• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is a good digital scanner?

What would be a good digital scanner that could be used to listen to the audio on non-encrypted digital radio systems?

Well, to share what I found out in case anyone else is looking for a decent digital scanner ... I find that one of the more important characteristics is that it is P25 phase 2 compliant. That seems to be a characteristic of the digital scanners that are up to date. I deal with interference resolution of various systems, and having a decent digital scanner can be beneficial in helping determine the source of the interference in that you may hear a call sign or some other identifying information on the digital signal. That can be a much easier way to determine the source of interference, rather than having to DF the signal, especially if the interference is very infrequent.

Well, to share what I found out in case anyone else is looking for a decent digital scanner ... I find that one of the more important characteristics is that it is P25 phase 2 compliant. That seems to be a characteristic of the digital scanners that are up to date. I deal with interference resolution of various systems, and having a decent digital scanner can be beneficial in helping determine the source of the interference in that you may hear a call sign or some other identifying information on the digital signal. That can be a much easier way to determine the source of interference, rather than having to DF the signal, especially if the interference is very infrequent.

Hello Lee_NWGA,
I hear that the P25 doesn't meet all of the expectations of public safety.
You may also want to look at the Radio Scanner Guide website - there's a lot of info (technical) for the scanner radio hobby and also digital scanner features as well. I've also joined Broadcast Engineering forum.

Hello Lee_NWGA,
I hear that the P25 doesn't meet all of the expectations of public safety.
You may also want to look at the Radio Scanner Guide website - there's a lot of info (technical) for the scanner radio hobby and also digital scanner features as well. I've also joined Broadcast Engineering forum.

I've been out of the scanning hobby for years, but is P25 still having problems? I ask because I just happened to pull out an old issue of Monitoring Times and the cover story is "The Great Project 25 Boondoggle: 22 Years In Search Of Interoperability." The date of the issue? February 2011!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom