• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCBS needs to update their ads!

I usually listen to WCBS late at night and in 2017 I always heard this ubiquitous ad for "Meals On Wheels" featuring Lola [Who may or may not have been a showgirl and probably has no idea who Barry Manilow is] and at one point she says "I'll be turning 95 this year". Well, here it is, 2018, and she's STILL turning 95 this year. I have no idea how long this ad has been running for, so for all I know she could be 113 by now or expired a while ago. Maybe somebody at WCBS should say something to their ad people about contacting "Meals On Wheels" and subtly ask "Hey, is Lola still around? Think you could contact her and have her update her age on your ad?" For all I know she could be in a nursing home by now or six feet under and no longer needs Meals On Wheels. It's just something that bugs me because it just reminds me that quality control seems to have flown out the door at most stations when it comes to their ads and nobody appears to give a damn.

Meals on Wheels doesn't care that Lola may now be 96, and WCBS will air whatever copy they provide.

I worked at a station quite a while back where they ran a car dealership in a sponsored newscast.

One small reason the ad was ineffective : The dealership no longer was in business. Word was that there had been some litigation and the station wound up having to play the sponsored newcast for the duration of the original contract.

It most likely wouldn't be up to WCBS to update that spot as it sounds like a PSA and those are almost always produced by outside agencies. The station however could pull and replace the PSA with something more current but unfortunately in today's radio cultural and environment, it's a low priority item.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom