• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle Holiday Ratings

I'm hearing iHeart has plans to expand the KJR brand to 1090.

Branding 1090 KFNQ as a KJR clone won't fix the signal issues, especially at night. Maybe if they simulcasted on 850 to fill in the night null...maybe that could work.

So I guess for sports talk it's wait until an FM frequency opens up or lose audience, period -- at least for morning and evening drive. I don't think live radio streams work that wonderfully in cars quite yet.

There is: 102.9 KFNY & 104.9 KTDD...thats of course your thinking of anybody else other that iHM.

Branding 1090 KFNQ as a KJR clone won't fix the signal issues, especially at night. Maybe if they simulcasted on 850 to fill in the night null...maybe that could work.

Not sure how they could do either. FCC rules prohibit more that a few limited hours of AM simulcasting when the signals overlap by something like 25%. In the case of 1090 and 950, or even 850, there would be significant overlap.

So I guess for sports talk it's wait until an FM frequency opens up or lose audience, period -- at least for morning and evening drive. I don't think live radio streams work that wonderfully in cars quite yet.

A couple years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now, I'm not so sure. There was one morning a couple years ago that I flipped on 101.5 on the radio in the house, then found they were playing a song I liked at the time I had to leave for school. So, I put on the stream, and one good song after another lead to me listening to the station all the way to school, and it only buffered twice if I remember correctly, and once was the transition between my home's WiFi network and cellular data. Another time was last summer, I decided to go get my hair cut. On the way back, I pulled up a stream, and started walking home with it coming out of my pocket. The only time I had a problem with it was ironically in our own kitchen, because for whatever reason our wireless wasn't reaching there at the time. On a semi-related note, why does KUOW's stream show up separately from the over the air rating? I thought that only happened for stations that weren't a complete simulcast of the air signal, which is usually commercial stations that split the commercials.

There is: 102.9 KFNY & 104.9 KTDD...thats of course your thinking of anybody else other that iHM.

I was thinking sports talk in this market in general. I'm sure 102.9 and 104.9 could get the job done... They don't have terrific signals in the Seattle area, but they do come in here in the South End, so ya never know.

Perhaps sports talk in general isn't one of those big money making formats, so they don't run it on FM. I mean, here in Seattle there are large followings for the Seahawks and Mariners, yet sports talk is basically AM only. There must be a reason for that. Perhaps Seattle isn't as big a sports town as I thought.

Perhaps sports talk in general isn't one of those big money making formats, so they don't run it on FM.

WFAN is one of the highest billing stations in the country. Of course they're in NYC, but I see low rated AM sports talk stations making more money with that format than with conservative talk. They key is in how you merchandise it.

WFAN is one of the highest billing stations in the country. Of course they're in NYC, but I see low rated AM sports talk stations making more money with that format than with conservative talk. They key is in how you merchandise it.

That's refreshing to hear, because I actually enjoy the sports talk format.

Not sure how they could do either. FCC rules prohibit more that a few limited hours of AM simulcasting when the signals overlap by something like 25%. In the case of 1090 and 950, or even 850, there would be significant overlap.

I just went through this with a couple of Seattle-area stations that were considering a full-time simulcast. For same-service stations, you're limited to a maximum 25% of "either station's daily broadcast time" (which would matter if one wasn't 24/7) if either station covers more than 50% of the other's principal community contour.

So it's a little better than Kelly recalls, but not by a lot. A couple of full-time AM or FMs could carry up to 6 hours of each other's programming per day... probably not enough to matter to most... maybe one major shift & a couple of combined newscasts, that sort of thing. You definitely can not wire one to the other's program feed and call it good.

7 FCC 92-361

I just went through this with a couple of Seattle-area stations that were considering a full-time simulcast. For same-service stations, you're limited to a maximum 25% of "either station's daily broadcast time" (which would matter if one wasn't 24/7) if either station covers more than 50% of the other's principal community contour.

So it's a little better than Kelly recalls, but not by a lot. A couple of full-time AM or FMs could carry up to 6 hours of each other's programming per day... probably not enough to matter to most... maybe one major shift & a couple of combined newscasts, that sort of thing. You definitely can not wire one to the other's program feed and call it good.

7 FCC 92-361

Yes indeed, I got off my a$$ and looked up the official rule:

§73.3556 Duplication of programming on commonly owned or time brokered stations.

(a) No commercial AM or FM radio station shall operate so as to devote more than 25 percent of the total hours in its average broadcast week to programs that duplicate those of any station in the same service (AM or FM) which is commonly owned or with which it has a time brokerage agreement if the principal community contours (predicted or measured 5 mV/m groundwave for AM stations and predicted 3.16 mV/m for FM stations) of the stations overlap and the overlap constitutes more than 50 percent of the total principal community contour service area of either station.

(b) For purposes of this section, duplication means the broadcasting of identical programs within any 24 hour period.

(c) Any party engaged in a time brokerage arrangement which conflicts with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section on September 16, 1992, shall bring that arrangement into compliance within one year thereafter.

[57 FR 18093, Apr. 29, 1992, as amended at 57 FR 42706, Sept. 16, 1992]

Effective Date Note: At 57 FR 18093, Apr. 29, 1992, §73.3556 was added, effective Aug. 1, 1992. At 57 FR 35763, Aug. 11, 1992, the effective date was deferred pending action by the agency. At 57 FR 37888, Aug. 21, 1992, the effective date was further deferred. At 57 FR 42706, Sept. 16, 1992, paragraph (a) was revised and paragraph (c) was added, effective Sept. 16, 1992.

7 FCC 92-361

Yes indeed, I got off my a$$ and looked up the official rule:

§73.3556 Duplication of programming on commonly owned or time brokered stations.

(a) No commercial AM or FM radio station shall operate so as to devote more than 25 percent of the total hours in its average broadcast week to programs that duplicate those of any station in the same service (AM or FM) which is commonly owned or with which it has a time brokerage agreement if the principal community contours (predicted or measured 5 mV/m groundwave for AM stations and predicted 3.16 mV/m for FM stations) of the stations overlap and the overlap constitutes more than 50 percent of the total principal community contour service area of either station.

(b) For purposes of this section, duplication means the broadcasting of identical programs within any 24 hour period.

(c) Any party engaged in a time brokerage arrangement which conflicts with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section on September 16, 1992, shall bring that arrangement into compliance within one year thereafter.

[57 FR 18093, Apr. 29, 1992, as amended at 57 FR 42706, Sept. 16, 1992]

Effective Date Note: At 57 FR 18093, Apr. 29, 1992, §73.3556 was added, effective Aug. 1, 1992. At 57 FR 35763, Aug. 11, 1992, the effective date was deferred pending action by the agency. At 57 FR 37888, Aug. 21, 1992, the effective date was further deferred. At 57 FR 42706, Sept. 16, 1992, paragraph (a) was revised and paragraph (c) was added, effective Sept. 16, 1992.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom