• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Daytime Skywave in null of directional station!

This is something I have not experienced before.
I found that I am living and working almost smack dab in the middle of a deep null from the fifty-kilowatt WHFS on 1010, about fifty miles away.
The interesting is that their null seems to be deepest on the horizon, but not so deep at high angles.
Throughout the morning and late afternoon, I hear the station fading in and out, sometimes with phase cancelation from the groundwave, and sometimes just plain solid.
If the null were deeper or if the groundwave were not there, I think they would be fairly listenable during those hours.
Is it fair to say that mediumwave stations are less directional or have somewhat different patterns at high takeoff angles than they do along the ground?

This is something I have not experienced before.
I found that I am living and working almost smack dab in the middle of a deep null from the fifty-kilowatt WHFS on 1010, about fifty miles away.
The interesting is that their null seems to be deepest on the horizon, but not so deep at high angles.
Throughout the morning and late afternoon, I hear the station fading in and out, sometimes with phase cancelation from the groundwave, and sometimes just plain solid.
If the null were deeper or if the groundwave were not there, I think they would be fairly listenable during those hours.
Is it fair to say that mediumwave stations are less directional or have somewhat different patterns at high takeoff angles than they do along the ground?

1010 was quite strong in the Tarpon Springs area but no longer. It is harder to get during the day and fades starting in the mid afternoon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom