• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hugh Wilson, who used WQXI-AM as inspiration for "WKRP in Cincinnati," has died

Yes, WKRP was inspired by Atlanta's WQXI, and I've run in to some people over the years who remember those days, including my first Star 94 salesperson, Mike Dana.

Another thing about WKRP that I find interesting is the part of WKRP's GM, played by Gordon Jump, was named Arthur Carlson. The real Arthur Carlson was the long-time President of Susquehanna Radio, and I'm guessing that wasn't a coincidence. The real Mr. Carlson passed away in 2012.

Yes, WKRP was inspired by Atlanta's WQXI, and I've run in to some people over the years who remember those days, including my first Star 94 salesperson, Mike Dana.

The connection is even deeper: Jerry Blum, the GM of WQXI, was recruited to provide industry anecdotes that could be converted into script concepts. The famous turkey drop, for example, was a real promotion Mr. Blum knew about, which had occurred at KENR-1070 in Houston.

"..As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..." Classic WKRP, 5000 watts... but where were they on the dial? Bailey Quarters any day over Jennifer Marlowe!

"..As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..." Classic WKRP, 5000 watts... but where were they on the dial? Bailey Quarters any day over Jennifer Marlowe!

In the early shows they were 50,000 watts, according to the coverage map. I can't remember any reference to the frequency but the coverage map they used indicated a large coverage area.
In complete agreement regarding Jennifer versus Bailey.

In the early shows they were 50,000 watts, according to the coverage map. I can't remember any reference to the frequency but the coverage map they used indicated a large coverage area.
In complete agreement regarding Jennifer versus Bailey.

If you look at the opening credits where someone is changing stations (after you hear the line "insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity") you'll notice that the car radio dial stops somewhere near the top of the AM dial, around 1500Khz. Incidently there is a station at 1530 in Cincinatti.

If you look at the opening credits where someone is changing stations (after you hear the line "insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity") you'll notice that the car radio dial stops somewhere near the top of the AM dial, around 1500Khz. Incidently there is a station at 1530 in Cincinatti.

There is also a WKRC in Cincinnati, which has been there for many years. It's at 550 kHz.

Atlanta (Dallas, GA) had a daytimer at 1500 with the callsign WKRP.

If they didn't have a Big Guy back then, they sure as heck have one now as a religious station!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom