• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dr Drew Pinsky Joins KGO-AM

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35083

Yes KABC-AM's Dr. Drew has been announced to have a show on Cumulus talk station in the Bay Area.

KGO-AM Cumulus Media launches a new weekday lineup for Talk KGO-AM/San Francisco. "The Ethan Bearman Show" moves from noon-2pm to 10am-12:50pm followed immediately at 12:50 by the "Ronn Owens Report." Ownes will host an eight-minute segment featuring the news of the day and what's happening around the world. KGO is also introducing medical expert and syndicated personality Dr. Drew Pinsky to San Francisco from 1-3pm. Rounding out the new weekday lineup is "The Chip Franklin Show," which expands one hour from 3-7pm.
Operations Manager Mike Anthony said, "The Next Generation of KGO 810 in 2018 reflects the changing lifestyle and information needs of the San Francisco audience. A unique perspective and a strong point of view on politics and life is what drives talk radio in 2018. It's rare to be able to add a trusted yet powerful voice like that of Dr. Drew Pinsky to the KGO lineup."

I don't follow SF radio that much, but isn't KGO the SF equivalent of KABC? Both former ABC radio owned and operated stations that used to get mega ratings in their respective markets but now are just a shell of their former selves with (sorry) bland radio personalities like Dr. Drew?

Now over the years KABC's signal has degraded considerably which accounts for part (but probably only a small part) of their ratings demise, but I always thought KGO's signal has much better market coverage, so they don't get as much of a pass. Outside of Ronn Owens and Dr. Drew, I have never even heard of the rest of these folks noted in the story above. As a certain political figure might tweet, it's "Sad".

I don't follow SF radio that much, but isn't KGO the SF equivalent of KABC? Both former ABC radio owned and operated stations that used to get mega ratings in their respective markets but now are just a shell of their former selves with (sorry) bland radio personalities like Dr. Drew?

Now over the years KABC's signal has degraded considerably which accounts for part (but probably only a small part) of their ratings demise, but I always thought KGO's signal has much better market coverage, so they don't get as much of a pass. Outside of Ronn Owens and Dr. Drew, I have never even heard of the rest of these folks noted in the story above. As a certain political figure might tweet, it's "Sad".

Well, KGO and KABC were both owned by ABC, and now both owned by Cumulus, and they are both talk stations. But the similarity ends there. In terms of signal, KGO is a blowtorch. I remember my mom listening to KGO at night in the 60s - in the San Fernando Valley. I don't believe KGO's signal has degraded, except to the extent that all AM signals sound like crap these days.

IIRC, KABC's ratings have been in the dumpster for many years, while KGO was #1 in Northern California for decades until perhaps 8 or 10 years ago. I seem to recall David Eduardo (I think) stating that the last few years of their ratings dominance prior to the People Meter, were a result of the old, flawed diary method. KGO's ratings are poor nowadays, and some people blame Cumulus for that, but I think it also has to do as much as anything with changing tastes - talk radio is not the draw it once was, and as I understand it, skews old. I AM old, and I know that I got sick of talk radio in the 90s, when I was relatively young.

Also, Ronn Owens was one of the younger KGO hosts of lore. Most of the revered ones of the 80s thru the 00s - Jim Eason, Gene Burns, Lee Rodgers - were older men back in KGO's heyday, and have retired and/or passed on...and Bernie Ward went to prison. I think the most famous former KGO talk host still working is Michael Krasny, who KGO stupidly fired in the 90s for being too "intellectual" - and has been the high rated host of KQED's Forum show for a long time now.

KABC's siignal has not degraded. The market has grown outwards, and noise levels have increased dramatically, reducing the percentage of the population covered with a decent signal to less than half the whole LA MSA market.

The bigger issues is that the area still covered well is now predominantly composed of ethnic communities, such as Korean, Black and Hispanic, which generally underindex in their usage of the traditional AM talk model being used by KABC today.

KGO has, perhaps, the best signal of any station in its market, covering well the long, thin, north to south rectangle that is the San Francisco MSA. That station's fall from grace happend when the PPM showed that the lower-cume, high, high TSL of KGO was a myth; the cume was about the same, but real listening was less than half of what was shown in the diary. The PPM shares were much, much lower than the diary ones, and Citadel started mucking with the station.

Well, KGO and KABC were both owned by ABC, and now both owned by Cumulus, and they are both talk stations. But the similarity ends there. In terms of signal, KGO is a blowtorch. I remember my mom listening to KGO at night in the 60s - in the San Fernando Valley. I don't believe KGO's signal has degraded, except to the extent that all AM signals sound like crap these days.

IIRC, KABC's ratings have been in the dumpster for many years, while KGO was #1 in Northern California for decades until perhaps 8 or 10 years ago. I seem to recall David Eduardo (I think) stating that the last few years of their ratings dominance prior to the People Meter, were a result of the old, flawed diary method. KGO's ratings are poor nowadays, and some people blame Cumulus for that, but I think it also has to do as much as anything with changing tastes - talk radio is not the draw it once was, and as I understand it, skews old. I AM old, and I know that I got sick of talk radio in the 90s, when I was relatively young.

Also, Ronn Owens was one of the younger KGO hosts of lore. Most of the revered ones of the 80s thru the 00s - Jim Eason, Gene Burns, Lee Rodgers - were older men back in KGO's heyday, and have retired and/or passed on...and Bernie Ward went to prison. I think the most famous former KGO talk host still working is Michael Krasny, who KGO stupidly fired in the 90s for being too "intellectual" - and has been the high rated host of KQED's Forum show for a long time now.

KFI in Los Angeles has been L.A. Top talk station for some time. I'm not sure when KFI started beating KABC-AM though. But in the case of KGO-AM they got beaten up by NPR News/talk affiliate KQED a decade ago right when the Bernie Ward misconduct scandal came into play and also CBS radio responded by putting KCBS simulcast on FM at KFRC-FM 106.9 around the same time in response to KQED's surge in the ratings.

Back to Dr. Drew he is like another Ryan Seacrest at play. One he was known for Loveline then moved to KABC-AM and also has a podcast deal with PodcastOne though. But I don't think Dr. Drew will make an impact on the San Francisco Radio ratings though given that San Francisco audiences prefer podcasts made by NPR and KQED productions. I think Dr. Drew is just doing this to possibly get a national show on Cumulus somewhere down the line.

KABC's siignal has not degraded. The market has grown outwards, and noise levels have increased dramatically, reducing the percentage of the population covered with a decent signal to less than half the whole LA MSA market.

The bigger issues is that the area still covered well is now predominantly composed of ethnic communities, such as Korean, Black and Hispanic, which generally underindex in their usage of the traditional AM talk model being used by KABC today.

KGO has, perhaps, the best signal of any station in its market, covering well the long, thin, north to south rectangle that is the San Francisco MSA. That station's fall from grace happend when the PPM showed that the lower-cume, high, high TSL of KGO was a myth; the cume was about the same, but real listening was less than half of what was shown in the diary. The PPM shares were much, much lower than the diary ones, and Citadel started mucking with the station.

In 2005 I stayed at a hotel in Pasco, Washington. KGO came in strong at night on the small clock radio in my room.

I think Dr. Drew is just doing this to possibly get a national show on Cumulus somewhere down the line.

TTBOMK There has been no new nationally syndicated talk shows launched in a very long time. The market seems pretty stagnant.

Drew's show is not like most other talk shows. Not really about conservative politics. That's either a plus or a minus.

The most recent major syndicator talk show launch I can think of was Chris Plante, middays on Westwood One, replacing Jonathan Brandemeyer. I think that happened last January.

TTBOMK There has been no new nationally syndicated talk shows launched in a very long time. The market seems pretty stagnant.

Drew's show is not like most other talk shows. Not really about conservative politics. That's either a plus or a minus.

Dr. Drew has previously had national shows on HLN and Syndicated tv at one point. This gotta be a ploy for Dr. Drew to be on the record like Ryan Seacrest and Steve Harvey.

The most recent major syndicator talk show launch I can think of was Chris Plante, middays on Westwood One, replacing Jonathan Brandemeyer. I think that happened last January.

That's more of a replacement host, isn't it? The way Brandmeier replaced Dennis Miller.

Dr drew was great for loveline but is very boring on kabc. Not horrible just bland n boring. Psycho mike should have stayed at kroq. Kabc is a god awful radio station to listen to. Drew hayes should be ashamed of himself for the product that is put out on kabc. 2 shows worth listenin to. Mcintyre n the mornin. Randy wang is great. And peter tilden after that. John phillips is fine but not paired with jillian barberee. Loved her on good day la but talk radio not so much. I say pull the plug on kabc n make it a sports station. It will never see good numbers again.
R.I.P. KABC

Dr drew was great for loveline but is very boring on kabc. Not horrible just bland n boring. Psycho mike should have stayed at kroq. Kabc is a god awful radio station to listen to. Drew hayes should be ashamed of himself for the product that is put out on kabc. 2 shows worth listenin to. Mcintyre n the mornin. Randy wang is great. And peter tilden after that. John phillips is fine but not paired with jillian barberee. Loved her on good day la but talk radio not so much. I say pull the plug on kabc n make it a sports station. It will never see good numbers again.
R.I.P. KABC

it's signal is not usable for sports. Bad demos where it is strongest, too much existing competition, and no team that doesn't use a puck to play with will deem its coverage to be acceptable to use as their broadcast carrier. At this point I am surprised they are not brokered programming, religious, foreign language or any combination of the three 24/7.

In 2005 I stayed at a hotel in Pasco, Washington. KGO came in strong at night on the small clock radio in my room.

Of course it did. You were probably a number of stories up from ground level. I bet other long distance stations came in as well.

....2 shows worth listening to. Mcintyre n the mornin. Randy wang is great. And peter tilden after that. John phillips is fine but not paired with jillian barberee. Loved her on good day la but talk radio not so much....

Certainly agree with this part of your post...

http://laradio.com

Here is an update

They get the credibility of still having me, and it helps me because ‘Ronn Owens KGO Radio’ gets me a better table than just ‘Ronn Owens.’” If you remember in 1998 it was decided to simulcast the midday Ronn Owens show with KABC. It never seemed to work and ended a year later.

Owens departure of his midday show makes way for the addition of Dr. Drew Pinsky. The last two hours of Pinsky’s KABC program (1 p.m. – 3 p.m.) will be simulcast on KGO. There is no word if Pinsky will alter his program to accommodate his new audience in the Bay Area. The big advantage with a two-station simulcast in the same state, there are issues that impact both areas.

With this simulcast, the cast of Dr. Drew’s program changed. As of this week, Mike Catherwood has exited the station and Lauren Sivan is acting as sidekick. She was a co-host on KABC a few years ago with Leo Terrell and most recently on Fox11.

Of course it did. You were probably a number of stories up from ground level. I bet other long distance stations came in as well.

You don't need to be a number of stories up from ground level here in WA state to hear KGO at night. It used to make the Arbitrons in the Seattle area at night in the 70's, it is that strong here.

KFI in Los Angeles has been L.A. Top talk station for some time. I'm not sure when KFI started beating KABC-AM though.

Late 1992, early 1993 was the tipping point. KFI was dominant from that point forward.

But in the case of KGO-AM they got beaten up by NPR News/talk affiliate KQED a decade ago

In 12+, KQED did not become dominant until late 2011 / early 2012. The changes had to much to do with the aftermath of the Citadel bankruptcy and the take-over by Cumulus, not just internal issues at KGO.

right when the Bernie Ward misconduct scandal came into play and also CBS radio responded by putting KCBS simulcast on FM at KFRC-FM 106.9 around the same time in response to KQED's surge in the ratings.

KQED did not surge. It just continually grew over many years. In 2000, it was in the mid-3's. By 2004, it was living in the 4's. By 2009 it was approaching the 5's, and in 2010 it stayed above a 5 pretty much permanently.

Here is an update

Los Angeles television anchor, reporter and pop culture observer Lauren Sivan joins syndicated Dr. Drew Pinsky as co-host of the daily News/Talk program "Dr. Drew Midday Live with Lauren Sivan." The three-hour show debuts this week and features a blend of Dr. Drew's and Sivan's takes on the news of the day, mixed with advice and counseling, celebrity and newsmaker interviews and listener interaction. The program airs live weekdays from 12-3pm on Cumulus Media's KABC-AM/Los Angeles and from 1-3pm in a live simulcast on co-owned KGO-AM/San Francisco.
Sivan has made regular appearances on KABC as fill-in co-host with Dr. Drew in middays and John Phillips in afternoons. She's also anchored the news in wakeups on "McIntyre in the Morning." She previously hosted a "KABC Friday Night Special" in 2016, anchored the KTTV FOX 11 5 O'Clock News in Los Angeles, and reported for FOX 11 and for "Good Day LA." A native New Yorker and a graduate of the George Washington University, Slivan began her broadcast news career in 2003 as morning anchor and reporter for WETM-18 News in Elmira, NY.

Dr. Drew said, "I'm looking forward to working with Lauren and connecting with listeners to talk about life issues, the politics of life and anything that helps listeners improve their personal situations. There is no better place than the legendary KABC and KGO 810 to engage and interact with the people in Los Angeles and San Francisco."

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35116

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom