• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

So what are we thinking about WTDY?

Miguelito

Star Participant
I was surprised to see them dip in the Holiday book. Took a good hit in cume as well. In my twisted mind, I thought they might actually see a tiny uptick from AC music fans who didn't want wall-to-wall Christmas music. I guess it turns out people aren't going to listen to them under any circumstances! Tied for 16th is definitely not good news in market where there are only 20 commercial stations in the book! They'd have probably done better if they'd gone all-Christmas and competed with WBEB and their own sister station!

We all know not to take the Holiday book seriously but this is surely not a good sign. And are they just gonna take this type of beating every year? Can't help wondering if they moved down in the demos as well. I was hoping they'd find some success. I actually prefer their library to that of WBEB.

I was surprised to see them dip in the Holiday book. Took a good hit in cume as well. In my twisted mind, I thought they might actually see a tiny uptick from AC music fans who didn't want wall-to-wall Christmas music. I guess it turns out people aren't going to listen to them under any circumstances! Tied for 16th is definitely not good news in market where there are only 20 commercial stations in the book! They'd have probably done better if they'd gone all-Christmas and competed with WBEB and their own sister station!

We all know not to take the Holiday book seriously but this is surely not a good sign. And are they just gonna take this type of beating every year? Can't help wondering if they moved down in the demos as well. I was hoping they'd find some success. I actually prefer their library to that of WBEB.

I prefer WTDY to WBEB as well, and looking at the playlists, WTDY seems to differentiate by being a little more aggressive on newer music. (WTDY is playing Imagine Dragons- "Thunder", Portugal The Man.- "Feel It Still", Niall Horan- "Slow Hands", Camila Cabello- "Havanna" and more, while WBEB is not.) So it's like WTDY is trying to be Hot AC with a more typical AC Rotation.

I say it's definitely too early to throw in the towel on WTDY. They've slogged along in the 2 shares all year, and took the expected loss when WBEB when Christmas. (WISX never went all Christmas, and routinely fell in the Holiday books.) I think they have another year before Entercom starts thinking flip. But who knows? The flip from Amp to Today's was a CBS decision, not Entercom.

There's also the problem of not really having any profitable format to flip it to! I don't recall any advertising for 96.5. Print ads, billboards, TV spots... Marketing's not a thing anymore I guess...

It’s a thing, but not altogether cheap. They can do some in-house cross promotion, but few stations are buying spots on Action News, it seems (it’s just one example).

There's also the problem of not really having any profitable format to flip it to! I don't recall any advertising for 96.5. Print ads, billboards, TV spots... Marketing's not a thing anymore I guess...

There definitely was TV marketing. I saw tons of promos on CBS3 for Today's 96.5. Of course that was back when they were co-owned.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom