• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

MMR Rocking 50 years

Gunsmoke

Banned
Today, wow I remember when they were WIP FM then changed calls to Metro Media Radio hence MMR. I still recall as a kid 16 years old hearing cuts from Rock LP's, sounded different in Stereo on my Panasonic system, DAS-FM was doing it but not full time. I don't recall if the Rock format came with the call letter change or did it take awile. Kudos for a station keeping a format over 50 years. They were lucky in the mid 90s that Infinity spun them off to Greater Media or they would of been the casualty like WNEW-FM and YSP would of been the Rocker same as K-Rock.

010.jpg

Last edited:
Today, wow I remember when they were WIP FM then changed calls to Metro Media Radio hence MMR.

The company was called "Metromedia". One word, not two.

The original company, coming out of the old DuMont TV operation, was Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation. It was sold by Paramount to John Kluge in 1958, and in 1961 was renamed "Metromedia". The radio division continued to use "Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation" for some time.

It has been theorized that "MMR" stood for "Metromedia Rocks".

Or perhaps Metromedia Radio, which is how the stations identified themselves on air at the time.

WIP (610) certainly did...I remember it well. At the top of the hour before the news, it was Metromedia radio for [insert several local towns here] and Philadelphia, at least circa mid 70s.

Today, wow I remember when they were WIP FM then changed calls to Metro Media Radio hence MMR. I still recall as a kid 16 years old hearing cuts from Rock LP's, sounded different in Stereo on my Panasonic system, DAS-FM was doing it but not full time. I don't recall if the Rock format came with the call letter change or did it take awile. Kudos for a station keeping a format over 50 years. They were lucky in the mid 90s that Infinity spun them off to Greater Media or they would of been the casualty like WNEW-FM and YSP would of been the Rocker same as K-Rock.

View attachment 1100

I agree that is is great that CBS Radio chose WMMR to divest all those years ago to Greater Media. CBS would have definitely changed WMMR's format before WYSP. CBS got rid of more than WNEW & WYSP. They also got rid of K-rock in NYC and WBCN in Boston among others with that Free-talk radio after Howard went to Sirius.

I love the fact that WMMR is still here rocking after 50 years. Have any other stations held on to one format all these years other than WMMR & KYW-AM?

The company was called "Metromedia". One word, not two.

The original company, coming out of the old DuMont TV operation, was Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation. It was sold by Paramount to John Kluge in 1958, and in 1961 was renamed "Metromedia". The radio division continued to use "Metropolitan Broadcasting Corporation" for some time.

It has been theorized that "MMR" stood for "Metromedia Rocks".

The call letters were changed in 1966 from WIP-FM but the format remained MOR until 1968. There were no real 'rock' stations in 1966 & the term 'rocks' wasn't used in that context in 1966 so I always understood it stood for Metromedia Radio, in the early progressive rock era simply called "The Radio Station" or "Metromedia Radio in Stereo" (as did WNEW-FM).

MMR did stand for MetroMediaRadio as I stated in my original post, and at one time, early 70's, they just went by "The Radio Station", I bet no one remembers the logo that went with it, give up, Bugs Bunny eating a carrot. I never caught the connection with that logo.

MMR did stand for MetroMediaRadio as I stated in my original post, and at one time, early 70's, they just went by "The Radio Station", I bet no one remembers the logo that went with it, give up, Bugs Bunny eating a carrot. I never caught the connection with that logo.

Pierre loves to play those old jungles on his show either right before of after he plays a Sinatra song on his show. Metromedia in Philadelphia...

I agree that is is great that CBS Radio chose WMMR to divest all those years ago to Greater Media. CBS would have definitely changed WMMR's format before WYSP. CBS got rid of more than WNEW & WYSP. They also got rid of K-rock in NYC and WBCN in Boston among others with that Free-talk radio after Howard went to Sirius.

I love the fact that WMMR is still here rocking after 50 years. Have any other stations held on to one format all these years other than WMMR & KYW-AM?

I share the sentiment with CBS Radio and the Rock format. After Howard left, they had no use for it, probably because the format didn't bill as well without Howard. In the case with WBCN, it was not flipped to Free FM. WBCN continued as a rock station for three more years, and escaped the Free FM era of CBS talk stations. What it didn't escape was CBS Radio's East Coast quest to dominate the Sports Talk format. It was flipped and frequency swapped with what is now WWBX, at the time WBMX.

I do find it funny that on the West Coast, CBS seemed to let the rock stations evolve, but on the East Coast they were systematically put out to pasture. K-Rock, WSYP, WBCN, O-Rock, WNEW, K-Rock in Cleveland, which became Radio 92.3 if I have it right, even the revival of WRXP (although that only existed as a place filler until it could be sold). I'm sure that I left some out. To summarize, I completely agree with your premise, just clarifying that WBCN was not a Free FM causality. It was a Sports Talk causality, and probably was one of two stations to not flip to men's talk after Howard left.

I share the sentiment with CBS Radio and the Rock format. After Howard left, they had no use for it, probably because the format didn't bill as well without Howard.

Or maybe because the music was less vital and the audience was less loyal to the format. The problem continues now. Howard was the attraction, not the music.

I share the sentiment with CBS Radio and the Rock format. After Howard left, they had no use for it, probably because the format didn't bill as well without Howard. In the case with WBCN, it was not flipped to Free FM. WBCN continued as a rock station for three more years, and escaped the Free FM era of CBS talk stations. What it didn't escape was CBS Radio's East Coast quest to dominate the Sports Talk format. It was flipped and frequency swapped with what is now WWBX, at the time WBMX.

I do find it funny that on the West Coast, CBS seemed to let the rock stations evolve, but on the East Coast they were systematically put out to pasture. K-Rock, WSYP, WBCN, O-Rock, WNEW, K-Rock in Cleveland, which became Radio 92.3 if I have it right, even the revival of WRXP (although that only existed as a place filler until it could be sold). I'm sure that I left some out. To summarize, I completely agree with your premise, just clarifying that WBCN was not a Free FM causality. It was a Sports Talk causality, and probably was one of two stations to not flip to men's talk after Howard left.

I forgot that WBCN was around until the Sports Hub displaced Mix 98.5 and Mix displaced WBCN. CBS did keep WBCN kind of alive on Sports Hub's HD2 until Beasley just killed it. And I guess Entercom is keeping WYSP still on WIP's HD3 channel.

WYSP has been alive and well on WIP FM HD3 since the main signal went sports, they first went to Jelli and after that Spike has been programming it and updating the music, from what I heard. Not bad if you like alot of hair metal and early grunge.

002.jpg001.jpg

WYSP has been alive and well on WIP FM HD3 since the main signal went sports, they first went to Jelli and after that Spike has been programming it and updating the music, from what I heard. Not bad if you like alot of hair metal and early grunge.

View attachment 1108View attachment 1109

Except, at least last I checked, WIP-HD3's audio quality was HORRIBLE. Like trying to stream an old lo-fi RealPlayer stream of a station or something. And it's been that way for a long time.

They used to be in mono, but the last few years they are in stereo and since then the irritating sound quality...but they are one of the few signals still displaying the album art )

Or maybe because the music was less vital and the audience was less loyal to the format. The problem continues now. Howard was the attraction, not the music.

I do not dispute that claim. In fact, your statement is the idea to which I was alluding. As an outsider, I still question why? My ideas continue around the notion that where modern pop, R&B/Hip-Hop, and Country stations play new and current; FM Rock and Alternative Stations are "stuck in the 90s" for a lack of a better term. Even the new songs played are songs by the top billing bands from the 90s (Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, etc.). Great acts, to which why people still are dead set on seeing them live. But, there is little wiggle room for newer bands.

I discussed this with several people on the Boston Board as well. The rebuttals of the insiders have been that the songs and bands from the 90s are what is known to draw in the listeners. I cannot debate that, but only speak from my perspective. My perspective is that as Nu-Rock movement of the late 90s and Early 2000s took full steam, listeners did flee the ship in several markets. So, the stations stayed with the 90s acts. It made sense. However, as the Limp Bizkit, Korn, Godsmack, Creed era of Rock faded away, the stations continued to block out new, in favor of sticking with "what works". New is mainly from acts that have been around since the 90s, at least on the CBS Stations (before Entercom).

In the markets that could sustain the format, such as Boston and Philadelphia, we saw, with CBS Radio specifically, a watering down of the content. How is it that at the same time, MMR continued on in Philly and AAF continued on in Boston (well really the burbs North and West of the city)? Look at places like Orlando, where they killed off O-Rock pretty quick, but iHeart has WJRR down there going strong. My deduction that it wasn't only the listener being loyal. It was the stations playing a tight playlist and sticking to overplayed acts. Why was it that CBS struggled to keep a rock station on in pretty much every Eastern market, yet competitors were successful in many of the markets? Was it the listener, or was it part the company? To me, this is a bi-product of a suit in New York, making decisions for Philly, or Washington, or Boston, and so on. I don't blame the company completely, but the same should be held true for the listeners. I feel that CBS had no use for the format, and purposefully watered down the content to make flipping stations like WYSP and WBCN easier. Hence why, I was on a rant back in 09, when WBCN was flipped, that the problem was the playlist and that the only two new acts that CBS seemed to know and care about were Silver Sun Pickups and The White Stripes. Everything else was Bush, Nirvana, Green Day, etc.

I do not dispute that claim. In fact, your statement is the idea to which I was alluding. As an outsider, I still question why? My ideas continue around the notion that where modern pop, R&B/Hip-Hop, and Country stations play new and current; FM Rock and Alternative Stations are "stuck in the 90s" for a lack of a better term.

As I've said, this isn't a radio problem. This is a music problem. Back in the 90s, record labels has something called "artist development." It still exists in pop and country. Not in rock or alternative. Today, labels just throw rock music out and hope people discover it. That's not how it's supposed to work. If people knew who these rock bands were, there would be more interest in them. Today we get more artist development in The Voice and Idol than we do in the real world.

The call letters were changed in 1966 from WIP-FM but the format remained MOR until 1968. There were no real 'rock' stations in 1966 & the term 'rocks' wasn't used in that context in 1966 so I always understood it stood for Metromedia Radio, in the early progressive rock era simply called "The Radio Station" or "Metromedia Radio in Stereo" (as did WNEW-FM).

It was Metromedia Radio.
WMMS in Cleveland, formerly WHK FM, was Metromedia Stereo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom