• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNAI Busted

DrAkbar

Star Participant
When a non-commercial FM sounds and acts like a commercial FM, there's a price to pay. In the case of KNAI's parent company (CCF) that price is $115,000 for what they did on KNAI (88~Three) and sister station KUFW (90~Five) in Visalia, CA. While it may seem a small amount on the surface, CCF has had to shell out almost $3.5m to purchase KMVP-AM, Translator 101~Nine, and KAHM/KQNA just to get on the commercial band. YIKES! Read all about it: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...tion-pay-115000-fine-underwriting-violations/

When a non-commercial FM sounds and acts like a commercial FM, there's a price to pay. In the case of KNAI's parent company (CCF) that price is $115,000 for what they did on KNAI (88~Three) and sister station KUFW (90~Five) in Visalia, CA. While it may seem a small amount on the surface, CCF has had to shell out almost $3.5m to purchase KMVP-AM, Translator 101~Nine, and KAHM/KQNA just to get on the commercial band. YIKES! Read all about it: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...tion-pay-115000-fine-underwriting-violations/

No wonder CCF wanted to say sayonara to the NCE band! Why in the world has the FCC let this (contested) application for the KUFW swap sit while there hasn't been a single new filing in it since October 2016?

No wonder CCF wanted to say sayonara to the NCE band! Why in the world has the FCC let this (contested) application for the KUFW swap sit while there hasn't been a single new filing in it since October 2016?

A Petition To Deny filing tends to slow things down. https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS...?appn=101739280&qnum=5000&copynum=1&exhcnum=1 CCF's practice of running a commercial station on a NCE came to light in this filing. Los Buckeye Boyz think the $115,000 fine and CCF's pledge to change their commercial ways may thaw the ice in the sale of KUFW to EMF.

The other shoe to drop has to be a labor dispute between Gerawan Farming and the UFW (CCF states they're not part of the UFW, but Gerawan claims it's a very cozy relationship). The CA Supreme Court ruled in favor of the UFW last fall, but Gerawan Farming says they're taking the matter to the US Supreme Court. So hurry up and wait for this one to be resolved!

Los Buckeye Boyz think the $115,000 fine and CCF's pledge to change their commercial ways may thaw the ice in the sale of KUFW to EMF.

Reminds me of when Edens got popped for EEO violations at KOY/KOY-FM right before selling. Then the FCC got into a fight with itself over what a fair penalty for an EEO violation should be and what really constitutes a violation, so for 6 months while the commissioners bickered amongst themselves the sale couldn't be approved. Once they settled on policy, things moved pretty quickly.

It's amazing that KNAI got away with it as long as they did, and I'm sure that they didn't even feel the penalty. They were running spots in Spanish, (not underwriting announcements), when I arrived in Phoenix in 1993 and were still doing so when I left in 2006.

It's amazing that KNAI got away with it as long as they did, and I'm sure that they didn't even feel the penalty. They were running spots in Spanish, (not underwriting announcements), when I arrived in Phoenix in 1993 and were still doing so when I left in 2006.

Not politically correct to take on certain non-profit organizations like the Cesar Chavez Foundation. Yes indeedy, they were flagrantly disregarding FCC rules and got away with it for a long, long time. The $115,000 fine paid is a mere pittance compared to the amount of money CCF has in its coffers - enough to spend $4.4m on acquiring commercial band properties to serve the Valley. If it wasn't for the labor dispute involving their Visalia, CA station, Nurse Jeff and I wonder if they would have ever been caught in Phoenix.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom