• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hawaii EMA Operator Refusing to Co-operate With FCC Investigation

How are Local Media outlets on TV, Radio, Website and Apps are going to respond the next time an OES issue an alert.
I mentioned this on the Hawaii TV and the Hawaii Radio boards under Hawaii Missile alert coverage. I seen comments around the nation that people are going to see this as "Crying Wolf" issue.

Being a frequent traveler to the Big Island myself; I heard a rather refreshing take on the whole monthly attack/warning drill. I believe it was some pundit on an NPR program that rightfully stated: Why drill anyway? Just for the sake of argument, let's say any alert would potentially be available to broadcast ten to thirty minutes before a missile struck it's intended target. And where would citizens on the beach, restaurants, shops, the cruise ship off shore, or just folks in the pool go? Answer: There is no place to go, and nothing you can do. Citizens would be given a several minute warning that they're all about to be incinerated.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be given that much advance notice.

Being a frequent traveler to the Big Island myself; I heard a rather refreshing take on the whole monthly attack/warning drill. I believe it was some pundit on an NPR program that rightfully stated: Why drill anyway? Just for the sake of argument, let's say any alert would potentially be available to broadcast ten to thirty minutes before a missile struck it's intended target. And where would citizens on the beach, restaurants, shops, the cruise ship off shore, or just folks in the pool go? Answer: There is no place to go, and nothing you can do. Citizens would be given a several minute warning that they're all about to be incinerated.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not be given that much advance notice.

AMEN!.....and AMEN!!!
Glad I'm not the only one echoing this sentiment!!!
As far back as Conelrad, during the Cold War, the entire system was basically bunk....AM radio would be the FIRST to get wiped out by RF interference from radioactive fallout...
MANY stations would NOT have attempted to stay on...the staff would split to be with their families....
Fallout shelters were totally bogus --- there were NEVER enough supplies to last anywhere NEAR the "stated" time frame, regardless of shelter size/location.....
I just wish ONE Gov't official would have the guts to step up to the plate....look the American public in the eye.....and be HONEST:
"If the 'Big One' hits, it's the end of Planet Earth as we now know it....Those who aren't immediately wiped out by nuclear blast will perish - over time, in agony - from radiation poisoning.
Those who die instantly are, IMHO, the "lucky ones" ----they're spared the horror of survival!!!:rolleyes:

Heard a news report yesterday. The individual has been fired. The 10 year employee had other job performance issues as well. The report said he had trouble understanding the difference between a "drill" and an "alert".
If that's all that happens to him, he is lucky.
He's probably related to an official in a high office. But knowing how the government works, he can appeal the firing and most likely get his job back or another job in government.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom