th at the top to 18th at the bottom, over a share range of 3.1 to 3.9. That's basically a +/- 0.4 share above or below the median number, and a 0.4 is well within the margin of error or "wobble" in that market.

You would think that every major market would be able to support 1 modern rock choice. The problem is that even when Alternative stations do well, collectivists who push the money with these buys don't like the format(the listeners?).

"Collectivists" don't make time buys. In major markets, time buyers do, based on strict demographic specifications from their clients. What we are looking at is the same issue that affected Howard Stern's syndication: many accounts did not want to be in that particular environment so we got lots of local pawn shop and bailbonds ads.

The same phenomenon affected country in many larger markets if we look back to the 80's or thereabouts. It was, perceptually, a hard sell. Gradually, the perception was overcome. With Entercom and iHeart pushing the format in many new markets, it's likely that any of that kind of negative will wear off; KROQ and KYSR in LA have no trouble racking up huge sales numbers. But the stations that are new to alternative will still need to get numbers that fit the specifications of agency buys and they will need to rank high enough to even meet the depth of the buy.

It is amazing that in Philly a modern rock station was top 5 in all the adult demos and still was the lowest billing full market signal.

The demos had a big adult male bubble that was very young. An agency buying males would buy WIP-FM and WPEN-FM first, as they deliver males more efficiently and a cross a broader age spectrum.

I like the shark name for Miami, heck for a gold based soft ac and the dinosaur talk stations on am, you could even use the name "The Shart". "The station you can depend on when you have your depends on".

Let's, please, tone down the vulgarity. That's disgusting and inappropriate.

The Morning Mess just got messier. Toast is no longer toasting on The Shark. Could this be the beginning of the end ?

Update: Toast is resurfacing (popping up?) on Big with Paul Castronovo after he sits out his 6 month non-compete. It's great that he was able to land another gig and get back together with that show and I think adding him will be a great improvement.

Update: Toast is resurfacing (popping up?) on Big with Paul Castronovo after he sits out his 6 month non-compete. It's great that he was able to land another gig and get back together with that show and I think adding him will be a great improvement.

Interesting. Seems changes are afoot at the Paul Castronovo show. Diaz seems to be gone, Sharp-Dressed John seems to have been missing in action periodically (maybe Toast will be the new sports guy, I remember he did sports on the Paul and Young Ron show). Or will Toast maybe replace Rob the Producer? At least Ghia and Heather seem to be staying, and they got a new girl (Jillian) to replace Anna Missy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom