• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Alt 104.3???

radiolife3

Regular Participant
How much longer until they re-brand and drop "The Shark". If you leave a heritage/familiar brand like "Live 105", and to a lesser degree "FM 94/9" you have to think no one will miss "The Shark".

I never got "The Shark" name. Is it kinda like a "dolphin" but not really? Does "Shark" scream alternative more than another name? Inquiring minds want to know.

I never got "The Shark" name. Is it kinda like a "dolphin" but not really? Does "Shark" scream alternative more than another name? Inquiring minds want to know.

It screams "Miami", and crosses cultural borders. It's about the only good thing regarding that low rated station.

I thought Shark attacks are almost non existent in Miami-Dade and more common to the North of the coast.

It screams "Miami", and crosses cultural borders.
I like "The Tuna".
"All tunes all the time, tune in some tunes on the tuna"
"Tune in some tunes with your tuner on the tuna"

How does "shark" scream Miami? And how does "shark" cross cultural borders?

Miami = Water = Fish. Miami is, by the way, on the ocean.

Shark = near universal symbol of aggressiveness (Well, maybe not in Ulan Bator). Whether among general market or the Hispanic community, the perception of sharks in this manner is the same.

Add to that the fact that sharks make terrific cartoon figures for logos and station signage, and are highly recognizable. Good brand for an on-the-ocean (did I say that?) tropical location.

I tried Mako shark many years ago,
but found it to be dull-tasting.
I still prefer tuna,
but even marinated cardboard is better!

Miami = Water = Fish. Miami is, by the way, on the ocean.

Shark = near universal symbol of aggressiveness (Well, maybe not in Ulan Bator). Whether among general market or the Hispanic community, the perception of sharks in this manner is the same.

Add to that the fact that sharks make terrific cartoon figures for logos and station signage, and are highly recognizable. Good brand for an on-the-ocean (did I say that?) tropical location.

I love this message board for many reasons, including anytime we can get an "Ulan Bator" reference worked in is a good day in my book! :)

I love..."Ulan Bator"...is a good day in my book! :)
This is the modern city of Ulaanbaatar, the new, unanglicised, politically correct way to spell the capitol city of Magnolia, or Mongolia.
That country has five longwave broadcasters that are all 2kHz above, or 7KHz below, the bandplan channels.
One is on 164KHz, three are on 209KHz, and one is on 227KHz.
To the best of my knowledge, they do not play modern rock in English, Español, or Монгол хэл.

You don't rest until the only current playing rock station in South Florida goes Spanish

Where did I say that? From my perspective, the fewer (other) Spanish language stations there are, the better.

The issue is more that the the whole market is grounded in Miami Sound Machine and K.C. & The Sunshine Band and not hair bands and rockers.

Cleveland and Miami are both on the water; the similarities end there.

You don't rest until the only current playing rock station in South Florida goes Spanish

You don't rest, do you? Why do you insist on arguing with a man who's studied this business intensively and worked hard at it for 30+ years? We all want alt to work in South Florida, but you can't argue facts and history.

I don't pay attention, but how are the ratings now compared to when it was a simulcast of 790 the Ticket?

I don't pay attention, but how are the ratings now compared to when it was a simulcast of 790 the Ticket?

In the Mar-Apr-May period of 2015, prior to the change, they averaged a 1.8 including WAXY (AM). In the period from April to December of 2017, they averaged a 2.1, with WAXY at a 1.0 level.

So the split and the new FM format get 3.1 shares, while the simulcast of sports got 1.3 shares less. WSFS alone averages about a 3 share in 25-54, and is 15th in the market.

Toast has left the building

The Morning Mess just got messier. Toast is no longer toasting on The Shark. Could this be the beginning of the end ?

You don't rest, do you? Why do you insist on arguing with a man who's studied this business intensively and worked hard at it for 30+ years? We all want alt to work in South Florida, but you can't argue facts and history.

Sorry. But I'm shocked that is has lasted this long. SFLA has never been a ALT rock region.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom