• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The dinosaur

Gunsmoke

Banned
This station is booming in center city on 1390, it’s personality driven oldies, big sounding voice and professional liners Called the dinosaur, only thing is I cannot get a location and they mention 3 FM frequencies but no mention of 1390. What and where is this, never picked it up before, fading in and out with the night coming but now at 5:30 it’s booming in again, still no calls..

wow now thats a great strange catch, thanks...would it work in Philly on one of the many struggeling AM's with a FM translator. Great variety from Dion to the Allman Brothers to Marvin Gaye. Shame the signals gone now, but for 45 minutes it was loud and clear. What caused it, no tropo this time of year.

would it work in Philly on one of the many struggeling AM's with a FM translator.

"Would it work?" It depends on what you mean. From what I understand, this station is a personal project by the owner. He has a few other stations that make money. This one he does for fun. So if there's an owner of a station like that in Philly who doesn't care about making money or getting ratings, sure.

wow now thats a great strange catch, thanks...would it work in Philly on one of the many struggeling AM's with a FM translator. Great variety from Dion to the Allman Brothers to Marvin Gaye. Shame the signals gone now, but for 45 minutes it was loud and clear. What caused it, no tropo this time of year.

"Tropo" is a high frequency phenomenon. AM distant reception is due to skywave conditions. There are many verified instances of daytime skywave, particularly around noon and in the winter months. There is also "sunset skip" which enhances reception as the ionosphere "charges", often creating short-term conditions that are much greater than those later at night. And then there is selective directionality caused by things like aurora incidents and weather conditions. The deep winter months are when the greatest potential for distant AM reception exist.

Philadelphia is remarkably free of local signals at night between 1340 and 1480.

And even in the day.

WFBL's night pattern: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFBL&service=AM&status=L&hours=N

So they 'do' send a lot of signal SE. Back near JFK Airport ny NY, they'd be the regular on 1390 at night. When crashing local WBNX 1380 was off, and the weaker share-time WAWZ was on instead, picking stations on 1390 was pretty easy. Have they kept those same WFBL calls straight through all those years?

Nice catch, Gunsmoke! What was the radio you used, incidentally ?

Grundig Satellit 750, I have always bought Grundgs since the 60's. Its a shame they do not make HD units, I bet that would grab distant HD signals. I have to rely on other brands for HD listening.

HERE WE GO AGAIN LOL 8:45PM grabbing a loud and clear signal on 1660, no calls, they ID as 94.7 the smoke, the music of the south or something like that. Sounds like Southern Rock, Tom Petty, Allman Brothers, 38 Special, Blackfoot and other songs I never heard with a Country Rock Sound, not a bad format if its legit. These AM signals never mention the AM only the FM frequency when the AM gets out much further and thats what I'm picking up..

HERE WE GO AGAIN LOL 8:45PM grabbing a loud and clear signal on 1660, no calls, they ID as 94.7 the smoke, the music of the south or something like that. Sounds like Southern Rock, Tom Petty, Allman Brothers, 38 Special, Blackfoot and other songs I never heard with a Country Rock Sound, not a bad format if its legit. These AM signals never mention the AM only the FM frequency when the AM gets out much further and thats what I'm picking up..

WBCN, Charlotte, NC. Smoke 94.7.

While the AM may get out well on skywave, there is essentially no listening to AM and, particularly, those X-band stations. Essentially all the desirable local audience is on FM.

"Would it work?" It depends on what you mean. From what I understand, this station is a personal project by the owner. He has a few other stations that make money. This one he does for fun. So if there's an owner of a station like that in Philly who doesn't care about making money or getting ratings, sure.

I really wanted to hear a station that's being run as a passion project instead of for the almighty dollar so I gave these guys a listen for couple hours. I love the presentation and quite a lot of the music. But there are a also a lot of songs that only a dinosaur (pun intended) would remember or want to hear in 2018. As a commercial venture, this couldn't be successful in Philly. Advertisers simply wouldn't buy it. But I'm glad to hear that someone is able to do it somewhere!

Advertisers simply wouldn't buy it. But I'm glad to hear that someone is able to do it somewhere!

WFBL doesn't show up in the public Syracuse book, but I suspect the reason is the owner doesn't subscribe for this station. His other stations appear.

WFBL doesn't show up in the public Syracuse book, but I suspect the reason is the owner doesn't subscribe for this station. His other stations appear.

It's a true no-show. 0.0.

I really wanted to hear a station that's being run as a passion project instead of for the almighty dollar so I gave these guys a listen for couple hours. I love the presentation and quite a lot of the music. But there are a also a lot of songs that only a dinosaur (pun intended) would remember or want to hear in 2018. As a commercial venture, this couldn't be successful in Philly. Advertisers simply wouldn't buy it. But I'm glad to hear that someone is able to do it somewhere!

From the DJ bios, it looks like the owner has given several old Syracuse DJs a chance to do their thing on Syracuse radio again, 35-45 years later. As BigA surmises, his other stations must be making money, so he can afford to let WFBL run as a hobby operation. Sure beats running a voicetracked jukebox or piping in Scott Shannon 24/7. The playlist seems centered in the mid-'70s, which really hits the sweet spot with me, as I was a Syracuse Univ. student from 1973-77 and remember hearing many of those songs on the original WFBL (not to mention WOLF, WNDR and WHEN) when they were current!

I notice the on-air ID is WSEN, rather than WFBL. In my Syracuse days, WSEN was a 1050 AM/92.1 FM simulcast, playing country music. And, to add to the confusion, the URL on the stream is radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WNDR. Huh?

"The Dinosaur" got the WSEN calls when the owner swapped for 92.1 with the religious broadcaster that originally bought it from Leatherstocking. So, he put them on one of his Dinosaur stations. As for why the stream shows "WNDR," that would be because one of the Dinosaur quadcast signals had those calls at one time, too. I'm pretty sure those calls are currently unused.

I agree with Miguelito. I've tried listening a few times, but I inevitably hear something too old or too obscure for my tastes, and it usually doesn't take long.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom