• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Ligotti Returns

WROL is always having a hard time filling those mid-afternoon/PM drive spots for anything that makes money.

I think you will see what many AM stations with translators do....drop the entire identity of the AM, and focus on the FM signal being the product. And the FM signal, Like Bloomberg's 106.1, is steady over Boston all the time. (No one even will care about the 90 watt AM in Winter.)

I don't think he is competing for ratings against Howie.

To make this work, all he needs is a couple of sponsors to pay his minimal expenses...which is probably the purchase of time. (Unlike Howie who has staffers to pay, rent, TV feeds, etc.)

I don't believe it.
just an aside; Bloomberg's 99 watt 106.1 barely makes it past 128, and it's almost impossible near 495.
They are competing with 106.1 religious programming in Fitchburg with its 250 watts, also the 106.1 Worcester signal

btw Imus, whose show was carried by WTKK, retires in March

I saw that. I haven't listened to Imus in over a decade, since he went to Fox Business. Some have commented he's attempting to lay the blame on the Cumulus bankruptcy, but at 77 now with chronic health problems, it may be a convenient excuse for him to bow out while attempting to shift the blame to someone else. Not sure I buy that, I often figured he would be on the air forever, iron lung and all, if necessary. After all, from my recollection, he's been on supplemental oxygen on air for years now, even back when he used to broadcast from the Imus Ranch.

Since WROL does not subscribe, there will be no ratings data.... I don't even know if they encode, but you hit the nail on the head, it is about getting sponsors, and I think thy are going to be hard to come by, and they are not going to be willing to pay big dollars for what little they might get.

I wonder if Joe can do Tradio with Two Guys Smoke Shop for some cigars?

Dunkin Donuts?

Or a few Italian Restaurants in East Boston? ;-)

Ligotti is an embarrassment to my tribe.
Question not answered: Is this guy a MassPort hack?

just an aside; Bloomberg's 99 watt 106.1 barely makes it past 128, and it's almost impossible near 495.

They come in loud and clear in parts of Dracut and even into Pelham NH on 106.1

Ligotti was a Massport employee who got a lucky break and got to play radio on WTTK due to his "Guy from Boston" YouTube videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7o9p0fP6cQ&list=PL2J28NmNIDiir4JcMotWMKpyFU3LfDCyx

I can tell you that there are other parts of MA government where people have been fired or suspended for social media postings that were no where near the diatribe that Joe put on YouTube.

The pride of Tewksbury is retired from MASSPORT, he was a Local 25 parking utility technician

I used to listen to TKK extensively years ago on weekends, the lineup was pretty decent, it wasn't a bunch of "financial planners" attempting to sell you annuities like you hear today on various talk stations. Ligotti's show with "Huggy" was entertaining -- but not as entertaining as the Phantom Gourmet guys who came on later, who often had me in stitches -- dangerous when I was on the roof re-shingling the house and I would be laughing my ass off on a 10/12 pitch :) Maybe I am confusing the timeline, but I thought Ligotti's show ended when TKK swapped from the talk format, and not because he was "hired away" from TKK.

His time on MEX was strange. Given his on-air persona, I wouldn't find it outside the realm of possibility he would say/do something and find himself in hot water with HR, especially with the snowflakes you have today. I never believed the rumors he "sexually harassed" McPhee, I think it'd be far more likely she'd hand him his manly-parts in a paper bag if he ever did.

Don't know if I could stand listening to him 5 days a week, the one show a week on TKK was okay. I suppose I may give it a try if all of a sudden Whitey does manage to whack Howie, and his show is no longer on in the same time frame.
To me......Ligotti represents a whole bunch of negative stereotypes....all wrapped up in one fat body!

Speaking of the Phantom Gourmet Guys / Andelman brothers.....I must admit I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't manage to get their hands on WMEX. I dare say 1510 would have been a really fun listen had they been running it......not to mention the occasional cameo appearance of Daddy Eddie.:D

They come in loud and clear in parts of Dracut and even into Pelham NH on 106.1
What you can hear is Newburyport's 106.1 signal, not Boston's.
Near 495 , West of Boston the signal is crap.
And WRCA 1330 DOES NOT COVER METRO WEST, the South shore, yes.
I have to listen on 92.9 HD2 in my home

What you can hear is Newburyport's 106.1 signal, not Boston's.

Well when they first came on, it was IRISH MUSIC, and I was getting it loud and clear in my car on Rt 113 west of 93 and north of the Merrimack on a daily basis.

The 106.1 Amesbury translator does not make it far IMHO

Tim Coco's WHAV-LP comes into Pelham on a good day

90w by night but 5,000 by day

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WROL-AM&h=D

...and yes there's the FM, again squeezing a pirate out

https://www.scivision.co/wrol-am-950-fm-translator-1003/
It seems this time they may have gotten the memo, as I noted Big City on both 100.3 and 105.3 (Vibe 105's old frequency) since just after 3am this morning (not quite as strong as 100.3, but still enough to be in equal battle up here on the North Shore with 15-70's xltr down in Medford)!

To me......Ligotti represents a whole bunch of negative stereotypes....all wrapped up in one fat body!

I think that's by design....he's a caricature, a cartoon, verbally and visually!

Bloomberg's 99 watt 106.1 barely makes it past 128, and it's almost impossible near 495.

However, they are consistent inside 128....which is the most densely populated area in all of New England.

I used to listen to TKK extensively years ago on weekends, the lineup was pretty decent, it wasn't a bunch of "financial planners" attempting to sell you annuities like you hear today on various talk stations. Ligotti's show with "Huggy" was entertaining -- but not as entertaining as the Phantom Gourmet guys who came on later, who often had me in stitches -- dangerous when I was on the roof re-shingling the house and I would be laughing my ass off on a 10/12 pitch :) Maybe I am confusing the timeline, but I thought Ligotti's show ended when TKK swapped from the talk format, and not because he was "hired away" from TKK.

Exactly. Early Saturday morning at 8:00 on 'TKK was Matt Shearer, now the producer of the TJ Morning Show on AMP 103.3; followed by Mel "It's not political, it's personal" Robbins at 10:00; then Joe and Huggy at 1:00. When the latter returned to Philly for family issues, Jow went it pretty much alone. And then at 4:00 the Andelman Brothers, who were uproariously funny.

One prticularly good bit was that of the Jewish deli that was going to set up in the (Italian) North End of Boston. The brothers asked their callers for possible names; one stood out: "Jeru-salami".

Disappointed 'RKO could not pick them up, but, in all fairness, they probably did not want to lose Whitley and Co. and THEIR restaurant show.

Exactly. Early Saturday morning at 8:00 on 'TKK was Matt Shearer, now the producer of the TJ Morning Show on AMP 103.3; followed by Mel "It's not political, it's personal" Robbins at 10:00; then Joe and Huggy at 1:00. When the latter returned to Philly for family issues, Jow went it pretty much alone. And then at 4:00 the Andelman Brothers, who were uproariously funny.

One prticularly good bit was that of the Jewish deli that was going to set up in the (Italian) North End of Boston. The brothers asked their callers for possible names; one stood out: "Jeru-salami".

Disappointed 'RKO could not pick them up, but, in all fairness, they probably did not want to lose Whitley and Co. and THEIR restaurant show.

Whitley and his son SUCK beyond belief!

The skit I remember the best was one where they had a guest, from somewhere I forget, call in to their show for an interview, under the guise their show was the "Hottest Mushroom Show in Boston"... "All mushrooms, all the time", etc. I do not remember much, because at the time I was laughing so hard I had tears running down my face. That was truly great radio.

Pat must be in his mid or late 80’s now. He isn’t that much younger than Jerry Williams who would be in his 90’s.

Whitley's age? Just saw an article online from the Eagle-Tribune, Nov of 2016:

""I let the people be the critics," said Whitley, 68"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom