• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They're Back...& Still No One Cares!

DrAkbar

Star Participant
KPHX 14~Eighty has awaken from it's slumber and returned to Ancient Modulation Kinda sorta. Lost the S PHX xmttr site, so now a 90 ft long wire at Shaw Butte and 100 wats daytime only. They're simulcasting something...but Buckeye is kinda out of their service contour now. Can anyone closer let us know What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a goin' on?

Checked today Doc from downtown Glendale and I can confirm your “DX catch” of KPHX from the boonies of Buckeye. I heard a weak to fair signal from KPHX 1480 AM and it was airing a classic country / classic hits format. The music was mostly classic country, but I heard Neil Diamond “Forever in Blue Jeans” and “Cat’s in the Cradle” by Harry Chapin. I was only 6-7 miles away from Shaw Butte, but that 100 watt day-time signal was pretty lousy. It also had a top of the hour ID and it appears to be simulcasting a country station of “KRKY.” I also heard the mention of Wilcox, AZ so I’m thinking it is rebroadcasting KHIL 1250 AM / K251CG 98.1 FM. I don’t know if they have the same owners, but I wonder if classic country is going to be KPHX’s new format?

Last edited:
Some more information: It appears that KPHX is retransmitting KRKY 930 AM / K270AL 101.9 FM from Granby, Colorado. I heard a station ID bumper between songs stating “You are listening to the sound of the Rockies, KRKY.” Is KPHX owned by the same people as KRKY in Granby? Weird to hear a station from Granby, Colorado being retransmitted in Phoenix, Arizona.

Vic Michael is everywhere with his translators. It's just a matter of time before he moves one into the Valley to be fed by KPHX. And for just 100 watts, that station sounds like crap during the day. Limited range and electrical interference from every overhead power line. But even when KPHX was 5kw, its signal was pretty crappy...guess that goes with the call letters!

A little more information on KRKY. I found this translator by accident while driving up Scottsdale Rd towards Cave Creek. 91.1 FM (K216GN-FM) is the translator for KRKY-FM out of Cave Creek. It is actually a station out of Douglas, Wy. Radio Station link is: http://www.krkyfm.com/

Kinda interesting how a NCE (non commercial educational) out of Douglas, Wyoming makes its way south to the Valley and winds up on KPHX. The originating station, KRKY-FM, is also on NCE's in Granite, WY, Golden & Ft Collins, CO, plus Cave Creek. Guess the Cave Creek station feeds 14~Eighty as they're both on Shaw Butte. The other day Nurse Jeff and I heard an interesting sweeper on 14~Eighty along the lines of "...no commercials. that's the way we started and that's the way we'll always be...". Doubt that.

I heard them this morning at 6 a.m. I didn't catch the call letters, but they did mention "heard in Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Wilcox and Douglas." I'm near 7th St & Bethany.

I heard them this morning at 6 a.m. I didn't catch the call letters, but they did mention "heard in Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Wilcox and Douglas." I'm near 7th St & Bethany.

Now heard near 7th St & Bethany Home. Can you hear KPHX where you are?

It just keeps getting more bizarre as KPHX has filed to diplex with KSUN. Yes indeedy, one station at 14~Hundred, and the other at 14~Eighty. The plan calls for a downgrade from Class B to Class D, and you guessed it...even less power than what they used to have. Daytime 640 watts, and nighttime a blazing 25 watts. Non directional, natch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom