• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

UnID on 1610

This evening at 7:20pm CST (0120 UTC), 1610 was dominated by Spanish talk. My Spanish is rusty but appeared to be an interview program on economics etc. No ads or ID's heard, went through the bottom of the hour without break. Would this be XEUACH Radio Chapingo? MWList says it's from the Universitario Autónoma Chapingo.

Interestingly, at the same time, 1620 next door was dominated by Radio Rebelde, trashing the semi local WTAW up in College Station.

I've heard that too a couple times on 1610 when I lived in Tampa.

1610 was always the Tampa International Airport Info recording day and night but I remember now there were a couple nights where a Spanish speaking station dominated and the airport broadcast could hardly be heard.

Never could figure out where it was from.

CHHA Toronto could be another option. Here in the Chicago area CHHA Toronto is the dominant station on 1610. Their programming is mostly in Spanish and their slogan is Voces Latina. They do have programs in other languages (Portuguese, Italian, Punjabi) on the weekends. According to their schedule at 7pm on Wednesdays the program is called "De Regreso a Casa".

I second the possibility of CHHA, WildThang. Aside from a talking house station I heard while driving through Pottsville PA, CHHA is my only 1610 logging.
(I've heard a few TIS stations on 1610, but they were outside my 10mile code radius, so I can't 'count' them on the Totals List, hi.)
I realize that CADXer's Chicago and my Pennsylvania are a lot closer to CHHA than you are. But in recent days, some folks here have been talking about good conditions being favorable vis-a-vis the northern latitudes. Perhaps the polar weather -- it was below freezing at places in Mexico this morning -- is a factor.

CHHA Toronto could be another option. Here in the Chicago area CHHA Toronto is the dominant station on 1610. Their programming is mostly in Spanish and their slogan is Voces Latina. They do have programs in other languages (Portuguese, Italian, Punjabi) on the weekends. According to their schedule at 7pm on Wednesdays the program is called "De Regreso a Casa".

Maybe I'm reading their schedule wrong, but I think they're running "Urban Definition" at 8:00 ET (7 CT), which sounds like it would be in English. Of course, the url suggests the schedule is from 2016!

Link: http://chha1610am.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PostCard-CHHA-1610AM-2016.jpg

I will try again tonight. Thanks for the tip on CHHA.

My mistake, I forgot to adjust for ET. Like you said the schedule might be out of date as well. I would be looking out for the "Voces Latina" slogan on the top of the hour if it is CHHA that you are hearing. Good luck on IDing the station.

Speaking of IDing stations, I was very happy this morning to finally get a positive ID for XEPE Tecate on 1700. Have been hearing a weak station with ESPN programming on the frequency in KBGG null but never station ID until today.

Congrats CADXER on getting XEPE. Lots of sports on 1700 with XEPE and KBGG being ESPN and KVNS Fox Sports. I should be able to null both KBGG and KVNS to try for XEPE, need to try that.

Nice job! Last night I heard KKLF and KVNS on 1700 mixing with XEPE. KVNS was running Ben Maller from Fox Sports, KKLF with Spanish urban music. Both mixing over Tijuana at times. WLW was in on 700 under the ESPN from Spokane; also 1580 CKDO Ontario with stream match! This is 10kw at over 2,000 miles. Later KKTS WY faded up with Hot AC music, 230 watts.

The 7pm programming on XEUACH is "Cápsulas Campo". These appear to be short segments on farm issues, etc. and they pad out a lot of Radio Chapingo's broadcast day.

The Universidad Autónoma Chapingo is a federally administered agricultural university, so it would not be unusual if some farm segment discussed economics.

XEUACH holds the distinction of being the first expanded-band AM station in the country. There are currently just five (three in/near Mexico City and two in/near Tijuana) and the number is not likely to go up due to national bandplan changes (namely the designation of the X-band as for community and indigenous stations).

However, the university holds a public concession to move from 1610 to 1130 kHz, and it's under another callsign. I believe the permit they had for 1610 might have expired (of course, that's not an obstacle for *some* stations in Mexico) and the IFT simply could not give them 1610 due to what I mentioned above.

CHHA Toronto could be another option. Here in the Chicago area CHHA Toronto is the dominant station on 1610.

My thought as well. 1kw on a nearly vacant channel on the top end of the band can produce some impressive nighttime results. As XEPE has demonstrated

The 7pm programming on XEUACH is "Cápsulas Campo". These appear to be short segments on farm issues, etc. and they pad out a lot of Radio Chapingo's broadcast day.

The Universidad Autónoma Chapingo is a federally administered agricultural university, so it would not be unusual if some farm segment discussed economics.

XEUACH holds the distinction of being the first expanded-band AM station in the country. There are currently just five (three in/near Mexico City and two in/near Tijuana) and the number is not likely to go up due to national bandplan changes (namely the designation of the X-band as for community and indigenous stations).

However, the university holds a public concession to move from 1610 to 1130 kHz, and it's under another callsign. I believe the permit they had for 1610 might have expired (of course, that's not an obstacle for *some* stations in Mexico) and the IFT simply could not give them 1610 due to what I mentioned above.

An update on this - last night at just past 7 CST I heard a clear Radio Chapingo ID here. It sounded like similar programming (somewhat dry talk in SS), so I'll say mystery solved.

Nice catch. I only heard them once back in November of 2017 when conditions were very good to the SW of me. I would not give up trying to hear CHHA. With a decent antenna you should be able to get them at your location.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom