• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Harvey Holiday’s Street Corner Sunday’s ends after 29 year

With all due respect the guy is a Philly/AC legend met him when he did nights at WMID just him and I in the Murray Avenue studio late at night chatting. But should he have been let go with the show, he has followers but in his 70s does he fit the newer format, he would be more suited for a 50's-60's Classic oldies station ala WMID in its current state, or does the average listener really care about the on air jock nowadays.

But should he have been let go with the show, he has followers but in his 70s does he fit the newer format,

You're probably right about that, but as you say he is a legend and to let him go would be disrespectful. So they keep him, and because he's a pro, he does his job regardless of the music. KRTH kept some of their legendary jocks until they voluntarily retired. Does the average listener care? Probably not. But it's a connection with the past, and Philly folks like that. If you search around the dial, you can still find Sid Mark playing Sinatra, just as he did 40 years ago. How many people care about that? Who knows, but he's still there.

and we must not forget about Pierre and Debella, but their audience skews older so they connect, not like what OGL is after now. I did hear a mid 60's Marvin Gaye tune tonight, are they the only Classic Hits station still playing 60's Motown...must be that die hard not accepting change Philly listener )

and we must not forget about Pierre and Debella, but their audience skews older so they connect, not like what OGL is after now. I did hear a mid 60's Marvin Gaye tune tonight, are they the only Classic Hits station still playing 60's Motown...must be that die hard not accepting change Philly listener )

Seem that WOGL has totally gave up on anything related to the immediate past from '60-'80's. They just keep repeating the same '80's over and over.
What made that station different from others from the Breakfast Club to Street Corner Sunday, Elvis Show, and all the other programs that are gone.
Might as well change the call letters. True the '80's are now oldies, but the '60's and '70's seem to have fallen of the earth. I know besides the baby boomers that miss this music, I substitute teach at a technical school and the teenage students listen to oldies! They even quiz me! I guess Entercom knows better than what everyone else wants or cares? They suggested writing the station, probably a waste of time......

Do they still play any Leslie, Ricky, Frankie or Elvis tunes anymore, I rarely listen, but their HD2 isn't half bad.

Just a wacky theory....Maybe they're afraid of an age discrimination suit. Hy Lit tried that. He wasn't successful but maybe the powers that be don't need the hassle. This theory is based on nothing since I never met Holiday and am just wild guessing a remote possibility.

you guys are blessed - Philadelphia had 15 MORE YEARS of this great music than we in New York did - kudos to Holiday for keeping the spirit alive after 2002!

Last edited by a moderator:
So true! Wonder if any other station might pick this up?? Hmmm, Jersey 101.5 might be a good one on the weekends!

I think there's pretty slim chances that the show is gonna land anywhere on terrestrial. It doesn't fit at all with NJ101.5's weekend music format. (Do they even do specialty shows over there?)

Aren't there a slew of oldies station in NJ?

Can it surface on an HD sub...WMGK HD2 would be a fit but different owners, WOGL HD2 good possibility, and how much longer is Pantano going to be spinning.

Perhaps the station that would fit this show best at this point would be WDAS-FM. Unless he's willing to go to a "left of the dial" station like WXPN.

Perhaps the station that would fit this show best at this point would be WDAS-FM. Unless he's willing to go to a "left of the dial" station like WXPN.

I think WXPN has a pretty clear idea of the kind of music it plays, and 50-60 year old pop songs aren't part of that concept.

However you're right that some form on non-commercial radio might be a better outlet. Although that probably would require Harvey to do the show for free or much less money.

I think WXPN has a pretty clear idea of the kind of music it plays, and 50-60 year old pop songs aren't part of that concept.

They do have specialty shows on there that play music that isn't in the typical "AAA" range. I heard a '90s show that included several pop and Urban songs. There's also a "'70s A to Z" list on their website which includes songs from all genres, including popular hits. And there are a number of shows that would feature music as old as or older than what Harvey would play. So I don't agree that his show would be a bad fit for the station. Whether or not it would actually happen is another story, but I don't think it's an outrageous idea.

They do have Jerry Blavat on Saturdays, but only for an hour, and I doubt that they have interest in going farther in that direction.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom